Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:I read somewhere that the CG retooling cost under 5 million...

That's still the budget of a movie in its own right.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:That's the thing. They're not being very true to video game or animated Sonic. They took the idea of Sonic and, as one review put it, basically made him The Flash. I suspect they invested $85 million in it because 1) Sonic is a known valuable property and 2) they managed to secure Jim Carrey, who tends to sell movies pretty well when he's allowed to play weird characters and chew the scenery. I mean, Jim Carrey WAS poor casting, IF you're sticking to the idea of Dr. Robotnik as Eggman, but the movie isn't, and the way they portray Dr. Robotnik looks like a pretty good fit for Carrey, actually. Reviews have pegged Carrey's performance as, well, what carries the film. And I suspect they didn't outlay a full $85 million right up front. I'm sure Carrey didn't come cheaply, but at the same time, I imagine the budget grew as they saw how the film was shaping up. By all accounts the movie is not some great work of cinema, but neither is it a disaster. Reviews are middling, but generally positive, and the movie has the kind of easy accessibility of a family film. It's probably super easy to ship overseas to boot. I imagine they were looking at the Chinese market when allocating the film's budget, and just got lucky that it did as well as it did here in the US.

I guess they were trying to do a "reboot" kind of thing, which explains the weird first Sonic model. Rebooting in that manner is risky I wouldn't do it. People expect one thing and they get the other. I think its only ok if you bring something from generations back that people have not experienced today. It worked on me with Gone in 60 Seconds and Ocean's 12. I thought they were new movies not remakes. That sad part is that between the original Gone in 60 Seconds and the remake is 25 years, which is exactly the difference I referenced for Sonic height of popularity... I guess I am just old...

Ack wrote:You also have to consider that some of that budget was spent redoing the cgi on a finished film to appease angry fans. It probably wouldn't have cost so much had they not needed to return to post for such an overhaul.

That said, the horror drummed up interest, even if it was hate, because now we look at the redone Sonic and praise it.

I don't know how CGI animation works, but I imagine its horrific to go back and rebuild a 3D model and implement him back in almost all the scenes of the movie. I think that is like doing it from scratch all over again. I have to stop and give respect to the company that made that brave decision, its not a lot of times where corporations would do that. I will have my tin foil hat on and think maybe it was a marketing scheme with the "bad" Sonic. I mean... he looked insanely bad!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ack wrote:
marurun wrote:I read somewhere that the CG retooling cost under 5 million...

That's still the budget of a movie in its own right.

And not an insignificant chunk of the total movie costs, but in the context of the total film's cost, also not excessive.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Wtf there's a new lebowski film. It's a spin-off, but still.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Wtf there's a new lebowski film. It's a spin-off, but still.

I do not abide :(
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Supposed to be trash
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

If anyone has a region free bluray player. This is HUGE news. A limited edition of one of the best horror films ever made: https://101-films-store.myshopify.com/p ... ed-edition

You may not know Saul Bass, but I'm sure you know his work. He made many opening credits and film posters.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Cool. I noted that this movie is available for streaming on Amazon Prime, and I’ve added it to my watchlist on your recommendation.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Intelligent killer ants sounds a very stupid plot, but it was somehow mindblowing.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Movies pre-2000 had a very relaxed and calm tempo to them