Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10102
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by marurun Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:27 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Lucasfilm actually created Pixar, then sold it to Disney.


Don't forget that they were independent between starting at Lucasfilm and being bought by Disney. Steve Jobs funded them and became the majority shareholder when they were independent.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 10102
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by marurun Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:29 am

RCBH928 wrote:I thought Pixar is Disney, basically its the "developer". Disney says what they want and Pixar has the know-how to turn it into a 3D animation.

marurun wrote:I Stuff like Up, Coco, Wall-E, and Ratatouille are films a more "mainstream" studio would never produce or release.


Why not?


Pixar is a separate team within Disney. While they do have to follow corporate mandates, I do believe they have greater independence when choosing projects and stories compared to the "regular" Disney animation team, in part because of the strength of their legacy.

I think a lot of Pixar's more artistic projects wouldn't normally be picked up by a typical studio or team because they're risky. Pixar is probably the only large animation studio in operation that can reliably produce a return even on the more artsy and diverse fare.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
Golgo 14
64-bit
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:26 am

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by Golgo 14 Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:00 pm

marurun wrote:Pixar is a separate team within Disney. While they do have to follow corporate mandates, I do believe they have greater independence when choosing projects and stories compared to the "regular" Disney animation team, in part because of the strength of their legacy.

Pretty much. Disney bought Pixar in 2006, and largely let it continue to run itself as if it were still an independent studio. Disney paid a lot of money for Pixar and didn't want to screw up something that was working, especially when their homegrown animation studio was in a shambles.

That freedom has gradually reduced as the years have gone on and Pixar's founders have left, but there is still a large degree of independence that Pixar maintains due to its continued success. Being outside L.A. helps too.

Of course, this could all change rapidly if Disney decides they want changes since as the owner they have the final say.
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
User avatar
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7839
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:59 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by o.pwuaioc Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:59 pm

Golgo 14 wrote:
marurun wrote:Pixar is a separate team within Disney. While they do have to follow corporate mandates, I do believe they have greater independence when choosing projects and stories compared to the "regular" Disney animation team, in part because of the strength of their legacy.

Pretty much. Disney bought Pixar in 2006, and largely let it continue to run itself as if it were still an independent studio. Disney paid a lot of money for Pixar and didn't want to screw up something that was working, especially when their homegrown animation studio was in a shambles.

That freedom has gradually reduced as the years have gone on and Pixar's founders have left, but there is still a large degree of independence that Pixar maintains due to its continued success. Being outside L.A. helps too.

Of course, this could all change rapidly if Disney decides they want changes since as the owner they have the final say.

Your signature just brought back a whole host of memories.
User avatar
Golgo 14
64-bit
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:26 am

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by Golgo 14 Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:29 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Your signature just brought back a whole host of memories.

Gone, but not forgotten lol
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
NotLuke
16-bit
 
Posts: 71
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:43 pm

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by NotLuke Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Any chance whatsoever that Marvel movies flop after the pandemic?

Are we still getting Jim Richards? Because...

Image
russian image hosting

Also new trailers for BATMAN, WW1984, SNYDER CUT, SUICIDE SQUAD AGAIN arrived yesterday.
User avatar
Golgo 14
64-bit
 
Posts: 362
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 3:26 am

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by Golgo 14 Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:29 pm

NotLuke wrote:Any chance whatsoever that Marvel movies flop after the pandemic?

I doubt they'll flop due to changing tastes, but there's a question about whether they'll be nearly as profitable in the near-term. These movies cost so much they have to do the blow out numbers from packed crowds we've been used to the past few years. If theaters are at 50% capacity for a while, that's hard to overcome.

Of course, they can pick some of that up by selling titles through streaming services. I don't have any desire to watch a superhero movie at home, but I'm sure a lot of people do. The Mulan experiment next month will be a guide as to how profitable that model can be.
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
User avatar
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5136
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:02 pm
Location: Central Texas

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:24 pm

Does anybody know the names of any companies that put out DVDs/Blu-ray’s of Japanese movies in the US? There’s a ton of stuff heavy in special effects I want to pick up, but I’d like to know what companies they come from so I can keep up in the future.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
User avatar
RCBH928
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5169
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:40 am

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by RCBH928 Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:23 am

I am trying to remember a movie I think we saw at school for English. I am not sure if its obscure or cult classic.

Its a short movie maybe 25-45min that is horror/creepy,IIRC it had something to do with someone making a wish with a monkey paw OR the three wise monkeys and their masks maybe. It takes place in some sort of a cottage or a hut. It definitely had supernatural elements to it. I think there is a part when something spooky happens and there is a close up on a statue monkey(or toy) face smiling. I looked it up and it seems there the story of monkey paw but the films from 1933 and 1948 seems to old to What I remember.

Updated: I found this, 30min from 1988. I still haven't seen it but I think it might be the one but I am still willing to hear from others.
User avatar
Ack
Moderator
 
Posts: 21504
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by Ack Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:14 am

Forlorn Drifter wrote:Does anybody know the names of any companies that put out DVDs/Blu-ray’s of Japanese movies in the US? There’s a ton of stuff heavy in special effects I want to pick up, but I’d like to know what companies they come from so I can keep up in the future.

I know of a few:

AnimEigo specializes in anime, live action remakes, and samurai cinema.

Media Blasters is another. While specializing in anime, they also have subdivisions like Tokyo Shock which releases live action films from across several east Asian nations.

TLA Releasing is primarily LGBTQ cinema, but their Danger After Dark line is international horror, including Japanese titles like Suicide Club and Meatball Machine.

Palisades Tartan is the company that currently controls the Tartan Video library. Tartan released a lot of Japanese horror and cult cinema in the US before it folded in 2008, but now you have access again to the Tartan Video Extreme lineup.

Funimation releases a lot of Japanese films, like Shin Godzilla, for the US. Sure, they edit their anime line, but for live action, you can find some cool stuff.

Magnolia Pictures releases some Japanese films under their Magnet line among many, many others.

You can find classics released by the likes of Criterion, and Kino Lorber will do art house and dramatic pieces. Same with Sony Pictures Classic. Keep an eye on their libraries.

I hope this helps some.
Image
Image
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests