Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by RCBH928 Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:34 am

Ziggy587 wrote:When most people hear "Disney movie" they think of an animated children's movie with musical numbers. But there have been many movies released by Disney that are not as such. In fact, there's some movies that you'd be very surprised to find out were Disney. Especially when they went through their dark phase and made some weird sci-fi and horror movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... ures_films

But yeah, as far as high grossing films, any animated movie Disney puts out (not included straight to home) is guaranteed to make some money. They also own Pirates of the Carribean which make a ton of money. And they bought Marvel and Lucasfilms, which also makes loads of money, but I don't think they attach the Disney name to them.

I know Disney is a media Goliath, but I actually meant their children animation movies like Frozen and Wreck it Like Ralph. They are not bad and hold the Disney charm, but I won't compare them to Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin. I didn't see any of the animation-to-film ones but the Aladdin trailer looked like a small time studio tv-movie from the 90s, its obviously a studio with a lot of CGI and very bad choice of actors to represent the characters.

I heard Disney had a phase pre 80s where they were producing edgy and different films under their brand name but that was before my time. I heard people classify Return to Oz closer to horror.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:01 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:To be fair, too, Disney did cut its teeth adapting well-known stories (i.e., fairy tales) into animated movies. Accordingly, adapting well-known, more modern characters and stories into both animated and live-action movies and shows isn’t exactly a huge change for them.

I would like to give Disney a little bit more credit than say they adapted fairy tales into animations. While its true, they completely re-work it so much so that people world wide believe the Disney version is the definitive version. In people's mind Aladdin genie is blue and fat, The Beast's furniture talk, and SnowWhite has to wear the blue&yellow dress with puffy shoulders.

I didn't know they still do that though, I only heard that Moana is based on some Polynesian myth.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:22 am

Disney Animated Studios tends to find more success when basing their films on an existing property. If you look through a list of their offerings since inception, only Lilo and Stitch and Zootopia are the only original IPs that made a profit. I don't count Wreck-It Ralph as not only is it basically a videogame fairy tale it's also basically Shrek.

Pixar tend to get more credit but there's still a reason Toy Story and Cars have multiple sequels and it isn't all for artistic purposes. If Ratatouille or Wall-E had the same kind of merch pull the former had we'd have Rataouille 3: Emile's World Tour (not) coming out in theaters soon.

I do very much hate those "live action" remakes of their animated films though. Totally cynical and artistically barren.
marurun

by marurun Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:10 am

I think Frozen is arguably just as good as most of Disney's work from back in the day, and the songs are definitely up there with the best. And Moana was actually pretty darn good, too, also with strong songs. The lines are beginning to blur with Disney and Pixar as well. Pixar is beginning to run more teams and there are artists and technical people who flow back and forth. I think Disney will continue to keep a kind of separation where Pixar will do more artistically-driven films (with the exception of sequels to existing Pixar properties) and Disney will do the more "mainstream" stuff, but ultimately I think it's as much branding as anything else. Pixar has a certain cachet that lends it more freedom to explore, and Disney will probably try to leverage that. Stuff like Up, Coco, Wall-E, and Ratatouille are films a more "mainstream" studio would never produce or release.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Aug 05, 2020 5:34 pm

OK, I need help figure out the name of a movie...

There's some people that have ESP abilities. Toward the beginning of the movie, they are measuring people's ESP abilities with a model train. They put something on their head that's connected to the train set and somehow they can power the train with their mind. So a young women puts the head piece on and the train starts going. They intercut very quick shots, which is suppose to be the girl having a premonition or something. One of the quick shots is very distinct, it's someone rolling over a person who is revealed to be dead. The camera is close up on the dead person's face, and I believe there's blood on the face. It turns out that this shot of the dead person is at the climax of the movie, and you see the same exact shot. That's all I can remember. I feel like it might have been from the 70's, definitely no earlier than that. Could have been 80's, I'm not sure.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Ack

by Ack Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:32 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:OK, I need help figure out the name of a movie...

There's some people that have ESP abilities. Toward the beginning of the movie, they are measuring people's ESP abilities with a model train. They put something on their head that's connected to the train set and somehow they can power the train with their mind. So a young women puts the head piece on and the train starts going. They intercut very quick shots, which is suppose to be the girl having a premonition or something. One of the quick shots is very distinct, it's someone rolling over a person who is revealed to be dead. The camera is close up on the dead person's face, and I believe there's blood on the face. It turns out that this shot of the dead person is at the climax of the movie, and you see the same exact shot. That's all I can remember. I feel like it might have been from the 70's, definitely no earlier than that. Could have been 80's, I'm not sure.

The Fury (1978)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bphHHR2aVM0
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:12 pm

Random movie thought as my wife and I were watching glory last night. Has Morgan freeman been old his whole life? The dude has literally played "the old man" in a movie for like the last 40 years it seems. Maybe cause I'm only 46 and never seen his younger shit, or maybe he got a late start. I'm only kidding of course, but it seems that way.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:04 pm

Ack wrote:The Fury (1978)

That's it! Thanks :D

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:07 am

I thought Pixar is Disney, basically its the "developer". Disney says what they want and Pixar has the know-how to turn it into a 3D animation.

marurun wrote:I Stuff like Up, Coco, Wall-E, and Ratatouille are films a more "mainstream" studio would never produce or release.

Why not?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:24 am

Lucasfilm actually created Pixar, then sold it to Disney.

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever