Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Disney owns like half of the major theatrical releases. All they do now are nostalgic cashgrabs that people keep falling for because apparently liking something as a kid is enough ground to prove that something is good.
marurun

Post by marurun »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Disney owns like half of the major theatrical releases. All they do now are nostalgic cashgrabs that people keep falling for because apparently liking something as a kid is enough ground to prove that something is good.

Not entirely true. Pixar continues to put out stunning films (mostly) with well-told and meaningful stories. Coco, anyone? And even the regular Disney animated films can be quite good. Moana, Zootopia, Frozen... The songs are excellent and the stories are mostly well-written. As a large public corporation they will definitely be looking to make fists-full of money, and we should absolutely look at their corporate enterprises and creative output with caution, but that doesn't mean there aren't still talented creators within that corporation who are sometimes being allowed to ply their craft.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

PretentiousHipster wrote:There was The Lighthouse which is legit one of the best horrors ever made.

Other recent horrors I loved was Resident Evil: Retribution, Bone Tomahawk, Hereditary, and The Love Witch (not sure if this would count), but yea, older horrors are a lot better imo.

I seen that the lighthouse was on prime so I checked it out last night. I'm not a fan of black and white movies but this was straight up dark. I have my tv set on vibrant, if it was normal I'd think my tv picture was going out. Dont give me that set the mood shit lol. Not a william defoe fan either, creepy looking dude. Sorry man, I thought it was boring. It's going down the shining hole, i just dont find the journey interesting. I fell asleep around the hour mark.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:Disney owns like half of the major theatrical releases. All they do now are nostalgic cashgrabs that people keep falling for because apparently liking something as a kid is enough ground to prove that something is good.

Not entirely true. Pixar continues to put out stunning films (mostly) with well-told and meaningful stories. Coco, anyone? And even the regular Disney animated films can be quite good. Moana, Zootopia, Frozen... The songs are excellent and the stories are mostly well-written. As a large public corporation they will definitely be looking to make fists-full of money, and we should absolutely look at their corporate enterprises and creative output with caution, but that doesn't mean there aren't still talented creators within that corporation who are sometimes being allowed to ply their craft.

Oh Pixar makes great stuff. I was just thinking of stuff like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_D ... ated_films
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

stickem wrote:
PretentiousHipster wrote:There was The Lighthouse which is legit one of the best horrors ever made.

Other recent horrors I loved was Resident Evil: Retribution, Bone Tomahawk, Hereditary, and The Love Witch (not sure if this would count), but yea, older horrors are a lot better imo.

I seen that the lighthouse was on prime so I checked it out last night. I'm not a fan of black and white movies but this was straight up dark. I have my tv set on vibrant, if it was normal I'd think my tv picture was going out. Dont give me that set the mood shit lol. Not a william defoe fan either, creepy looking dude. Sorry man, I thought it was boring. It's going down the shining hole, i just dont find the journey interesting. I fell asleep around the hour mark.

Bone Tomahawk might be more your style as it goes straight to the point. The Lighthouse feels more like a vulgar Bergman film. I just hope you don't mind gore because Bone Tomahawk is full of it lol. It was lower budget and it showed in one gore scene though, but that's not really the film's fault.
Ack

Post by Ack »

PretentiousHipster wrote:
stickem wrote:

Bone Tomahawk might be more your style as it goes straight to the point. The Lighthouse feels more like a vulgar Bergman film. I just hope you don't mind gore because Bone Tomahawk is full of it lol. It was lower budget and it showed in one gore scene though, but that's not really the film's fault.

I think that's also S. Craig Zahler's style. The "gore" he shows in his film Brawl in Cell Block 99 is similarly low budget, but he's admittedly going for a '70s throwback style and uses his effects to match this intent. Dragged Across Concrete isn't gory in this way, but it's still a violent film about crooked cops. I enjoyed and recommend them.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Ack wrote:I think that's also S. Craig Zahler's style. The "gore" he shows in his film Brawl in Cell Block 99 is similarly low budget, but he's admittedly going for a '70s throwback style and uses his effects to match this intent. Dragged Across Concrete isn't gory in this way, but it's still a violent film about crooked cops. I enjoyed and recommend them.

Silly me, that actually makes so much more sense. One set in Bone Tomahawk looked like a high school stage, but it stars big name actors. Intentional throwback to the grindhouse days is much more logical.

I couldn't get into Brawl in Cell Block 99, but tbh Bone Tomahawk is better than most grindhouse films.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ack wrote:I think that's also S. Craig Zahler's style. The "gore" he shows in his film Brawl in Cell Block 99 is similarly low budget, but he's admittedly going for a '70s throwback style and uses his effects to match this intent. Dragged Across Concrete isn't gory in this way, but it's still a violent film about crooked cops. I enjoyed and recommend them.

Silly me, that actually makes so much more sense. One set in Bone Tomahawk looked like a high school stage, but it stars big name actors. Intentional throwback to the grindhouse days is much more logical.

I couldn't get into Brawl in Cell Block 99, but tbh Bone Tomahawk is better than most grindhouse films.

I agree about Bone Tomahawk. Brawl...took a while to get going. I thought the pay off in the end was worth it, and I was impressed with Vince Vaughn, something I never thought I'd say, but it definitely helped that I'd been watching a bunch of stuff like The Big Bird Cage and The Arena around the same time. I was likely very forgiving.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

stickem wrote:

I may check it out, I like kurt russell and mathew fox. I like horror movies, or psychological thriller they are past off as, like high tension or the strangers. Tension throughout the whole movie. Not slow burn indie films you have to think about and get the last 30 minutes of the twist/horror part.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marurun wrote:

To be fair, too, Disney did cut its teeth adapting well-known stories (i.e., fairy tales) into animated movies. Accordingly, adapting well-known, more modern characters and stories into both animated and live-action movies and shows isn’t exactly a huge change for them.