Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

by RCBH928 Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:35 pm

Ack wrote:
RCBH928 wrote:Since a lot of members here seem to watch obscure movies I figured I would ask,
There is this movie that I saw clips from a long time ago, the actors were asian looking and there was a small boy or a girl that was accompanies by an older man that dressed like Charlie Chaplin. There is a part in the movie where they go to a fair and other kids throw cake at them older man. This movie is not earlier than mid-90s but was in color and I don't know the country of production but I am guessing its asian maybe Chinese or Japanese.

Sounds like Laughing Times.

I....I.... I.. can't believe you figured it out. I am dumbfounded. For years I couldn't figure it out. I didn't think anyone would figure it out I just thought let me give it a shot I have nothing to lose. This movie clips is ingrained so far back in my memory I thought I might have imagined it. Allow me to take a moment and give respect to your extensive movie knowledge.

This is the exact moment I am referring to, exactly how I remember it!

I still can't believe you figured it out....(jaw still open)
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:49 pm

Ack, what is your secret? Since you have some sort of magical way of knowing a movie, let's see if you can get one with much less to go off of.

When I was young, I was once channel surfing and happened upon some random movie. I watched a few seconds of the scene then kept going. But there was something about it that stuck in my head, and years later I started to wonder what movie it was. The scene is two men in a forest. By the way they are dressed it is a period movie, pre industrial revolution for sure. I don't remember the exact dialog, but man 1 says something like, "What would you do if I told you I was the king?" And man 2 says something like, "Then I'd bow," in a sarcastic kind of way. Then man 1 says something that proves he's the king in some way, I think, so then man 2 does this ridiculous bow in a mocking kind of way.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:50 am

There was a discussion over at /r/horror that the horror genre no longer has any good productions and all the good horror films were from past decades. I kind of tend to agree, a good horror film is a rare case today I don't see big production or investments in that area. The ones that stick with me from recent years is Babadook which was ok and Hereditary. Then again, even in the past we didn't have great horror movies released on weekly basis at theaters.

-I tend to associate horror with the mysterious and unknown. Films that people are running away from a wild bear or a murderer I consider it thriller.
    -Gore is not horror.
    -Disturbing is not horror. Cannibalism, child abuse, drilling skulls...disturbing, not scary
    -In the past there were many cheesy B-Movie horror so its not all beautiful and great
    -There are some really good ones in the modern era
    -Horror fans seem to be diminishing compared to the 80s and 90s which was mainstream I guess
    -I avoid watching modern horror movies because I know it usually is a weak attempt with repeated formulas

What are your thoughts?
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:01 pm

It's been a minute since I've seen a good horror flick, maybe "your next" or "get out". I dont know, everything has been done. How many slasher, ghost stories, occult movies are made that bring anything new to the genre besides rehashed crap?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:31 pm

I disagree. I think horror is more popular than ever, and I think recent horror films are typically better than older ones. Streaming, in particular, has really allowed the genre to flourish.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:42 pm

I dont go digging around the obsure stuff like a few of yall. What some good mainstream movies the last dew years? I usually see the previews and get interested, never to see them pop up again and miss out lol. I keep seeing like mindfuck horror, just not interested. I know movies like hereditary got good reviews. Stuff like that puts me to sleep though.
PretentiousHipster
64-bit

by PretentiousHipster Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:06 pm

There was The Lighthouse which is legit one of the best horrors ever made.

Other recent horrors I loved was Resident Evil: Retribution, Bone Tomahawk, Hereditary, and The Love Witch (not sure if this would count), but yea, older horrors are a lot better imo.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:05 pm

stickem wrote:I dont go digging around the obsure stuff like a few of yall. What some good mainstream movies the last dew years? I usually see the previews and get interested, never to see them pop up again and miss out lol. I keep seeing like mindfuck horror, just not interested. I know movies like hereditary got good reviews. Stuff like that puts me to sleep though.

Bird Box
Crawl
Doctor Sleep
Get Out
It Part 1
It Part 2
A Quiet Place
Us

These come to mind immediately, and I think they were all pretty popular movies. (I’m into the weird, boring stuff; so, I have only seen one of these. :lol: )
RCBH928
Next-Gen

by RCBH928 Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:49 am

I read The Lighthouse was a snooze fest, lots of talk. I know its what some people find most entertaining, those who are looking for the quirky and different. Not my thing.
Good mention on IT, but isn't it a remake? Not sure if the original was a tv series or a long film. I also forgot to watch Doctor Sleep.

stickem wrote:It's been a minute since I've seen a good horror flick, maybe "your next" or "get out". I dont know, everything has been done. How many slasher, ghost stories, occult movies are made that bring anything new to the genre besides rehashed crap?

There is something in story writing they say, everything has already been done. Its about how you implement it differently. Like superhero movies, we know the drill, but you still can make stuff like Watchmen.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I disagree. I think horror is more popular than ever, and I think recent horror films are typically better than older ones. Streaming, in particular, has really allowed the genre to flourish.

I don't know, this generation seems all about superheroes, action, and drama(tv at least). Renting a horror VHS and gathering to watch it at night sounds like a very 80s/90s thing.

On a side note, I just looked at the top grossing films and there are a lot of Disney and children films. Here I was thinking Disney's heyday of renaissance was over.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:22 am

When most people hear "Disney movie" they think of an animated children's movie with musical numbers. But there have been many movies released by Disney that are not as such. In fact, there's some movies that you'd be very surprised to find out were Disney. Especially when they went through their dark phase and made some weird sci-fi and horror movies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_W ... ures_films

But yeah, as far as high grossing films, any animated movie Disney puts out (not included straight to home) is guaranteed to make some money. They also own Pirates of the Carribean which make a ton of money. And they bought Marvel and Lucasfilms, which also makes loads of money, but I don't think they attach the Disney name to them.

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever