Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Re: Random Thoughts Thread

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Ack wrote:Dafoe should have gotten something just for that amazing furious monologue he gives. It was so appallingly beautiful to watch.

Also, did you guys not enjoy The Best Years of Our Lives?

Not a big fan of William Wyler, but I loved The Heiress.

RCBH928 wrote:[

I didn't see it, was it a silent movie?

Yea it was a love letter to silent films. I guarantee you that if it came out in the 20s it would have been considered by the book, and would have been forgotten about it within a decade, just like it happened to it now.

RCBH928 wrote:You know I just remembered they gave Slum Dog Millionaire best picture. I sometimes think the Oscars try to make a controversial choices for free publicity and keep interest. They also try to push "minorities" to give a more sense of "diversity" and "equality" but in the process they made those who were more deserving lose the recognition.

One of my favourite directors is Indian (Satyajit Ray), but yea Slumdog Millionaire was complete garbage. On one hand I do agree that there shouldn't be forced diversity anywhere, but let's face it, lots of people do discriminate, even if subconsciously. I don't do force it, but for example, 30 of my 50 favourite films of the decade are foreign. The Oscars were always political. Tarkovsky was the perfect example. Praised as one of the best directors of all time, and winning practically every award, but never had an Oscar nominee. I'm sure I know why: he's from the USSR. It doesn't matter what your opinion on communism is as his films weren't political at all, in fact, many were spiritual and even religious, which communism tends to be against. But, the Academy probably thought it would look like they were supporting communism if they nominated his work.

But then again, this is going into social issues which is arguably politics, so it's best not to delve too deep into this :p
marurun

Post by marurun »

RCBH928 wrote:You know I just remembered they gave Slum Dog Millionaire best picture. I sometimes think the Oscars try to make a controversial choices for free publicity and keep interest. They also try to push "minorities" to give a more sense of "diversity" and "equality" but in the process they made those who were more deserving lose the recognition.

This far more often goes AGAINST foreign and minority-made films than for them. The Academy has a distinct Western, and specifically American and white, bias. Seeing the Academy Awards as some ultimate standard for film quality is folly. There are many other awards with more egalitarian, even-handed, and open-minded pedigrees.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Ack wrote:Dafoe should have gotten something just for that amazing furious monologue he gives. It was so appallingly beautiful to watch.

Also, did you guys not enjoy The Best Years of Our Lives?

Nope. I legit hated that movie. :lol:

Ha, I can understand Preten not being a fan of the director, but it struck home for me. Got a lot of friends and family who came back from war and had to struggle to find their place in society, sometimes while dealing with injuries and PTSD.

So...From Here to Eternity anyone? I kid, I kid. The first time I saw it, I only knew the beach scene and was surprised tue movie wasn't some straight up romance.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I hated that one too! :lol:

Forrest Gump is probably my least favorite movie to win best picture. The fact it beat Pulp Fiction makes its win even more galling.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Cimarron is still the most mind blowing to me when you consider the competition it had.

It had foreign classics like M, and a bunch of obscure stuff that no one except me cares about lol. But, the thing is, many praised hollywood films came out that year too. Frankenstein, City Lights, and tons of very entertaining pre-code films. What film won? A western that is painful in every way with an actor clearly made for silent films and is new to sound, and is doing dialogue in the worst way possible, and one that was not even a commercial success which the Oscars care about at times.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I have never been able to sit through Cimarron. It doesn't bother me that it beat out titles like M or Frankenstein just because the Academy has always loathed horror. But whoever held it up as the cinematic achievement of the year need to reevaluate a few things.

I think I despise Shakespeare in Love the most, though Driving Miss Daisy and Green Book also irk me.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I haven't seen Green Book, but it looks like total garbage.

Gave the following 1 or 2/10 for best picture winners in chronological order:

Cimarron
Gone With the Wind
My Fair Lady
Chariots of Fire
Driving Miss Daisy
Titanic
Shakespeare in Love
Gladiator
Million Dollar Baby
Crash
Slumdog Millionaire
marurun

Post by marurun »

Guys, we have a movies thread. This is totally not random enough for this awesome RANDOM THOUGHTS thread.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

marurun wrote:Guys, we have a movies thread. This is totally not random enough for this awesome RANDOM THOUGHTS thread.

To be fair, these aren't the last films we've seen :P Perhaps the posts should be moved to a new general movies thread?
Last edited by PretentiousHipster on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Re: Movies Talk! Talkin' about movies!

Post by marurun »

We now have a movies thread! Welcome to the movies thread! Yaaaaaaaaaay! *waves arms in the air like Kermit the Frog*
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile