Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 10: The Rebootening

by Nemoide Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:36 pm

Hell yeah! Mad Love has a lot of great stuff in it despite being generally a flawed movie. IMO Peter Lorre's best performance, helped by his striking appearance! It's based on a book called The Hands of Orlac which was made into a (very different) movie in 1924 which is one of the greats of silent horror.

Tonight I watched The Conjuring. I passed over it when it first came out after being let down by a bunch of other haunted-house/exorcism movies, but now that it's a CINEMATIC UNIVERSE :roll: I feel an obligation to at least see the first one. To my surprise it was pretty decent! For the first half especially, I thought it was a solid haunted house movie. But once the plot starts to focus on demonic possession, I feel like it loses its effectiveness. Possession stories have never really done anything for me. It might be because I'm not Christian or because I don't have kids to fear for the safety of. I don't know if I'm going to bother with any of the sequels, but I'm glad to have at least seen this one.
Golgo 14
64-bit

by Golgo 14 Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:40 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:That’s how I’ve always viewed the original film. He was a victim of mob justice, and whether he actually deserved his fate is, at least somewhat, questionable. (He’s not doing a lot to help his case by coming back from the dead as a purely evil entity that murders people in their sleep,however.)

A+ parenthetical :lol:
Inazuma wrote:Nah, I never found any good velcro shoes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:43 am

I want to talk a bit about interesting double features. This is something my wife and I have always been into doing - kind of making our own double billing for a movie night. Not so much in direct sequels or anything (though sometimes), but more, just INTERESTING combos.

Here's some examples of what I mean, and spoilered for those that don't want to know the connection/haven't seen the movies...

A: Black Christmas
B: Behind The Mask

Supposedly, the dude that 'trains' Leslie in Behind The Mask is supposed to be Billy from Black Christmas.

A: Psycho
B: Halloween

Sam Loomis = Sam Loomis.

A: Being John Malkovich
B: Get Out

Ret-connned sequel.

So if anyone else has any other interesting double features that involve at least one horror movie and make cool connections as above to otherwise unrelated films, let's hear em.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:16 am

Later in the month I'm planning a double feature of The Blob and Killer Klowns from Outer Space for friends who only know one or the other. Killer Klowns uses a LOT of tropes and motifs from The Blob, so I'm expecting them to pair up nicely.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:29 pm

October Movie #1

Killer Workout
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:39 pm

Michi wrote:October Movie #1

Killer Workout

good review. I'll be honest, we watched Killer Workout and Death Spa around like 2006 or 2007. I kind of get them jumbled in my mind. I don't remember either being "good," but both being "fun" in a USA Up All Night sort of way.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:54 pm

noiseredux wrote:

Killer Workout

good review. I'll be honest, we watched Killer Workout and Death Spa around like 2006 or 2007. I kind of get them jumbled in my mind. I don't remember either being "good," but both being "fun" in a USA Up All Night sort of way.

Oh, totally. I think the difference is:
Death Spa is fun in a 'this is completely ridiculous and over the top' kind of way.
Killer Workout is fun in a 'this is completely horrendous' kind of way.

Both are fun. Just for different reasons.

But when it comes to looks, Death Spa is much easier on the eyes.
Ack

by Ack Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:25 pm

Killer Workout

I warned you.

And if you want more of that kind of action, you could follow it up with this David A. Prior classic:

Or if you feel you need less leggy lasses and more manly muscles, this may just be right up your alley:

I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 pm

I've been diving into a ton of YouTube lately and I've seen quite a few things related to Asian horror movies and... whatever Old Boy, I Saw the Devil, and Suicide Club count as. I want to dig into that, but Old Boy and I Saw the Devil are the only ines I've seen so far out of stuff I've seen suggested, and a lot of these videos haven't told me where the stuff they showed came from. Any suggestions on places to start?

Also, a Crow has a nest outside my house now. Crows are really uncommon here, so that's a creepy development.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:48 pm

Ack wrote:

Killer Workout

I warned you.

And if you want more of that kind of action, you could follow it up with this David A. Prior classic:

Or if you feel you need less leggy lasses and more manly muscles, this may just be right up your alley:

Oh! I've actually seen Deadly Prey! The blond guy's short-shorts still haunt me :lol:

Did you know Rifftrax did a reel of it? I saw it on Twitch and got 10 minutes in before my traumatic flashbacks kicked in and I realized what I was watching. Up until that point I must have purged it from my mind.

Haven't seen Mankillers, though. I'll have to put that one on my Watchlist for later.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever