Racketboy Month of Horror 10: The Rebootening

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy Month of Horror 10: The Rebootening

Post by Nemoide »

Since my last post I've seen three more:
Critters 3 - so the first Critters is excellent, the second Critters is okay, and the third one is... tolerable I guess. It has a young Leonardo DiCaprio and features more of the critters being critters, but it just feels kind of dumb and hollow. The most memorable gags involve a critter eating beans and farting and another critter drinking dish soap and burping bubbles. Whatever. This is definitely the more "wannabe Gremlins" than the first two and the plot makes considerably less sense. But it ends on a cliffhanger and I bought the box set so I'm definitely going to end up watching Critters 4.

Creepshow 2 - It's been over 15 years since I've seen this movie; the only segment I really remembered was "The Raft" and the animated bit that ends with "they eat MEAT." As an adult, I can definitely see how this is a big step down from the first movie; it's lacking in the really great 50s-comics aesthetic that George A. Romero was able to deliver and instead looks more like a conventional horror movie (though still shows its retro-comic book roots in the bookending sequences and general campiness). It's still a fun movie though that probably fits into my top 5 Stephen King movies just for being some lightweight entertainment. (Just for fun #1 The Shining, #2 Carrie, #3 Creepshow, #4 The Mist, #5 Creepshow 2)

Wrong Turn - A 21st century "classic" that I never watched before now, but I saw there are 5 sequels and a reboot on the way so I thought I might as well familiarize myself with the original. It's very much a "evil hillbilly" movie, focusing on some cityfolk who run into a group of deformed cannibals in the rural hills of West Virginia. It does what it does well enough, but it didn't really bring much in the way of new ideas (or ANY ideas) to the genre. The cannibals might as well just be ogres instead of people; there's no backstory as to WHY they seem to live a lifestyle of killing and eating people, they don't even speak beyond grunts and laughs. I get how this film was popular in 2003 when gory horror was just coming out of its dormancy of the 90s, but it's exactly what I imagined it was and I really could have skipped it. Give me the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre over this any day of the week.

And while it wasn't a strict goal, I managed to actually fit in 31 spooky movies for October!
1. Ghost
2. The Conjuring
3. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
4. The Omega Man
5. The Haunted Mansion
6. The Wasp Woman
7. Scooby-Doo and the Witch's Ghost
8. Mr. Brooks
9. The Last House on the Left (1972)
10. The Banana Splits Movie
11. You're Next
12. Lady in White
13. Transylvania 6-5000
14. The Frighteners
15. Psychos in Love
16. The First Purge
17. Black Sunday
18. Don't Breathe
19. The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014)
20. Halloween III: Season of the Witch
21. Area 51
22. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2
23. Mr. Boogedy
24. Scooby-Doo and the Curse of the 13th Ghost
25. The Lighthouse
26. The Abominable Dr. Phibes
27. Prince of Darkness
28. Silver Bullet
29. Critters 3
30. Creepshow 2
31. Wrong Turn

Oh, and I don't think I mentioned it in the thread but I played through Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth on the Wii, which was a pretty solid classic-style Castlevania game! There are a few bits that I found annoying, but it's a HUGE improvement over the original Game Boy version.

I still have some movies checked out of the library, and I do have some unwatched discs I bought, but I'm looking forward to slowing down my movie watching pace and coming back to non-Halloween reality. Tomorrow I'll put away my decorations, I'll stop eating candy like there's no tomorrow... but I'm still going to hit up a Halloween store to see what heavily discounted things I can find!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Awesome work, Ack and Nemoide. I’m always impressed with how many movies you can get through in a month. Also, your reviews are great - not Michi-great, but still pretty great - and they have piqued my interest in a few films.

For Halloween, my wife and I watched The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016). It is directed by Andre Ovredal, who also directed the very good and very funny Troll Hunter. This is not a found footage film, however. Moreover, it is entirely in English, takes place in rural Virginia, and is very much a traditional horror film. In it, the pristine body of beautiful young woman is discovered half-buried in the basement of a house that was the scene of a gruesome mass murder. The body is brought to a local funeral home for an autopsy, and as the two men conducting the autopsy notice, not only strange things about the body, but also increasingly strange things happening around them. Unlike the two protagonists, anyone who’s seen a horror film before will figure out what’s going on in the first 30 minutes of the film. It still fun to watch it unfold, and the fact that the two protagonists are performing an autopsy means the movie has a great mix of clinical gore and supernatural scares. I enjoyed the film quite a bit, but my wife thought it was pretty dumb. (She’s probably right, but I still liked it.) The Autopsy of Jane Doe is available for streaming on Netflix; so, anyone with the service can watch it instantly.

prfsnl_gmr’s Halloween Movies 2019 (The Ill-Conceived Reboot)
1. Witchboard - :)
2. Mad Love - :)
3. The Love Witch - :D
4. Goodnight, Mommy - :)
5. The Monkey’s Paw - :)
6. Spider Baby - :D
7. Bone Tomahawk - :)
8. Creepy - :D
9. Opera - :)
10. Black Christmas - :D
11. Veronica - :|
12. The Return of the Living Dead - :)
13. The Autopsy of Jane Doe - :|
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween!

I spent the evening pumpkin carving, and watching old favorites and TCM all night. Then this morning I got up a bit early and headed to the store to pick up some cheap candy and some decorations for next year. Good times.

Thank you everyone for participating. This is my favorite thread of the year, and I love reading your thoughts on new movies, old Halloween staples, and seeing pictures of your mood tables. I hope to see you again next year!

But before I go, here's a couple pictures of my pumpkin this year (plus one bonus cat cause she was being super cooperative.)

Fly, Kirby, fly.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

That’s awesome, Michi! The pumpkin looks amazing, and that cat’s pretty cute too!

BTW, here’s my son’s Halloween costume:

https://imgur.com/gallery/4pcH3h8

I think it’s pretty cute!
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Michi: That Kirby pumpkin is excellent! And while I'm sure your black cat is great year-round, he's EXTRA-good for the spooky-season.

prfsnl_gmr: Your son's costume is great! I appreciate that kids are still dressing up as Jason.

Last night I had did the traditional post-Halloween visits to find stuff on clearance! Spirit Halloween was a letdown with their costumes only being 25% off for now, so I didn't get anything. Halloween City (run by Party City but occupying an old Toys-R-Us) was better with a 50% discount: I got a vampire costume to use next year. I haven't been a vampire since I was a kid, but I think they're cool. Any excuse to dress gothy and have some fake blood!
I also hit up Target, which has everything 50% off and I bought some giant googly eyes and a motion-activated haunted 1980s PC. I don't really have room for it, but as a Halloween enthusiast who's also into vintage computers, I felt that I needed it.
Anyone else find any good Halloween clearance treasures?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

B-B-B-B-BONUS MOVIE!!!

Since a powerful storm effectively cancelled trick ‘r treating in Charlotte on Halloween, there was an informal city-wide agreement to let kids go trick ‘r treating last night. (It worked wonderfully. My kids had a blast and got way too much candy.) my wife and I decided that it didn’t feel right to take our kids trick ‘r treating and NOT watch a horror film when we got home; so, last night, we watched Dead Birds (2004). In that delightful, relatively low budget period horror film, a group of confederate deserters, a former confederate nurse, and an escaped slave rob an Alabama bank, murdering everyone in their path, and escape to an abandoned plantation home. Their safe house turns out to be not that safe. While the acting and effects are hit-or-miss (and I mean that...the acting and effects range from spectacular to amateurish), the unique setting and solid direction make Dead Birds a delight that plays out a bit like an antebellum Hellraiser. (Available on Prime video!)

prfsnl_gmr’s Halloween Movies 2019 (The Ill-Conceived Reboot)
1. Witchboard - :)
2. Mad Love - :)
3. The Love Witch - :D
4. Goodnight, Mommy - :)
5. The Monkey’s Paw - :)
6. Spider Baby - :D
7. Bone Tomahawk - :)
8. Creepy - :D
9. Opera - :)
10. Black Christmas - :D
11. Veronica - :|
12. The Return of the Living Dead - :)
13. The Autopsy of Jane Doe - :|
14. Dead Birds - :D
Ack

Post by Ack »

Oh man, Dead Birds! I haven't watched that in nearly 15 years! I'm glad you were able to stumble across that particular little treat, Prfsnl. Even hit or miss, it's better than I expected way back when.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:Oh man, Dead Birds! I haven't watched that in nearly 15 years! I'm glad you were able to stumble across that particular little treat, Prfsnl. Even hit or miss, it's better than I expected way back when.

Yes. “Way, way better than I expected, or that it has any right to be” pretty much sums up my opinion of the film. Glad there’s another fan on here. Also, I see that they actually filmed it in southern Alabama (which looks remarkably like eastern North Carolina), and I appreciate the “authentic” southern location (even if only one of the actors could do a decent southern accent!).

EDIT: my wife, who has an eye for this sort of thing, remarked that the house and the furniture in Dead Birds looked too modern for the Civil War era, and conducting a bit of research, I see that she’s right. The “plantation” home used in the movie was not built until 1895.