Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: Avoiding Spoilers

by marurun Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:27 am

I think there are some films, usually mystery, horror, or crime films, that can benefit from surprise twists, but for me, my enjoyment comes from the telling of the story. Research has shown that for most people (though not all) spoilers actually heighten anticipation and enjoyment.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Re: Avoiding Spoilers

by o.pwuaioc Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:31 am

marurun wrote:I think there are some films, usually mystery, horror, or crime films, that can benefit from surprise twists, but for me, my enjoyment comes from the telling of the story. Research has shown that for most people (though not all) spoilers actually heighten anticipation and enjoyment.

This is the researcher (Christenfeld) who is the leading figure, I believe, on spoilers:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10 ... 7611417007
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: Avoiding Spoilers & Reveals

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:52 am

Again, I've been using the term "spoiler" incorrectly to just describe any kind of reveal or giveaway that I feel is too much to know prior to experiencing the (movie/game/whatever) for the first time.

isiolia wrote:Someone watching it for the first time, like 12 year old me when it came out in theaters, is going in knowing that the dinosaurs will run amok, and that's all those covers are really showing. They aren't revealing if people escape, or which.

The thing with that JP cover though, I feel like it just reveals too much from that action sequence. The other covers to the sequels feel more generic and less specific. I know exactly which scenes they are, too, because I've seen the movies. But the that cover for the first one just has too many things that stand out.

isiolia wrote:It's not all that uncommon to have some elements from the movie tossed onto the cover or poster.

Of course, and I love classic covers/posters compared to what we get these days. But they don't usually depict full scenes form the movie like this. Let's use Live and Let Die as an example.

It has many elements from the movie, but doesn't giveaway anything. Maybe your could assume that there will be an action sequence with boats/cars, but even then it's not an actual still shot from the movie.

Come to think of it, A View to a Kill poster spoils the ending of the movie...

This isn't a still shot from the movie like that JP cover is, but it's pretty close to it! Was this the original 1985 movie poster that would have been hanging in a cinema to advertise the movie?

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:11 pm

It's true, at no point in Live and Let Die does a alligator fire a speedboat from its mouth. It really should though.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:17 pm

Sload Soap wrote:It's true, at no point in Live and Let Die does a alligator fire a speedboat from its mouth. It really should though.

I know, that made me laugh too. :lol:

My Sale Thread - I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
marurun

by marurun Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:21 pm

That Live and Let Die poster sums up the movie so well: glorious and ridiculous excess!
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:46 pm

In fact, all of the Roger Moore Bond movies had awesome posters like that, with the exception of A View to a Kill for some reason.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:24 pm

Octopussy the movie has absolutely zero to do with Octopussy the Fleming short story.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:32 pm

MrPopo wrote:Octopussy the movie has absolutely zero to do with Octopussy the Fleming short story.

This is also true for The Living Daylights, Moonraker, Quantum of Solace, The Spy Who Loved Me, And A View to Kill.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:48 pm

Octopussy stands out, though. Octopussy the short story barely even involves Bond. It's the internal narration of a guy who likes to play with a blue ring octopus he names Octopussy, and then one day he lets it roll down his back and it bites him and he dies. Then Bond shows up and finds the guy he was supposed to kill is already dead. The end.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever