Avoiding Spoilers & Reveals

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Avoiding Spoilers

Post by Ziggy »

There was an episode of Friends in which Joey was reading The Shining. I had seen the movie, but not yet read the book. There are some major differences between the book and movie, and Joey reveals some big points. I was kind of upset because I was planning on reading the book shortly. The ironic part though is that Joey thought he was speaking in code as to not spoil anything for Rachel who was reading the book for the first time, but his code is easily deciphered. I guess I can't be mad at a 20 year old show for spoiling something in a 40 year old book.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Well, it fucking happened. I knew it would happen. A suggested video on YouTube spoiled Star Wars Episode IX for me.

Actual movie spoiler contained in spoiler tags!
Spoiler.JPG

I mean, I suppose I already figured that Palpatine returns because you could hear his laugh at the end of the teaser trailer. That bit was actually spoiled for me without even watching the teaser trailer! But hearing the laugh doesn't confirm the return of a supposedly dead character. It could have been a force ghost, or who knows what. But now the cat is out of the bag.

Now, I still haven't seen Episode IX, so please no one mention anything else about it! Even though I was super disappointed with Episode VII and VIII, I still want IX to be spoiler free when I eventually watch it!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Dude...

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Nope, never saw that promo poster until now.

Look, that's exactly my point in this thread. Sometimes I want to go in absolutely blind. And that's just impossibly hard to do. Palpatine returning is a big fucking deal to the plot of the entire saga. I would have much rather had that revealed while watching the movie for the first time rather than it being spoiled before hand.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

But it's not a spoiler. It's on the poster and in the advertising. Palp's speech about his return was broadcast during a Star Wars themed Fortnite event before the movie came out.

It seems to me that you, and seemingly many others, are mistaking what a proper story spoiler is, i.e, Kevin Spacey is Kaiser Soze, versus just wanting to be oblivious of any media you consume before entry. With something as massive as Star Wars or Avengers that just isn't going to happen. That's before you get into the fact that most of these films or TV shows that people don't want spoiling aren't well written enough to have anything meaningful spoiled in the first place.

Genuinely, how arsed are you about Rise of Skywalker if you haven't been yet given that the film has been out for nearly a month now? If it wasn't a film with the clout of Star Wars it wouldn't have been screened that long so you would have missed it anyway.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Sload Soap wrote:It seems to me that you, and seemingly many others, are mistaking what a proper story spoiler is, i.e, Kevin Spacey is Kaiser Soze, versus just wanting to be oblivious of any media you consume before entry.

Alright, maybe I'm using the term "spoilers" wrong. But you're right, my gripe is that I want to know as little as possible going in. I don't want to know that Palpatine returns. I'd rather be genuinely surprised when that is revealed while watching the movie for the first time versus having the knowledge prior. Now that I know he returns, I'll just be WAITING for his on screen appearance form the moment the movie starts.

True story about Kevin Spacey being Kaiser Soze, that was actually spoiled for me. I saw Scary Movie (the first one) before I saw The Usual Suspects for the first time. While I didn't know who Soze was at the start of the movie, I realized where the spoof was from as soon as that ending sequence started. So it did spoil that entire sequence for me.

Sload Soap wrote:Genuinely, how arsed are you about Rise of Skywalker if you haven't been yet given that the film has been out for nearly a month now? If it wasn't a film with the clout of Star Wars it wouldn't have been screened that long so you would have missed it anyway.

I decided to wait for the home release. I'm actually not mad at all, I just think it's ridiculous how much of the movies they give away. You must admit, having no prior knowledge of Palpatine would have been a huge surprise while watching the movie for the first time.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Palpatine being back is revealed in the opening crawl of the movie. So while if you had no idea he was back it would be surprising, it would also be the single worst way for that to be your introduction to it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

LOL, OK, bad example for this thread. The sequel trilogy sucks.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

To be honest Ziggy, you've done amazing to get this far without it being spoiled so whatever you do works. That or you don't work with douchebags.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Actually, a week or two ago a coworker asked me if I saw Rise of Skywalker and I answered with a "NO! SO DON'T SAY ANYTHING TO ME ABOUT IT!" :lol: