The gardening thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: The gardening thread

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sounds like good progress.

I made some changes this year. I'm in the process of getting rid of my old raised beds (which rested on the lawn) as the wood is rotted to shit. Replaced them with plastic beds (the kind with legs) that I have on the deck.

Also, no seeds this year. Went the seedling route instead. Right now I have lettuce, broccoli, and some herbs in. I may honestly be forgetting a few things too.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

You're waaay further north than me. I've got broccoli and carrot seed I'm gonna sow towards late summer for a fall crop. Do you get to have a decent stand of corn? Or are you too far up the globe?

Raised beds: we have an implement that we use with a tractor that builds up a raised bed and drops a drip irrigation line at the same time. Never done the "traditional" raised bed, though I know people like them.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Corn grows in Maine! Just never attempted it myself.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Corn is really hard on the land. Not very sustainable.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

We have expanded the garden for the 8th year again. Six raised beds - 8ftx4ft or 8ftx2ft, aobut 30x32ish in ground, and a dozen pots. The big add this year is a 6ft tall arch for cucumbers.

This year we have about dozen pepper varieties (hungarian wax, jalapeno, bellpepper, lantern peppers, etc), two types of eggplants (italian and indian), three types cucumber, six types of tomatoes, two types of peas, three types of garlic, 60ft of sweet corn, 10ft of okra, a couple watermeleons/pumpkins/squash/sunflowers, spinach, bokchoy, red cabbage, and of course various herbs and things a few things that I have forgotten.

The big experiments this year are elephant garlic to turn into black garlic and dinosaur broccoli/Romanesco broccoli. We have not had good luck with Broccolis.

I have wanted to build a green house for years but neighborhood wont allow it because "it is an eye sore." Yet I am technically allowed to till up my front yard to put in corn.
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I need to get ground worked up. I have some beans I've saved from last year that I'll plant. Also, I'll do some peppers and corn. Not really gonna go all out this year.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've asked my mom to sprout some Sweet Anne (Wormwood). The first batch of seeds were DOA, waiting for results from the 2nd order.
I want to make some real Absinthe. I didn't know all of the available store-bought was all just colored and flavored vodka and not actually psychoactive.
I intend to grow some An - Sweet red asian beans to make some Anpan and Taiyaki. I finally have a gas stove so I can use my Taiyaki press properly.
I've been out of town for far too long. I will be back home soon and need to visit two nurseries. One for veggies and one for smokables.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I thought the whole "absthine makes you go crazy" stuff was just rumour/badmouthing (?)

If you do the beans please post pics. I love beans. I'll do a bigger post in the future once I get everything going.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

opa wrote:I thought the whole "absthine makes you go crazy" stuff was just rumour/badmouthing (?)

Proper wormwood is hallucinogenic, but you're right. It's not thought that the drink itself had enough to do it:

https://www.healthline.com/health/absin ... lucination
opa
128-bit

Post by opa »

I've planted "tobacco patch beans" (a dry, bush bean variety) and I have my cayenne and habaneros going.
I need to plant okra when I have a chance over the next few days. I hate okra but I try to cook it different every year to give it a chance. lol

I helped my dad plant some sweet corn. Corn fresh out of the garden is the best.