PS3 moved to the SD CRT

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
SpaceBooger

PS3 moved to the SD CRT

Post by SpaceBooger »

With the Wii losing Netflix next month and my kids getting an XBOX One for Christmas, I moved the PS3 from the 50" Plasma HDTV in the front room to the 32" Sony WEGA in the basement.

I have it hooked up via component cables... but something feels off and I don't think its just the lower resolution. The games feel slower... is it just me and since it looks different it feels off or does the lower resolution and different inner workings of the TV matter?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: PS3 moved to the SD CRT

Post by isiolia »

Wouldn't think it would slow things down on an NTSC TV at least. Could be there's processing going on to scale it down to SD resolution or downsample audio, if the boxes are still checked to allow outputting them.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

isiolia wrote:Wouldn't think it would slow things down on an NTSC TV at least. Could be there's processing going on to scale it down to SD resolution or downsample audio, if the boxes are still checked to allow outputting them.

I thought the same thing. If the higher resolutions other than 480 are checked the signal is crazy and doesn't work.
I think it's just me not used to it. Maybe its the lack of detail, or the fact I have been playing PC games at 60+ fps for the last year and the PS3 seems slow... I don't know.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I don't recommend PS3 on an old crt tv cause game text is going to bother you, I don't know ps1 or ps2 games.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

benderx wrote:I don't recommend PS3 on an old crt tv cause game text is going to bother you, I don't know ps1 or ps2 games.

It's either that or get rid of the CRT...

I don't want to get rid of the CRT my NES & N64 are hooked up via composite cables. My Genesis (modded), SNES and Saturn are hooked up via S-Video. My original XBOX, Wii, and PS3 are hooked up via component cables. If I replace the CRT with an HDTV the CRT would have to go and I would not have one for my retro games. The main motivation for moving the PS3 was Netflix. Netflix will stop supporting the Wii and since the CRT is the TV my kids watch the most - no Netflix is horrible. I could always convert HDMI to component for a FireTV or Roku, but that is not in my current budget.

It was kind of a lose-lose situation.
BLOG | BST
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I went over to a family member house playing Minecraft setup in 4:3 on a HDTV, changed to 16:9. Make sure your PS3 hard drive isn't full at %100 cause the OS for PS3 can cause slow down. Also PS3 models depending which one you have to do a fan dust clean sequence, not sure how to. Get yourself a small costco rack shelf and HDMI splitters/component to make room for consoles.

Back in ps1 days some family kid played Tony hawk pro skater 2 with cheats causing gravity issues/slow down.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

SpaceBooger wrote:
benderx wrote:I don't recommend PS3 on an old crt tv cause game text is going to bother you, I don't know ps1 or ps2 games.

It's either that or get rid of the CRT...

I don't want to get rid of the CRT my NES & N64 are hooked up via composite cables. My Genesis (modded), SNES and Saturn are hooked up via S-Video. My original XBOX, Wii, and PS3 are hooked up via component cables. If I replace the CRT with an HDTV the CRT would have to go and I would not have one for my retro games. The main motivation for moving the PS3 was Netflix. Netflix will stop supporting the Wii and since the CRT is the TV my kids watch the most - no Netflix is horrible. I could always convert HDMI to component for a FireTV or Roku, but that is not in my current budget.

It was kind of a lose-lose situation.

Used EDTV or HDCRT?
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I guess my question is does Netflix on the PS3 through the CRT seem to perform adequately? If that's the main priority here and it performs well, then sacrifice the poorer PS3 gaming experience in exchange for keeping the CRT. If you really have to play a PS3 game, grab the console and take it to your other TV. You probably wont even have to disconnect power and hdmi as you'll likely be able to borrow that from some other device currently hooked up to you HDTV.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |