Best Buy to Pull CDs In July - Continue To Sell LPs

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

A sign of the times with convenient streaming and digital downloads. CDs and eventually DVDs will no longer be sold. No doubt Bluray and 4k discs will follow. Interesting that LPs will still be carried at Best Buy after the July Music CD removal; the music records have been merchandised with turntables at most store locations for over a year.

Just as music digital download and piracy is killing the Music CD, will the "cut the cable" Netflix, Hulu and Amazon video streaming sites hasten the wipe out of disc owned movie titles?

Best Buy - Target - Walmart Exclusives Lost
Best Buy, Target and Walmart for certain premium new titles have their own exclusives for Music CDs offering extra tracks and Video Discs having extra footage and sometimes a bonus book. These too will go away as the Digital only option kills owning titles.

Bill Board on Feb 2, 2018 wrote: https://www.billboard.com/articles/busi ... -only-when

Best Buy to Pull CDs, Target Threatens to Pay Labels for CDs Only When Customers Buy Them

Even though digital is on the upswing, physical is still performing relatively well on a global basis -- if not in the U.S. market, where CD sales were down 18.5 percent last year. But things are about to get worse here, if some of the noise coming out of the big-box retailers comes to fruition. Best Buy has just told music suppliers that it will pull CDs from its stores come July 1. At one point, Best Buy was the most powerful music merchandiser in the U.S., but nowadays it's a shadow of its former self, with a reduced and shoddy offering of CDs. Sources suggest that the company's CD business is nowadays only generating about $40 million annually. While it says it's planning to pull out CDs, Best Buy will continue to carry vinyl for the next two years, keeping a commitment it made to vendors. The vinyl will now be merchandised with the turntables, sources suggest.

Meanwhile, sources say that Target has demanded to music suppliers that it wants to be sold on what amounts to a consignment basis. Currently, Target takes the inventory risk by agreeing to pay for any goods it is shipped within 60 days, and must pay to ship back unsold CDs for credit. With consignment, the inventory risk shifts back to the labels.

According to those sources, Target gave the ultimatum to both music and video suppliers in the fourth quarter of last year that it wants to switch to scanned-based trading, with a target date of Feb. 1. But while it is proceeding to push DVD vendors to switch to scan-based trading terms (i.e. the chain would pay for DVDs after they are sold or scanned while being rung up at the register), it has moved the deadline back to music suppliers to either April 1 or May 1. So far, music manufacturers are not sure what they are going to do, but sources within the various camps say that at least one major is leaning no, while the other two majors are undecided. If the majors don't play ball and give in to the new sale terms, it could considerably hasten the phase down of the CD format.

Target has greatly reduced its music presence over the years. Once upon a time carried as many as 800 music titles, and nowadays seems to carry less than 100 titles in most stores. Yet, it can still be a powerful force on big titles. For example, the chain moved over 500,000 CDs of Taylor Swift's Reputation album. Music manufacturers suggest they are waiting to see what happens with DVDs. If the studios don't give into Target's demands, will Target pull DVDs from the store? How that plays out will likely influence what happens in music, sources suggest.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Best Buy to Pull CDs In July - Continue To Sell LPs

Post by isiolia »

CRTGAMER wrote:Interesting that LPs will still be carried at Best Buy after the July Music CD removal; the records have been merchandised with turntables at most store locations for over a year.

Just as music digital download and piracy is killing the Music CD, will the "cut the cable" Netflix, Hulu and Amazon video streaming sites hasten the wipe out of disc owned movie titles?

Sounds like they're simply contractually unable to get rid of LPs yet - though at least around me, they have little space dedicated to them anyway.

I think we'll still see physical media available for a while yet - it's still the best quality, and there's an audience for that. Selection at brick and mortar might dry up, but I think that has at least something to do with trying to optimize floor space.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yes they have a vinyl contract though it apperently sells less than CD's surprisingly.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Best Buy will "pull CDs from their stores," but does that mean online too?
marurun

Post by marurun »

I like Amazon for CDs these days, because they also give you digital access, and the price is no more than just digital, in most cases.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yeah I went into a Best Buy for the first time in a while and was surprised how little physical media they had now. I only went in to see if they has an SNES Mini and actually had to figure out where the gaming section was. Seems like Target has a bigger gaming section that Best Buy now. (I didn't even see CDs whereas I do see some at Target)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:I like Amazon for CDs these days, because they also give you digital access, and the price is no more than just digital, in most cases.

Agreed. I don't buy CDs much anymore as I've been pretty content with streaming for now. I will buy the occasional vinyl of favorites, and I may do the same with CDs, but Amazon is nice with that digital match.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Unless it's a brand new release, Amazon CDs are usually cheaper than the digital album. And in a lot of cases, buying the CD gets you the album digitally anyway.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Yeah, and even though I'm probably listening to the digital version, I really want the CD as a backup. CDs only take up so much space and they are pretty durable these days, especially if stored well.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Yeah, I like buying the CDs even if I take it out of the case once and store it. Means I can rip to whatever format(s) I want. Most of the time, I do end up buying them online, though Target occasionally has versions with bonus tracks and the like. Same as they sometimes do with Blu-ray editions. I suspect that if physical media really gets to be niche, we'll wind up seeing more of that (and end up paying for it).