Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The "Is This a Good Deal?" Thread

by noiseredux Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 am

yeah here's my thinking:

NCAA2k3 -- I'm not really plannning on reselling. BUT if I were to find a CIB copy for cheap, then I'd just sell the loose one.

PSOIII - I think it's been re-pressed by gamesquestdirect for $12 anyway. So for a bit more I can get it CIB and brand new. So I'll pass on that one I think.

oh and thanks for changing the title of the thread. Like I said, I think there was another thread like this, but I can't find it now. Maybe we should get this thread stickied? Mods?
molotovwars
Next-Gen

Re: The "Is This a Good Deal?" Thread

by molotovwars Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 am

If finds of the day isn't stickied I'm sure this won't be either. There are many of this kind of thread, like the "OMGWTFBBQ Craigslist Thread" a "What's this Worth" thread" if they were all stickied there would be little room for new threads haha.
the7k
Next-Gen

I'm looking at a 3DO for $20... should I take it?

by the7k Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:50 am

Gotta friend of mine who knows someone with a warehouse full of stuff he's trying to get rid of, including a 3DO for $20. However, from what I know, it doesn't have a controller with it. So, just wondering... should I take the shot?

What if it also doesn't come with cords? Would it be worth it still?

I'm sure coming across games for it'll be difficult, so how about playing 'backups'? Is it a pretty straight-forward deal, or is it complicated?

What about region locks? Will I be able to play Japanese games easily, or is it complex?

How reliable a system is the 3DO? Will it last me a good while, or are they failure-prone?

Also, any game recommendations would be nice, I suppose. I'm already planning to get Super Street Fighter II, Samurai Shodown and Star Control 2. Heck, I'll probably get every 2D Fighter on it, even Rise of the Robots.
jp1
Next-Gen

Re: I'm looking at a 3DO for $20... should I take it?

by jp1 Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:54 am

Sounds reasonable. As far as cords it wouldn't really matter since it uses standard hookups and the power cord is built in.

EDIT: Game recommendations

Cannon Fodder
Need for Speed
Gex
Crash N Burn
Hell
Myst
Road Rash
Return Fire
Lucienne's Quest
The Horde
AD&D Slayer
Flashback
Alone in the Dark 1 & 2
D
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

by Weekend_Warrior Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:59 am

Yeah. If I had the cash to burn then I would buy it

If for some reason you don't like it, I'm sure you could always sell it on Craigslist for the same price (or more).
Last edited by Weekend_Warrior on Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
zxqdms
32-bit

by zxqdms Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:59 am

For $20, I would buy it if it works.

Do you know what version it is?

The one I have is an FZ-10. For the version I have, you can use standard composite cables with it. I used a power cord from a Dreamcast for mine. Playstation power cord should be fine as well.

Playing backups on my machine was pretty straight forward. No mod-chips or disc swapping needed. I've heard other versions do not read backups. I don't know anything about playing imports.

I don't really know what games to recommend, I didn't really buy it to play particular games. I just bought mine because it was really cheap and I was interested in homebrew.
Last edited by zxqdms on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikeage
128-bit

by Bikeage Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:02 am

$20 seems cheap, but I would be on the fence too if it was just the console and no hookups, I would want to test it, especially being a CD-ROM based system.

I'm curious as to what advice you get. A Craigslist ad for a 3DO with 15 games for $150 just popped up in my area, and I was wondering if that was too steep.

And whatever system its on, Rise of the Robots is never worth it. Fifteen years later and I still have not forgiven myself for spending $60 on it when it was new.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

by pepharytheworm Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:02 am

If its a 3do FZ-1 the power is attached and it takes standard rca cables. Region wise its pretty much free except certain games like Blue Forest Story and other very text heavy japanese games. I think there is a good reccomendation thread some where else on this site. Burning is easy, you do it the same way as Neo Geo cd games.

As for japanese games I recommend Yu Yu hakasu, Doctor Hauzer and Pretty Solider Sailor Moon.

US game Luicenne's Quest

Check 3DOkid's youtube channel for best list, import games, and everything 3DO
http://www.youtube.com/user/3dokid
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:11 am

$20 sounds fine to me, assuming it works.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

by Dakinggamer87 Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:57 am

I would go for it but hopefully you can test prior just to be sure!! 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever