The "Is This a Good Deal?" + "What's This Worth?" Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
molotovwars
Next-Gen

The "Is This a Good Deal?" + "What's This Worth?" Thread

Post by molotovwars »

If you have questions about if something is a good deal or not please post it here.

I've erased my original question simply because the post was from 2008, linking to expired craigslist ad for an item I did not buy.

Mods, if possible please move to the Whatever section.
Last edited by molotovwars on Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

for a modded game cube.......Id say maybe. pix?
diehllane
32-bit

Post by diehllane »

Yes, gamecube games can be burned. You can download the isos or use the same drive that copies Wii games to copy them. You can also usually back them up through the gamecube with a broadband adapter since that cube is modded. You can actually burn the games to full size discs and either take the top off or buy an alternate case that accepts full size discs.

What mod chip is in it?
Atari 2600 (AV mod), NES, SNES (region switch for PAL), Virtual Boy, Gamecube, Wii (D2CKey), PSX (Stealth V), PS2 (independence exploit w/ 160 GB HDD), Goldstar 3DO, Philips CD-i, Dreamcast, Saturn (racketboy's chip), Sega Genesis 2 + CD2 + 32X + Power Base Converter, Game Gear.
molotovwars
Next-Gen

Post by molotovwars »

actually, I believe its just a region switch. My friend has one and if its what I'm thinking than its a small switch on the back to switch between Japan and USA. I sent him an email asking for pictures including pictures of the region switch, once he responds I can ask for a specific name of the switch.

Are gamecube size blank media discs publicly available for purchase?
Cerulean
64-bit

Post by Cerulean »

yeah they're just mini dvd media.
diehllane
32-bit

Post by diehllane »

Yep... You can buy them on ebay in groups of 10, 20, 50, 100 or more usually.
Atari 2600 (AV mod), NES, SNES (region switch for PAL), Virtual Boy, Gamecube, Wii (D2CKey), PSX (Stealth V), PS2 (independence exploit w/ 160 GB HDD), Goldstar 3DO, Philips CD-i, Dreamcast, Saturn (racketboy's chip), Sega Genesis 2 + CD2 + 32X + Power Base Converter, Game Gear.
molotovwars
Next-Gen

Post by molotovwars »

i've thought about it and I don't think I'm going to buy it. If it was an actual modchip like the viper or qoob I would, but because its only a region switch I do not think it can play backups. The region switch is just two wires on a switch soldered to two points, and when the switch is flipped it the GC thinks its Japanese.

Now that I've looked around at modchips, if I do find one with an actual modchip I'll probably buy since the process looks a little expensive to mod (30 for the chip, plus 7 for the gamebit (unless you use the melted pen trick), potential 20 for a case that allows you to use full size dvd-rs, all that on top of the cost of the cube. So yeah unless anyone has experience with a region switch and can verify i can use it for backups than i'll pass.
HeavyMetalMe
128-bit

Post by HeavyMetalMe »

My money would say... NO. But that's just me. Do more research before you go into it.
High-Brow Gag & Pure Shooting
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: good deal?

Post by noiseredux »

I feel like we have a dedicated thread for checking "is this a good deal?" but I can't seem to find it now... anyway, two separate Gamecube offers:

Phantasy Star Online: Ep. III (disc only) - $5
NCAA College Basketball 2k3 (disc only) - $5

should I grab these? I mean the prices are great, but they're disc only... should I hold off and see if I can nab CIB copies at a reasonable price, or would that make me a naive fool?
molotovwars
Next-Gen

Re: good deal?

Post by molotovwars »

wow, you bumped an OLD topic of mine...

I'm sure there are other threads for this, but if you want I'll edit the first post and a mod can move it to the Whatever section.

As far as your questions:
Phantasy Star III Card Revolution is not worth anything. It can easily be had for $5-10, don't get it mixed up with Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Online Plus.

If you are planning on reselling, then yes pick up NCAA Basketball 2K3. I think you'd be able to toss it on Amazon and sell it quickly, though I don't track the prices for that game.