Vinyl Music - Record player recommendations?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Vinyl Music - Record player recommendations?

Post by Ziggy »

Fast, what about the LP120? I thought that was the current go-to DD table. It's sub $500. I know there's arguments for belt versus DD, but I prefer DD myself.

https://www.amazon.com/AT-LP120BK-USB-D ... 028&sr=1-5

(Supports 78RPM, by the way)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I think price vs performance without record murder that Audio Technica for $100 would be the best choice. (LP60)

I never really knew about how the piss poor Chinese cheapos doing that kind of hell on the surface of the old media and that's not good. I'd put that up with a worn out head/motor on a tape deck chewing your old cassettes to pieces on the same level.
marurun

Post by marurun »

My wife has a Sony PS LX250H, which is basic but functional. Tone arm is pre-weighted and you can’t switch the cartridge, though the needle is replaceable. Something like that used would be sufficient and cheap.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I had a very similar model Sony (if not that exact model) as my first stand alone turntable. I bought it used off eBay for about $30. I used it for a few years, then happened upon an upgrade. I gave the Sony table to a friend, and he's been using it since then. As far as I know, it still works fine.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I found something that has been at the goodwill the last few days, it's $20 but I didn't pick it up, kind of wondering maybe if I should.

Are any of you familiar with the radio shack branded REALISTIC Clarinette system? It has a turn table on top, dual tape deck, receiver, and 2 speakers. I don't know if it got used a whole lot, a little surface scratching on top of the front metal before you hit the clear/dark plastic cover for the record player. In there it still has the original cardboard cover over the platter, the various rubber bits, and the manual all stuffed in there. I know it powers on but hadn't tried the features.

The model is the Clarinette 114. Just curious if this mid/late 80s sound system would be worth it or not. I tend to like vintage stuff like this and wondered if it was maybe worth my while over ordering the online thing. I would have to make a bit of room as the speakers are like a like a foot tall, maybe 8x8 around.

I can't find much on google, but this old ad to sell one is the right thing, shows the front/back(with numbers) manual etc.
http://www.nfapstore.xyz/vintage-stereo ... -21502.htm

And an original old ad with description/picture:
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/html/1986/h056.html
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I really want an Audio-Technica AT 727 (Sound Burger), tho I don't own enough vinyl, and I don't listen to them often enough to justify the price...
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
marurun

Post by marurun »

Honestly, a laser player is the real way to roll.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Psh. Too many moving parts to break down. Solid state FTW !
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I take it that 1980s Clarinette 114 if it's even there still which I doubt now is not worth commenting on.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Tanooki wrote:I take it that 1980s Clarinette 114 if it's even there still which I doubt now is not worth commenting on.

It looks cheap and not worth the time. Most Radio Shack consumer audio products of that era were made in a budget-minded way...cheap parts, sub-par sound quality, etc.