The Polybius Conspiracy: Investigative Podcast by Radiotopia

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

The Polybius Conspiracy: Investigative Podcast by Radiotopia

Post by Jagosaurus »

Listen to The Polybius Conspiracy - A podcast from Radiotopia Showcase

Wow... I stumbled on this in my Stitcher feed and expected it to be a short series on the myth itself. We've all likely heard of the black cabinet that hurt children and was checked by Men in Black. It has become part of pop culture from the Simpsons mall arcade to a NIN/Jeff Minter music video (I mentioned in a RB thread here).

Instead this team dives in from a journalistic point of view. I had no idea there was a man in Portland who claimed to be part of the Polybius experiment back in 1981. They even find a reporter who wrote on this arcade in question back in the time-frame. After looping her in ~35 years later is where it starts getting weird.

No spoilers here in OP, but keep listening... by the conclusion of episode 2, you'll think Bobby is perhaps a little nutty. By the end of episode 3 there are some very strange coincidences coming from three or four different parties and deep dive sources. These share some odd similarities to his story and the overall lore :shock: . Is Bobby crazy.... maybe. Is there something weird going on with this subject... maybe. Give it a listen, make it to the end of E3. I am cranking up E4 right now (which is already showing in Stitcher app, but not not on the site yet). I have no idea how E4 will change my perception or if there will be an E5 but it's been a fun ride so far!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: The Polybius Conspiracy: Investigative Podcast by Radiot

Post by CRTGAMER »

Nice!

Quoted you wth that link back in my Arcade Cabinets: Prototype and Unreleased Urban Legends thread. Have a dedicated Polybius post there (scroll down the posts) with a download link of the game.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Fun Fact: Polybius is the name of a famed Greek historian of the Hellenistic period...just how far back does this conspiracy go?!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Fun Fact: Polybius is the name of a famed Greek historian of the Hellenistic period...just how far back does this conspiracy go?!

They bring this up! One of the reported programmers also slipped a supposed quote from Polybius into something.

benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

I had a feeling that particular arcade website started the polybius myth. Troll doesn't want spill the guilt. It's gameover. Polybius is now a made up video game from Homebrew to PS4 game to Xbox one.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

That is the first record of the name, not the lore itself.

Episode 5 posted (on Stitcher anyway). Listening now!