Help Choose Icon for "Pushed The Limits" Series

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Help Choose Icon for "Pushed The Limits" Series

Post by racketboy »

So on the front page, I have little sprite icons for the different series of guides.

I'm planning on swapping in Games That Pushed the Limits to replace "Game Art" -- not sure why I didn't do that earlier.
(I also have a PS1 installment coming soon!)

Anyway, I was thinking about something like a computer chip, a robot, or something speed-related.

Below are some of the best ones I've found so far, but not in love. Anybody else have any ideas?

limits-icons.gif
limits-icons.gif (34.42 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Help Choose Icon for "Pushed The Limits" Series

Post by racketboy »

Here's a coupe samples with them added in
limits-icon-ex-1.jpg
limits-icon-ex-1.jpg (193.02 KiB) Viewed 2383 times

limits-icon-ex-2.jpg
limits-icon-ex-2.jpg (211.87 KiB) Viewed 2383 times
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

To me, the chip doesn't really convey the idea well. I see that, and I think hardware or technical details. Arguably, the same could be said for some of the other icons - the sprites for defining games and genres, for example, don't really line up with those concepts.

Additionally, and this might just be speculation, but I'm not sure how great an idea it is to be using what is likely (or could be) protected artwork as design elements. While the nature of the site is likely going to feature a lot of copyrighted material in articles, that's done in a way that falls under fair use. As an icon, it might be okay for a fan site, but maybe not for a bigger monetized one.

As an alternative to the speed concept (though a speedometer/rocket/etc would work), maybe some play on the glowing TV/monitor with a player (or players) being shocked/amazed.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Of those two, I definitely prefer the chip, but I think a tachometer with the needle at the far edge of the red would likely convey the idea better.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

isiolia wrote:To me, the chip doesn't really convey the idea well. I see that, and I think hardware or technical details. Arguably, the same could be said for some of the other icons - the sprites for defining games and genres, for example, don't really line up with those concepts.

Additionally, and this might just be speculation, but I'm not sure how great an idea it is to be using what is likely (or could be) protected artwork as design elements. While the nature of the site is likely going to feature a lot of copyrighted material in articles, that's done in a way that falls under fair use. As an icon, it might be okay for a fan site, but maybe not for a bigger monetized one.

As an alternative to the speed concept (though a speedometer/rocket/etc would work), maybe some play on the glowing TV/monitor with a player (or players) being shocked/amazed.

All very fair points. And yes, I'd prefer not to have something that is a protected work, if possible. But I'll admit it's pretty tricky to choose a retro feeling icon to convey what you're looking for.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Of those two, I definitely prefer the chip, but I think a tachometer with the needle at the far edge of the red would likely convey the idea better.

It is a nice idea!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

So here's a few that I found along with a rough, mosaic-pixelization to give you an idea of what the could look like at lower-res/sprites

Thoughts?

limits-icons2.gif
limits-icons2.gif (104.13 KiB) Viewed 2368 times
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I think simplest is best. It would better match the other icons.

limits.png
limits.png (3.36 KiB) Viewed 2361 times
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Michi wrote:I think simplest is best. It would better match the other icons.

limits.png

Agreed. Although I do prefer the color scheme of the tachometer on the left of Nick's post.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Main potential problem with that one is that it looks very much like an icon for a Google product.

Something like what Michi posted is likely better - to me, the more muted colors evoke more of an early gaming, limited color palette kinda thing.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Michi's design is good, but I want stronger colors. The red needs to be very red, and maybe the other colors should be slimmer lines. So the light blue is only a third of the depth of the red, and the dark blue 2/3 of the red. That would make it more obvious.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.