Anybody watching the new DuckTales?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Anybody watching the new DuckTales?

Post by Gunstar Green »

Segata wrote:One thing that really really bugs me about many new cartoons is they have no detail. I love 80s cartoons for the detail in characters and backgrounds. These days everything is so simple looking. It's hideous to me.

In fairness DuckTales was not really a typical 80's cartoon either. Disney put an absurd amount of time and money into its production compared to its contemporaries. It was in a league of its own. You can't really justify dumping that kind of cash into TV animation these days.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I had forgotten that this new Ducktales was coming out so thanks for the reminder.... It sounds like a good show. I'll give it a watch with my 4 year old over the weekend and report back!
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Just to be clear I'm still recording and watching it. I'm trying to distance myself from it being supposedly Duck Tales, at least the real and true Duck Tales. I'm thinking of it more as Duck Tales in name and character names/locations, but something all together brand new and it makes it far better because you're not getting repeated what the hell were they thinking moments watching it. I just watched the latest last night on DVR and it was fairly fun with Gladstone and that luck ghost.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tanooki wrote:Just to be clear I'm still recording and watching it. I'm trying to distance myself from it being supposedly Duck Tales, at least the real and true Duck Tales. I'm thinking of it more as Duck Tales in name and character names/locations, but something all together brand new and it makes it far better because you're not getting repeated what the hell were they thinking moments watching it. I just watched the latest last night on DVR and it was fairly fun with Gladstone and that luck ghost.

Yeah I had some good laughs with the Gladstone/Donald dynamic there... :)
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I'm in the same boat as the others who are a bit jarred by the look and feel. It's just a little too flat and lifeless (though it has one of the best-animated western cartoons to live up to). I also think the characterizations of the triplets are a lot less likeable than before, and launchpad is more generic dummy than lovable oaf.

That said, Scrooge is really good. I am not as big a fan of the voice though. I know it's David Tennant and that he's a real Scot, but he just doesn't have the oomph and charm that Alan Young did. Otherwise, he's a great character. They've given him some depth and no just reduced him to a social comment like I was afraid they would.

The story is also good, I like the overarching plot (it seems like true episodic shows just don't come out anymore), and it's giving everyone a good spotlight. Donald is also nice to have in the show more, I always liked seeing him in the old cartoon.

Overall it's a good try, even if it has that trademark corporate Disney "Yeah-it's-good-but-it's-a-little-bland" sheen.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Anybody watch the new one yet? DuckTales meets Silicon Valley :). While it was disappoint to not see certain characters in an espisode, I like that the team is already adding good variety to the storylines and formula.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

The Scrooge and Glomgold bits were hilarious.

Mark Beaks was insufferable but that was the entire point I guess. :lol:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I must be use to the new animated art style. I dig it. I also am assuming it is mostly, if not all, done in a computer program for budget and time purposes. I agree it does give it a comic feel. It is nice to actually have this drawn look versus everything being CGI. There are several but a few others done like this by Disney:

The new Disney XD Spider Man art style:

The upcoming Big Hero 6 series as well:

The humor however feels a little off to me. It's a bit too edgey perhaps? Hard to describe but seems more Cartoon Network than Duck Tales to me. My son loves it though so that's all that matters. I've watched two episodes with him.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Gunstar Green wrote:The Scrooge and Glomgold bits were hilarious.

Mark Beaks was insufferable but that was the entire point I guess. :lol:

Yeah, the Billionaires club thing was great. Glomgold never stuck out to me a ton in the original series, but I think his bits are pretty solid in this series. The slide project animation was pretty great this time.

My wife had a theory on the voice of Mark Beaks (she was wrong), but I laughed when I realized it was Big Head from Silicon Valley :lol:
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Josh_Brener
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I am a diehard fan of the original series and the comics. I was super nervous about the new show, I thought that David Tennant was going to be stuntcasted (sadly Alan Young could not be Scrooge again). Some of the preview videos only made me more nervous. But once the first episode hit I was sold. The episodes have only been getting better. The Fermies episode was awesome and really channeled parts of the story of "Land Beneath the Ground" in a way to not damage the original series "Earth Quack" and tell a great story on its own.

I want a bluray boxset to go next to my original series.