Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Leg

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:After the second Hellraiser weren't they all just random scripts that they just added Cenobites to and called Hellraiser? They're like horror Die Hards.

No, I believe 3, 4, and 9 were all original Hellraiser scripts, though I also believe they all saw massive revisions or were slapped together in a few weeks. The others though... Random scripts. It worked out in Inferno, even if by that point the series had wandered far away from its original story. Unfortunately, it pretty much only worked in Inferno. By the end, they're insultingly bad.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Yeah I liked Inferno as well. Haven't seen Hellworld or Deader or whatever that last one is called.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers

Once again we have a slightly misleading poster. First, no, they really weren't ready for Michael Myers. Also, who is Myers getting revenge against at this point? It's not like he hasn't killed off half of Haddonfield by now.

I liked 4 more than I was expecting, but unfortunately Halloween 5 fell flat for me. There is suddenly a psychic connection between Michael Myers and his target, Jamie Lloyd, but this didn't serve to do much beyond forcing me to sit through the occasional kid having a seizure, and it seemed to occur at random times without any sort of coherency. This town has also rebuilt awfully fast, and they now have a legion of sheriff's deputies. I sure wouldn't want to work as a deputy in this town. And then there is Dr. Loomis, who at this point is pretty much abusively crazy towards kids and apparently can put together booby traps at the drop of a hat and has a secretly stashed tranquilizer rifle. And then there is the man in black, who serves no real purpose except to make sure that they could make a 6th film by once again completely annihilating the sheriff's office and everyone inside. Haddonfield goes through more cops and police departments than NYC, I swear. Those poor people must be getting taxed to death. Michael Myers isn't just a serial killer, he's every city comptroller's worst nightmare.

Anyway, yes, by this point we've moved into ludicrous plot land...and yet Halloween 5 is still gorgeously shot, with some wonderful use of lighting and shadow that makes most other slashers look atrocious as a result. Particularly Hellraiser: Hellworld. Then again, a bowl full of jello makes for a better look than Hellraiser: Hellworld. But I have to give credit to cinematographer Robert Draper for some solid work. He's mostly done TV movies in his career, but he also worked on the Monsters TV show, Tales from the Darkside, and Dr. Giggles, so horror isn't outside of his wheelhouse. Bravo to him. The script may be terrible, but the film certainly looks polished. It's also helped along by actors who know what they're doing and are convincing, even the children, so it's not a total loss.

Really the only complaint I have is that the script just bugs me. But hey, this is the 5th in the series. I'm just lucky Myers hasn't ended up coming back as a zombie or been sent into space yet. Or it was his mother. Or it was a monkey dressed up to look like his mother. Because that could happen.

16/31

1.Poltergeist II: The Other Side
2. Ring
3. Ring 2
4. Rasen
5. We Are Still Here
6. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
7. Hellraiser: Bloodline
8. Hellraiser: Inferno
9. Pulgasari
10. I Walked with a Zombie
11. Hellraiser: Hellseeker
12. The Leopard Man
13. Hellraiser: Deader
14. Hellraiser: Hellworld
15. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
16. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Tonight's film: Mad Love (1935)
This was Peter Lorre's Hollywood debut, in which he receives top-billing, and he really shows off his talent for being a creepy creepazoid. His appearance is extremely striking throughout with his head being completely bald, and at one point wearing metal gloves and a bizarre neck-brace. He almost single-handedly brings the film to greatness, but there are enough stumbling-points with the rest of the story for it to not quite get there.
The film is kind of a remake of Hands of Orlac (a fantastic film from the silent era), which is about a talented piano player whose hands are replaced with those of a murderer and then finds himself with a murderous impulse as the hands seem to take on a life of their own. Except this movie isn't really about Orlac and his hands so much, it's more about the surgeon, Dr. Gogol (Lorre), and is unrequited obsession with Mrs. Orlac. Lorre's character comes across as sadistic, twisted, perverse, repulsive and sympathetic in the darkest possible way. His character the film is really an excellently conveyed villain and I'm impressed this movie demonstrates how sexually threatening he is while conforming to the Hayes Code.

Unfortunately, the whole plot with Orlac and his hands, which should be pushing much of the narrative, feels like a weird side-story and it doesn't really work. There's also a good amount of humor in the film, but it often falls flat and dampens the horror elements. I'd easily recommend this one to fans of Peter Lorre, but it's definitely not a classic on its own merit.
Lorre was also in another "pianist whose hands turn evil" movie, The Beast with Five Fingers. I'll have to see that one at some point. If nothing else, it has a stellar title.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Halloween-y games I've beaten in October so far:

Dracula: The Undead (Atari Lynx of all godforsaken things)
Ghost Sweeper Mikami: The Master Exorcist with the Nice Body (SFC)
Hammerin' Harry: Ghost Building Company (GB)
Haunted House (2600)
Jack Bros. (VB)
Maerchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
Monster Party (NES)
Musya: The Classic Tale of Japanese Horror (SNES)
Samurai-Ghost (TG16)
Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue (PC)
Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (NES)
Uninvited (NES)
Vampire: Master of Darkness (SMS)

That's 13 down so far. My big boy pants goal is 20. There is no reason, don't look at me that way. Themed gaming rampages are a blast, thus spoke Zarathustra! I don't recommend anyone doing anything like this ever.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

More movies!

Contamination

Italy made a lot of rip-offs and mockbusters in the 1970s and '80s, and Contamination is no different. If you can't tell from the poster art, this movie tried to pull heavily from Alien in its advertising. It also uses the idea of killer alien eggs that were inspired by HR Giger's work, though budgetary constraints caused the plot to be drastically reworked. And then the producer interference began, from the name (Contamination was supposed to be used for a different rip-off film of The China Syndrome) to the plot to the special effects. That said, director Luigi Cozzi did at least get to pull in some cast and crew from films such as Starcrash and Zombi 2, so he probably saved a few bucks there.

But how is it? Awful! The plot is silly: an alien cyclops is using a possessed astronaut to release its eggs on Earth, eggs which cause people to explode if they come in contact with them! And then there is a special section of the government trying to solve the case, where their biggest struggle is their own ineptitude and completely misplaced sense of design for how American agencies look, particularly law enforcement and military branches. But hey, never let a low budget get in the way of what the people want: gore. And this film features people's bodies exploding almost instantaneously after they bloat up from the obvious pumps hidden under their clothes. The effect looks awful, yet it was intense enough to get this movie added to the Video Nasty list in Britain.

While the audio has not fared well over the years and sounds distorted and muted, the soundtrack is by none other than Goblin, albeit using songs they wrote for other films. Goblin was hired by Dario Argento to redo the soundtrack for Dawn of the Dead when it was released in Italy, and while those songs have never found their way back into the film in any release, many of them were used in other cheap B- or Z-grade genre pictures in Italy at the time. I recognized one of them while I was watching Contamination and applauded their use. Because sometimes Goblin is the best thing these movies have going for them.

Could this have been good? Probably not. There was never a budget, it was always going to be a rip-off film, and Luigi Cozzi's name isn't exactly synonymous with quality. Yet studio interference and nationalistic protectionism in the form of moral outrage on the part of nations like England definitely cut into this movie. It's worth seeing a few folks' chests pop like bubbles though.

Exorcist II: The Heretic

Man, the '70s were weird. Exorcist II is not the most '70s film I've ever seen; that honor belongs to The Visitor. But this movie sure as Hell is trying. I really am not sure what to make of it. It pretty much took the plot of Exorcist and decided to give it the finger and then throw itself out a window while locust swarms attacked it. There's a lot of bizarre sets and costuming, some weird ideas and philosophies regarding evil and psychology, and a demon that just comes across as bland. It doesn't help that the script was apparently being rewritten daily, so the end result is disjointed, awkward, and frankly dumb. But then, that kind of helps give it that '70s vibe.

To add to it, director John Boorman didn't have the budget or was able to get permission to film on location, so just about everything was done on a sound stage on a Warner Bros. back lot. That means heavy use of matte paintings and miniatures, which contribute to the strange dreamlike quality that the film possesses...as well as the most hideous psychiatrist's office I have ever seen in my life. Seriously, the 1970s were a weird time. Nobody should design offices like that.

Did I like it? That's tough to say. I'm struggling to say I even understood it. I appreciate things about its appearance, but it's a mess of material. It is a crazy ride though, one that I feel should be entirely divorced from its predecessor. As much as I laughed at The Exorcist, it's a much more effective film than this. This is crap. Not bad crap, but crap nonetheless. I don't recommend it to fans of the first film. I recommend it to people that want their movies bizarre, eerie, and illusory. Movies that blend fantasy and reality in strange ways and leave you wondering what it is you just watched.

Really, view at your own risk on this one, folks.

18/31

1.Poltergeist II: The Other Side
2. Ring
3. Ring 2
4. Rasen
5. We Are Still Here
6. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth
7. Hellraiser: Bloodline
8. Hellraiser: Inferno
9. Pulgasari
10. I Walked with a Zombie
11. Hellraiser: Hellseeker
12. The Leopard Man
13. Hellraiser: Deader
14. Hellraiser: Hellworld
15. Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers
16. Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers
17. Contamination
18. Exorcist II: The Heretic
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I bought the trilogy on blueray not too long ago but i wasn't sure whether i should rewatch the second film because some said that it was the boring kind of bad. I didn't like the first film when i saw it during my teenager years and my opinnion of it didn't improve much when i saw it again recently so it doesn't really matter to me if the second film is bad if it's enjoyable to watch in some way. I probably won't get around seeing it this halloween but i will eventually rewatch it.

Shame that the third film ended so abruptly and badly because that movie was actually really good until it fell apart.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Ack wrote:As much as I laughed at The Exorcist, it's a much more effective film than this.

I maybe had the wrong approach to The Exorcist, but yeah it completely bored me to be honest. Rosemary's Baby which I got to this year, I personally liked a lot more.
Ack

Post by Ack »

The problem I had was that I found The Exorcist hilarious. I laughed when I saw it. Hard. On the other hand, Rosemary's Baby bored me. Religious horror films just aren't as effective for me. I can appreciate their quality, but the basic concept tends not to do much for me.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah, religious themed horror or ghost stuff thesedays really bores me for the most part. Enters that "trying too hard" territory to me. I'd much rather have more abstract surreal weirdness like Jacob's Ladder, or just straight up slasher/monsters.