Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Legacy

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Month of Horror 8: The Hellworld Gospel Resurrection Leg

Post by noiseredux »

I love Pumpkinhead but probably chalk it up to nostalgia. The second is super fun though and full of horror cameos.
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

Nemoide wrote:Watched Hotel Transylvania tonight. I'm an animation nerd, but I have a pretty strong bias against CGI. But this one has monsters, was directed by Gendy Tartakovsky (of Dexter's Lab & Samurai Jack fame), and had Rebecca Sugar (of Adventure Time and Steven Universe fame) doing some storyboards, so I figured I should give it a try.

This is a pretty mixed bag TBH. On one hand, the character designs are fantastic and look like classic cartoons, with characters' weight being carried in an expressive way I really like. Visually this film is wonderful. The timing is great. Unfortunately the story is about as bland as can be. This is the type of kids movie where you can guess the entire plot's trajectory within the first 10 minutes.

I'm feeling a bit burned out on kid-movies and classic films, I think I need some gore in the near future...

The overly expressive faces are what actually really turned me off. I just couldn't take them and had to turn the movie off.

I thought the pumpkinhead was really dull. The creature did look really good but that didn't save otherwise mostly boring film.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

The Pumpkin Head movies are a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm not sure which one it is, but one of the ones in the series passed from enjoyable Z-Grade to decent movie for me. I'd have to watch them again to be sure.

While not technically horror (or maybe it is, I've been drinking and can't think straight, thank God for autocorrect) I did another run through of Bloodborne and I've also been playing Dark Souls 3, which IMO was heavily affected by Bloodborne, at least in Boss design.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

My favorite part of Pumpkinhead was the fact that the male protagonist looked like Tim Heidecker. That, and the late 1980s fashion.

My wife and I also watched My Cousin Rachel (2017) the other day. It is based on a Daphne du Maurier novel, which means it was very gothic. I really, really liked it, but I could not describe it as horror. Hopefully, o will get back to those this weekend.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

I just noticed that Blood Salvage is now available on Amazon Prime. It looks like the quality could be a bit clearer, but it's loads better than trying to track down a VHS/Laserdisc or what I found on Youtube.

Here's a link for anyone who was interested: Convenient Link
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Halloween-y games I've beaten in October so far:

Avenging Spirit (GB)
Dracula: The Undead (Atari Lynx)
Ghost Sweeper Mikami: The Master Exorcist with the Nice Body (SFC)
Hammerin' Harry: Ghost Building Company (GB)
Haunted House (2600)
Jack Bros. (VB)
Maerchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SFC)
Monster Party (NES)
Musya: The Classic Tale of Japanese Horror (SNES)
Night Slashers (Arcade)
Samurai-Ghost (TG16)
Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue (PC)
Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti (NES)
Sweet Home (FC)
Terrordrome (PC)
Uninvited (NES)
Vampire: Master of Darkness (SMS)

Well that's 17 down so far. I might actually hit 20. I've already beaten my failed "Summer Themed" games attempt earlier this year. And I'm currently playing two more spookya games right now. One rhymes with "violent bill" and the other rhymes with "oh ma sorry, bite a bone".

As for movies, I'm planning to watch this at somepoint this week:

--
Last edited by Exhuminator on Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Breeders

A NYC detective and a doctor get caught up in a surprise alien invasion after investigating a series of bizarre and violent rapes.

There are some movies that are so bad they’re good. There are some movies that are so cheesy they end up being fun. But then there are some movies that are so boring and uninspired that all the potential fun just gets sucked right out of it and it ends up being a chore to watch. Breeders ends up being a bit of a combo of all of the above, but mostly it falls into the later category.

Breeders basically has two things going for it. The first, is that it’s one of the few examples of a horror movie that features an African American Actress as the leading lady (see image above).

The second thing the movie has is a copious amount of naked ladies. If one of your top requirements to see a film is based around how much bare skin the film has, than Breeders is your jam. With only three exceptions, every woman in this film seems bizarrely compelled to remove their cloths. A nurse disrobes in the kitchen while boiling...something. To be honest, I don’t remember what it was. Another woman strips while on the phone with her mother. All the victims become oddly compelled to strip all their cloths while under some form of alien mind control and wander down the halls of the hospital. The film makes no mention of anyone trying to stop them. I guess naked, trance-induced woman walking down the halls is just par for the course at those places. Finally, there’s the model. After everyone else at the studio leaves for lunch she snorts some coke, ditches her clothes and begins doing a series of nude stretching exercises while intermittently caressing her body. I’m sure the whole thing was meant to be titillating, but the entire time I was watching it, all I could think about was how many germs must have been on that linoleum floor she was rolling around on.

You’re supposed to put a mat down first, damn it. Ick! Ick!

Breeders features a lot of blood and guts, but for the most part, everything looks pretty goofy. The creature effects start out alright at first, only showing small parts of the monster or it’s silhouette, but when you finally manage to see the whole thing it just looks like a tweaked bug costume from the 1950 version of The Fly with a couple extra bits of slime added for effect. There’s no way anyone who looked at it would think it’s anything other than a guy in a cheap rubber suit.

Dr. Brundle, is that you?... What are you wearing?

The blood and guts effects themselves end up faring a bit better. It’s clear they spent a little bit more effort here. But at the same time, it’s still painfully obvious at several points where the flesh ends and the make-up begins. It also doesn’t help that the blood is so bright red that it doesn’t look real at all.

Of course, the effects might have come across as more believable if any of the actors had been able to react to them properly. And by react to them properly, I mean ‘react to them at all.” Non-reactions seem to be a real problem with this movie, but I suppose that’s to be expected since no one in this movie seems able to act at all. Almost all of the lines in the film are spoken in a monotone or so stiff that it sounds like they’re trying to decipher Shakespeare for the first time. Most of the actors seem incapable of expressing any emotion other than ‘bored.’

Considering all that, I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise that when one of the characters starts bleeding profusely, crying out in agony from changing into a monster-

-the actresses only reaction is to stare at him like this.

People watching paint dry have more expression

Granted, this is also the same woman who just snorted coke and looked like she was going to try to hide behind a pole-

JFK, you are not that skinny.

-so you wouldn’t be amiss in thinking that might be a one off due to a drug-induced stupor. But her reaction is pretty much the norm in this film. At one point the detective and the doctor are treated to a scene of the alien parasite emerging from its human host. His transformation becomes increasingly gory as time goes on and the camera keeps cutting away to get the reaction shots of the two main leads. But since no one in this film seems capable of emoting in any conceivable way, the viewer is treated with blank, expressionless looks, which just makes the whole thing unintentionally humorous.

What’s that?

Rawr! *gurbble gerggle*

Something? Anything? Bueller?

Even when the monster is in the same frame and not in a black, third dimensional limbo world because they ran out of funding and had to shoot in the studio they can’t seem to muster up anything.

I’m starting to think that woman is just a corpse they managed to prop up with a stick for most of the shots.

There’s really only one recurring character who manages to portray any emotion other than ‘derp’ and that’s the creepy hospital intern who brings flowers to the rape victims. The movie portrays him as a nice kid, awkward with good intentions. But at the same time the film is doing this, he’s seen touching their comatose faces and opines about going on dates with them when they’re pretty again. Anyone with a modicum of common sense, admittedly something very lacking in this film, would be hearing warning signs going off in their head about this behavior, but the movie seems completely oblivious to this.

Aw, what a cute little stalker/future serial killer in the making.

So, what did I think about Breeders? It’s kinda trashy, it’s a lot sleazy and it’s cheaply made. The acting is horrible, the monster is laughable and the writing and directing is so bad I found myself laughing at the absurdity of it all. At one point, I’m 99.9% sure an actor flubbed his line in the middle of a scene and corrected himself, and instead of yelling “Cut!”, the director just kept right on going. It’s that kind of movie. As a fan of cheesy movies, even I find it hard to give this one a recommendation, unless, of course, you just want to see for yourself how bad most of it is. I’d say to make a drinking game out of it, but I’m afraid you’d all be dead before the half hour mark. I suppose if you and your friends like riffing your own movies, than give this one a shot. Otherwise, hard pass.

Breeders is currently available for streaming on Amazon Prime. You have been warned.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I watched quite a bit over the past few days, mostly thanks to Dismember the Alamo, a 5-horror-movie marathon at the Alamo Drafthouse I went to in Yonkers. I'll just so ultra-compact mini-reviews in chronological watching-order.

The People Under the Stairs - This movie was kind of repetitive, but it has a lot of Wes Craven being extra-Wes-Craven-y. I'm glad I saw it!
Sisters - Very early Brian De Palma! It's not his best, but it has a lot of his trademark techniques and homages to Hitchcock. Also the very start of the music caught me off guard because I instantly recognized it as sampled in KMFDM's Naive. Not great, but worth watching.
Dead People (aka Messiah of Evil) - the organizer said this was in his top 10 horror movies... bleh. It's the poor man's Carnival of Souls. Almost no storyline. It attempted to build a scary atmosphere, but IMO didn't do a great job. The director went on to direct Howard the Duck.
Maximum Overdrive - this movie's dumb, but it's also pretty fun! I thought it was solid enough.
Slumber Party Massacre - I had just rewatched this one earlier in the year, TBH I think it's one of the better 1980s slasher movies, but part of me wonders what it would have been like if it stayed truer to Rita Mae Brown's supposedly more satirical original script. (This was the end of Dismember the Alamo.)
Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein - I had seen this once before when I was in third grade. Honestly, it didn't impress me so much this time. The comedy just doesn't strike a chord with me and the monsters weren't especially compelling.
Doctor X - the most interesting part of this film was the fact that it was shot in 2-strip Technicolor in 1932, giving it a look that's rarely seen. There's a killer who's a compulsive cannibal, which is pretty edgy and the ending is cool, but too much of the film is hung up on explaining the concept of a lie detector (which, to be fair, was far-out science fiction at the time).
The Lost Boys - I'm embarrassed I never saw this before, this movie was a lot of fun! Easily lives up to its reputation as one of the top-tier vampire films from the 1980s. It's great!
Kuruwin
64-bit

Post by Kuruwin »

I watched a bunch of films this weekend which few were horror films.

Nosferatu (Werner one) This one has really good athmosphere at times but it gets yaring after the vampire leaves Transylvania. I does it's own spin to Dracula story but it didn't do much for me.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night - This was Iranin vampire film and i think some of it flew past me because i don't know much about Iranian culture. Put putting that aside to me it felt very much like a "try hard" film. It wasn't bad but not much happens in it. The cat was pretty much the best actor and he wasn't even suppose to be in the film.

Psycho was the last horror film i watched and it suffers from studio meddling and the fact that the twist feels kinda bullshit in a sense
that it's clearly different person voice when Norman is acting as the mother
Also the after shower scene cleanup takes way too long and the movie really drags there.

Otherwise it's well done film and i think the guy playing Norman did really good job.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Appreciate the Netflix recommendations and thoughts on the Hatchet trilogy gents. The Astros world series run is killing my horror time. Of course, Game 6 and 7 will be Oct 31 and Nov 1. If we make it that far in, I'll just be extending my month of horror a bit! :D

I have watched 6 new videos from Top5 below to add to the 3 from him already in the spoiler tab. These typically run between 10 and 15 minutes so he's pumping out a decent bit of content. His video production and research are top notch. Even when it isn't October, he generates a good bit of videos on the paranormal and the mysterious. He also does documentaries on history subjects (Titanic, WWII, etc). I actually haven't been crazy about his 5 Creepiest & Most Haunted Locations in the World series. If you're going to check a video of his linked below, I recommend 5 Eerie & Mysterious Videos That Need Some Answers... to give you a good sense of the channel. I also love paranormal and unexplained footage!

I do have a couple of creepy paranormal pictures I've taken myself :shock: . While this thread is more about entertainment, I've been thinking of sharing them. Anyone interested in seeing them? If so, I'll dig for them on my HDD.

New since last post:
• Top5 - 5 Terrifying Paranormal Stories, Videos & Photographs | Viewer Submissions
• Top5 - 5 Nightmarish Facts About The Mysterious & Legendary Chupacabra...
• Top5 - 5 Creepiest & Most Haunted Locations in the World | Episode 2 | United States of America
• Top5 - 5 Creepiest & Most Haunted Locations in the World | Episode 3 | Asia
• Top5 - 5 Creepy Houses with Terrifying & Horrific Backstories...
• Top5 - 5 Eerie & Mysterious Videos That Need Some Answers...

2016 Month of Horror so Far:
Podcast - Count: 8
• The No Sleep Podcast: I Live in Her Walls
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Kings Inn Motel
• The No Sleep Podcast: Moomaw's Curses
• The No Sleep Podcast: I First Met the Devil When I was Eight Years Old
• The No Sleep Podcast: I am an Exterminator in a College Town
• The No Sleep Podcast: Fran and Jock
• The No Sleep Podcast: Don't Be Last Off the Train
• The No Sleep Podcast: My Best Friend Instagram
The No Sleep Podcast Link

YouTube, Etc - Count: 10
• Top5 - 5 Creepiest & Most Haunted Locations in the World | Episode 1 | United Kingdom
• Top5 - 5 Scariest Paranormal Videos & Photographs Ever Taken
• Top5 - 5 Haunted London Underground Stations & Their Dark Histories
• Top5 - 5 Terrifying Paranormal Stories, Videos & Photographs | Viewer Submissions
• Top5 - 5 Nightmarish Facts About The Mysterious & Legendary Chupacabra...
• Top5 - 5 Creepiest & Most Haunted Locations in the World | Episode 2 | United States of America
• Top5 - 5 Creepiest & Most Haunted Locations in the World | Episode 3 | Asia
• Top5 - 5 Creepy Houses with Terrifying & Horrific Backstories...
• Top5 - 5 Eerie & Mysterious Videos That Need Some Answers...
• Beyond Creepy - A Ghost Story - Ryan Dunn

Movies - Count: 2
1. It Follows (2014)

2. The Cave (2005)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5