Anyone Upgrade to 4K UHD Blu Ray Yet?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Anyone Upgrade to 4K UHD Blu Ray Yet?

Post by Jagosaurus »

I have a 4K HDR TV but the only 4K TV I've ever seen on it is streaming YouTube.

Anyone upgraded to 4K BD yet?

$184 Samsung
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072F9T5 ... ref=plSrch

For another $65, you could get a xbox One S which also supports the format.

New movies look to be $25, older $15.

I'm really interested, but I see us looking back on this like laser disc between VHS & DVD with only hardcore AV buffs upgrading. It's a bit too soon & most likely will wait until 4K streaming is more prevalent.

Anyone bought a standalone player or ran the movies on your xbox? Worth the upgrade from 1080p BD being upscaled to 4K by my TV?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone Upgrade to 4K UHD Blu Ray Yet?

Post by dsheinem »

Jagosaurus wrote:I have a 4K HDR TV but the only 4K TV I've ever seen on it is streaming YouTube.

Anyone upgraded to 4K BD yet?

$184 Samsung
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B072F9T5 ... ref=plSrch

For another $65, you could get a xbox One S which also supports the format.

New movies look to be $25, older $15.

I'm really interested, but I see us looking back on this like laser disc between VHS & DVD with only hardcore AV buffs upgrading. It's a bit too soon & most likely will wait until 4K streaming is more prevalent.

Anyone bought a standalone player or ran the movies on your xbox? Worth the upgrade from 1080p BD being upscaled to 4K by my TV?

I recently picked up a 4K UHD TV (a nice Sony 65" :)) and thus far I have done most of my 4K viewing through an Xbox One S (which you can regularly find for $150-$200 now). In my experience, there are some films that benefit from the upgrade much more than others. Planet Earth II, for example, is probably the most stunningly beautiful thing I have ever seen on a TV - even surpassing the wonder of the original (which I have on 1080p Blu-Ray). On the other hand, I rewatched the first two recent Planet of the Apes movies before going to see the new one and I didn't think that there was a great jump in quality between my upscaled 1080p BD (Dawn) and the 4KBD (Rise). As with any new media, the gains you see or not will really depend on the source material (how it was filmed) and the mastering process.

In any case, the jump is clearly not the same as the jump from SD to HD from 20 years ago, but I think there is a lot of promise in great-looking 4K UHD content going forward. In terms of quality differences, think the laserdisc vs DVD comparison is probably a good one.

Streaming 4K movies eats bandwidth like a motherfucker, though (Netflix is like 12GB/hour). I have only done it sparingly, myself. If you have a data cap, this may be an issue: http://www.techhive.com/article/3064460 ... ation.html
Purkeynator
64-bit

Post by Purkeynator »

I have a few uhd movies for my 75 inch Sony and honestly it's hard to justify the price difference over Bluray since a lot of today's movies are still letterbox. Add to the fact that I have 2 pawn shops in my area that sell Blu rays for $5 and uhds are usually 25-30 and you have a recipe for format failure....
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

1080p HD is still good enough for me. When 4K becomes the norm, sure why not? Hollywood will keep re-selling us the same movies each time at a higher resolution lol.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Resolution isn't the only thing at play in this case. 4k UHD also incorporates HDR color if the display/etc can support it. That's the more appealing thing to me, though as of yet I don't have a 4k TV or receiver/player/etc.

Far as I know, 4k is the higher end of what most digital theaters are using right now, so trying to sell much past that for home use would probably take other parts of the industry upgrading.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Yeah Planet Earth is always shot with very high end cameras. I remember even when it first came out on DVD, it was amazing. All makes senese. I do think it'll end up being the laser disc of today. Too soon for most folks. Yeah, my data cap is 1.04TB which I never come close to now but I would if I started streaming 4K often.

1080p is likely good enough for me but the techie in me is still interested :lol:. I still have 200+ 720×480p movie files that I watch often. They still look okay. Of course not as good as BD and as Dave said, depends on the source material. Over time the 480 signal has begun looking "worse" to me. I remember when I thought DVDs upscaled to HD looked great. Just serviceable now. I imagine we'll reach that same point with 1080 at some time, where it is good enough but not great. True 4K, versus 1080p upscaled to 2160p, seems to be a luxury versus a giant leap at this point in time though.

It'll take cable providers, IPTV, & satellite a bit to catch up. I feel like we just started getting 1080 content there in the past couple years. PS Vue IPTV is still 720p IIRC. Worth noting, my set seems to be a good deal better at upscaling 1080p vs 1080i (my satellite TV) content. I also jump from a 42" to a 60" so perhaps the interlaced signal favors poorly to my eyes over that size difference.

Worth noting if you bought a Vizio UHD E Series over 55" the past year or so, update it. They now support HDR. That had to be some type of licensing issue if the hardware supported it, but it was locked down. I bought my 4K E Series recently and the initial setup included this update or it shipped with it. HDR was one of the buying factors for me. Just read about the HDR firmware updates on a few sites after. Interesting.
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

My UHD Bluray drive will be the Xbox One X when I get one. I've got a 65" 2160p Sony TV, so I look forward to taking advantage of that.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

4K, no UHD. I've only tested the 4K content once. It's better for clean scaling of lower-resolution sources for my particular needs. 1080p looks very, very nice on my set, and the PPI reduces any screen door effect significantly.

I figure I'll have access to more content if I end up buying an X1X, but I figure that'll be a while. I'm not really chomping at the bit to drop $500 on it, although I absolutely understand that it is cheaper than a comparative gaming PC.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I will buy 4k when the projectors are under 1k. It is a nice upgrade for HDR, but the format is not as developed as I would like it to be for adoption. I have a perfect setup for it - 8ft from 8ft screen. But I will need to upgrade my screen for 4k - I projected 4k onto it not to long ago and it needs a more reflect screen, mine is faded.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Used Xbox One S does run about the same as the new dedicated Samsung player.

Why are 90% of them white? They didn't release a standard edition in black? That's a bummer. It would stick out terribly in both my gameroom & living room :/