Thoughts on Burning/Reproductions Forum section?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Thoughts on Burning/Reproductions Forum section?

Post by racketboy »

I don't want to get heavy into piracy, but reproductions are becoming more of a common occurrence (I had a post a while back viewtopic.php?f=44&t=51339 ). Also, I was recently trying to find discussions on burning a couple weeks back (trying to find advice for Mac OSX viewtopic.php?f=17&t=51434 )

So anyway -- could combining these topics into a category make sense?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Thoughts on Burning/Reproductions Forum section?

Post by Jagosaurus »

Flash carts, Optical Drive Emulators, Upscalers (Framemeister, etc) fall into similar categories as well. We have a great monster thread going on flash carts odes, etc.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Ive been tempted to buy some repro's like Mother 3 for GBA, and Secret of Mana 2 for SNES, but just feel i may as well emulate them.

Repros just hurt the hobby imo.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Hazerd wrote:Repros just hurt the hobby imo.

If they're clearly marked as such, how could they hurt?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

o.pwuaioc wrote:
Hazerd wrote:Repros just hurt the hobby imo.

If they're clearly marked as such, how could they hurt?

I think it waters down the hobby a bit, but it's evolving. I think it opens some interesting doors, but it's kinda like classic cars and other antiques when you have reproduction parts and such.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think discussion of repros is fine as long as there are guidelines. My opinion is that we shouldn't be seen to approve of repros that are indistinguishable from legit copies or repros that simply reproduce items already available in the designated region with no alterations. Meaning mods and translations and region shifts are fine, but supporting repros of Magical Chase on TG-16 just because it's hard to find and expensive is much more questionable, IMO. But we shouldn't take this stance because it keeps people from playing games. We should take this stance because those who make those repros are profiting in ways that are highly questionable. It's one thing to take a little off the top for patching with a translation or PAL/NTSC change, or something like that. It's another to say, "Here! You can play this $500 game for only $50! And $20 of that goes straight into my pocket!" Unlike ROMs for which no money typically changes hands or flash cards which have legitimate other uses, repros of rare or expensive games involve money and no legitimate alternative uses.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I feel that to some degree, this would fit into the "Hacks and Mods" section, so maybe a slight rebranding of that sub-forum?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Maybe add description to the Archiving Section to more then just document scans? It could be the all purpose Archive of Docs, Repo Carts and Backup Burns. To keep the piracy side out emphasize Backup.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Sarge wrote:I feel that to some degree, this would fit into the "Hacks and Mods" section, so maybe a slight rebranding of that sub-forum?

Good idea, I don't touch that forum otherwise.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Hacks, Mods, and Reproductions maybe a good renaming.

Don't think we should discriminate what is covered, all should be fair game for discussion, debate, linking to good, the bad and the ugly and people can rip on that ugly as they see fit.

Even if you dig a layer deeper, sometimes those reproductions are kind of a mixed bag. Came up recently and I pointed out I have a new shell, reused pair of SNK boards, and newer chips thrown on due to a dead game with Nightmare in the Dark on there I picked up cheap. It's a practice that's fairly common in those circles, would not be surprised in other stuff as well keeping some old parts alive without killing another (like the classic NES bootleg killing a game to make one.)