Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Re: 80s/90s anime with mech avail on ..

by marurun Mon May 22, 2017 9:03 pm

I Like UC Gundam, for the most part, but I don't like the Newtype stuff. Feels a little pointless. "What if Millenials had cyber-affinity and mild psychic powers?!"
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon May 22, 2017 9:38 pm

marurun wrote:I Like UC Gundam, for the most part, but I don't like the Newtype stuff. Feels a little pointless. "What if Millenials had cyber-affinity and mild psychic powers?!"

They had lightsabers so I guess they needed to work in a knock off take on The Force too.

I don't mind it in small doses, but they go a little crazy with it as the franchise drags on.

In conclusion G Gundam is the best Gundam and Imagawa is a god.

It's Street Fighter with giant fucking robots.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 22, 2017 9:41 pm

GOD GUNDAM
flojocabron
Next-Gen

by flojocabron Mon May 22, 2017 9:51 pm

Okay I think I got one. A mecha anime that isn't gundam!

It's not very long. Only 13 episodes. Plus it's done by people that previously helped animate Tenchi Muyo.

Some have considered it a part of the same universe.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Mon May 22, 2017 10:00 pm

^ Tech TV used to air that. It wasn't too bad.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Mon May 22, 2017 10:10 pm

I'd rattle off more of my favorites but it's mostly Super Robot stuff and not what Segata was looking for in the OP.
marurun

Re: 80s/90s anime with mech

by marurun Tue May 23, 2017 9:47 am

The Macross series has some great content. The original Macross saga is just as good as Gundam, IMO, at the politics and logistics of war and its effects on people. And just like Gundam with the Newtype crap, Macross gets obsessed with the power of music and culture, but I think it actually develops the idea better than Gundam does Newtypes.

And while the Macross series is also very inconsistent in quality between shows, much like Gundam, it, too, hits some real highs. Macross Plus is insanely good, IMO, and again has a focus on music, but does it much better. Macross Plus is one of my favorite anime of all time, in part because of the soundtrack. And the dub is solid, too (the main character is voiced by Bryan Cranston in the original Manga Entertainment dub). Macross 2 and Macross 7 are to be avoided, but Macross Frontier is gorgeous CG/anime fusion. The plot's only OK, but it looks great. It also fuses a lot of the Macross Plus and Macross 7 ideas, but if you read up a little about Macross 7 online you'll be fine.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue May 23, 2017 10:08 am

I love Macross 7.

So... just like Gundam, your mileage will vary. But I think we can all agree SDF and Do You Remember Love are amazing. They were more space dramas too, but from then on the musical focus of the series becomes the main thing.

I liked Frontier despite hating all the characters. It looks terrible though, nasty CGI mecha.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue May 23, 2017 10:40 am

My opinions on Macross:

SDF Macross - A true classic of the entire medium, a must watch. My personal favorite anime of all time.

Macross: Do You Remember Love? - A movie retelling of the original story. I don't recommend watching it in place of the series because it's quite different but it's beautifully animated and worth watching later.

Macross II - A non-canon sequel film. Nicely animated but there's not much else to it. You can skip this or watch it out of curiosity.

Macross Plus - A short but incredible OVA that manages to be as classic as the original show. Continues the trend of being some of the nicest artwork of its era. This is a favorite for most fans of the franchise and it deserves to be.

Macross 7 - Do you like watching a crazy man fly out in a transforming robot jet to sing at aliens who don't even give a crap for like, the first half or more of this absolutely glacial 52 episode series? If you said yes, this series is for you! If you said no, yeah it didn't do much for me either. The most positive thing I can say about it is one of my favorite characters from the original Macross is captain of the ship in this. So there's that I guess. There's some amusing humor at times as well but the entire thing is way too drawn out. If it had been cut down to maybe 26 episodes it might have been alright.

Macross Zero - A short OVA prequel of the original that's really weird and has little to do with anything. It's also kind of boring, practically the definition of style over substance. Pass.

Macross Frontier - Tries to find balance between the original show and 7. It does a good job of keeping continuity with them. I enjoyed it at the time but honestly, it's rather forgettable and most of the characters are annoying. It has some equally annoying modern tropes like having our main characters attend high-school and focuses a lot on the idol stuff, but it has a lot of good elements as well. I really love the hi-tech city and seeing how the human and zentraedi cultures have meshed together over time. People who are fans of the original (or even 7) will get something out of it but there are better shows out there to spend your time with.

Macross Delta - The newest show. I can't say much about this one. I only got through two episodes before I gave up. The main cast is an elite team of... idol singers. Yep.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Tue May 23, 2017 11:41 am

I cannot get into Robotech. I have tried.

How is Gundam 00,MSG 08th,MSteam and MSG Origin on Hulu?
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever