Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
strangenova
Next-Gen

Re: Puppy Help

by strangenova Fri May 19, 2017 3:23 pm

marurun wrote:Don't give the dog your hair. That's not a good chew toy and you might want it later.

:lol: fair point you have there
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri May 19, 2017 4:33 pm

Well the puppy likes the bitter spray. He liked the spray off and then went to chewing. :mad:
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri May 19, 2017 4:40 pm

strangenova wrote:Well the puppy likes the bitter spray. He liked the spray off and then went to chewing. :mad:

:lol: Yeah you've got a winner there.

Reminds me of a rabbit I had once. It used to bite on its cage bars and rattle them loudly when it wanted treats (it always wanted treats). So I coated the cage bars with hot sauce to discourage him from doing it. The bastard licked all the hot sauce off and started shaking the cage.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri May 19, 2017 4:44 pm

He's just like the rest of the family. Stubborn.

I guess I'll just keep at the firmness and replacing the stuff he's biting on with his toys.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri May 19, 2017 4:46 pm

strangenova wrote:He's just like the rest of the family. Stubborn.

I guess I'll just keep at the firmness and replacing the stuff he's biting on with his toys.

When she gets home, I'll ask my wife what she thinks you should do. She's been a vet tech for years and deals with stubborn dogs all the time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri May 19, 2017 4:48 pm

I'd appreciate that. I'm open to all suggestions on this.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri May 19, 2017 8:02 pm

My wife says that beagles are unintelligent dogs and hard to teach anything. Curs were bred to hunt aggressive game. So you've got a dog that's not known for its intelligence plus seeks out aggressive prey. I think this explains why it likes to bite fingers. Also if a dog is taken from its litter too early, it doesn't learn proper socialization (biting hurts / it hurts to get bit). I don't know how old your dog was when you got it though.

As for getting it stop biting you could try sticking your fingers deep in its mouth and make it gag when it tries to bite them. So it starts associating fingers in its mouth with an unpleasant sensation.

Giving the dog toys or treats when it bites your fingers (meant as a substitute thing to bite) actually teaches the dog it gets those kind of rewards when it bites your fingers.

She says the best thing to do is if it keeps biting your fingers even after gagging it, then put it in a dog crate for a time out for 15 minutes or so. Don't let it out if it starts to yell and whine, wait until its quiet. It shouldn't take long for your dog to realize that continuing bad behavior even after being told no = time out.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri May 19, 2017 8:36 pm

Ok so gag hum and if that doesn't work then time-outs. Gotcha.

Yeah we got him at five weeks, most people tell me that's early to get a pup.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Fri May 19, 2017 8:57 pm

They say you're supposed to wimper when they nip so it knows it hurt you and will stop. That's how puppies play with each other, biting each other. Didn't work for me, but that's what they say lol. My pup bit down a little to hard one day and i smacked the shit out of it a few times and that seemed to stop his ass.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Fri May 19, 2017 9:02 pm

stickem wrote:They say you're supposed to wimper when they nip so it knows it hurt you and will stop. That's how puppies play with each other, biting each other. Didn't work for me, but that's what they say lol. My pup bit down a little to hard one day and i smacked the shit out of it a few times and that seemed to stop his ass.

Yeah I've tried the cry and neglect method. Doesn't work he just keeps at it.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever