Puppy Help

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
strangenova
Next-Gen

Puppy Help

Post by strangenova »

So I got a pup for my kids recent birthday, the dog is smart and after only two weeks he's potty trained and damn near kennel trained. My big problem though is that he is too mouthy and wants to bite at us almost constantly. It makes my son not want to play with him, and me too for that matter. I've tried all the suggestions that the vet gave me and a handful from online dog sites I've read.

I've tried firmly saying and no and pulling him off and putting a toying his mouth. I've tried ignoring him or putting him in the kennel for his wrongdoings. I've tried positively reinforcing his toys with treats. I'm at my wits end with this biting!
marurun

Re: Puppy Help

Post by marurun »

Does the puppy have enough safe and appealing things to chew on that aren't people? All puppies love be to chew. That said, you may not have the right puppy for your household.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

What kind of dog is it?

Also cow hooves are the best dog chews. I get these for my dogs:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KC681BW/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

You might just have to keep at it for a little while. Puppies aren't like full-grown dogs. They're not going to always listen right away. Keep up the positive and negative reinforcement for a bit longer, and if that doesn't work go back and talk to the vet.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

We've already got him a half dozen of his own toys, plus rawhide sticks and if he chews kn his kennel or bowls I let him cause its his.

The dog is part Cur and part Beagle.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

What I would do is coat my hands with this when I played with him:

https://www.amazon.com/Grannicks-Bitter ... 0006G5REC/

Then tell him NO! in a firm voice when he bit my fingers. Between the bitter taste and the negative enforcement, he might get the point.

Also don't let your dog eat rawhide.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Exhuminator wrote:What I would do is coat my hands with this when I played with him:

https://www.amazon.com/Grannicks-Bitter ... 0006G5REC/

Then tell him NO! in a firm voice when he bit my fingers. Between the bitter taste and the negative enforcement, he might get the point.

Also don't let your dog eat rawhide.

I was gonna get some of that for my furniture actually. Did it work well using it on yourself?

What's wrong with the rawhide?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

strangenova wrote:I was gonna get some of that for my furniture actually. Did it work well using it on yourself?

I had a dog that kept chewing up electric cords. So I started putting that stuff on the electric cords. The dog stopped chewing on them. May or may not work for your dog.
strangenova wrote:What's wrong with the rawhide?

Contamination. As with pet toys, rawhide chews can contain trace amounts of toxic chemicals. And, as with other pet (or human) foods, Salmonella or E. coli contamination is possible. Even humans can be at risk when coming into contact with these bacteria on rawhide treats.

Digestive irritation. Some dogs are simply sensitive or allergic to rawhide or other substances used in their manufacture. This can cause problems, including diarrhea.

Choking or blockages. Rawhide bones and other edible chews can pose a choking and blockage risk. In fact, this is a much bigger risk than contamination or digestive irritation. If your dog swallows large pieces of rawhide, the rawhide can get stuck in the esophagus or other parts of the digestive tract. Depending on its size and where it is located, a vet may be able to remove these pieces fairly easily through the throat. But sometimes, abdominal surgery is needed to remove them from the stomach or intestines. If it isn’t resolved, a blockage can lead to death.

Cow hooves are much safer. And in my experience dogs prefer them over rawhide as well. The ones I linked earlier are treated to eliminate contamination.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Thanks for the advice everyone, I've got some bitter spray today for the chewing and I swapped his rawhides out. I'll report back if I start pulling my hair out again.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Don't give the dog your hair. That's not a good chew toy and you might want it later.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.