Do you or know someone who has metal health issues?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Segata
Next-Gen

Do you or know someone who has metal health issues?

Post by Segata »

Feel free to discuss.

Do I? That is an absolute yes. This may sound odd but most people do not understand that i don't understand and they think they understand but they don't and neither do I. WTF does that even mean? Well not even sure I can explain. Something you can't truly get unless you have it and it's not easy but no complaints here. Is what it is. I am blunt person and say what's on my mind always. Now sometimes people get angry at me. Most the time I don't know why. They tell me it should be obvious what I said or did or didn't do was malicious on purpose. it's really not. I cannot read other people. It's like being color blind only with reading subtle things socially. I am a country mile better than I was a few years ago as I do get a lot of professional help. It has been difficult yes but I am at peace with it since while people will often yell or get annoyed and not even believe me...I just have to accept what I said in the opening line about understanding.

I suffer from crippling anxiety (anxiety is thrown around loosely a lot but for some it's a very serious problem) I have Schizoid Personality Disorder. I also have a mild case but very high functioning of Asperger's. I was a honor student in school but also got into a lot of trouble. While I help people as much as I can. Try to be nice. I also still have my sense of humor and blunt way of talking. It often doesn't translate as well into text as people can't hear tone or just don't know me. I am pretty mellow. Last few years I never get angry online but people sometimes read it as such. It does get frustrating people think you lie or are a certain way when you know different. Still I go back my understanding statement.

I do not want to get rid of it however. I just want to curb it to be more in control and I have started to have some sympathy for others..another trait I just almost never have thanks to these issues. I don't want to to get rid of it simply because it's made me the cvery creative person I am. I can think on my feet and solve about any problem. Create stories which I had published and all sorts of cool things. So there is a trade off.

Anyone of you struggle with mental problems or know someone who does? Feel free to share!
marurun

Re: Do you or know someone who has metal health issues?

Post by marurun »

Anxiety and self-doubt, mostly. Fatherhood, alas, doesn't qualify as a mental illness.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I used to have problems with anger, but I mostly grew out of that. Motivational apathy is my current nemesis. I'm currently 38, so the mid-life crisis will probably hit any day now. Maybe that will help get me motivated to do the things I beat myself up about (mentally) for not doing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Don't usually discuss my problems with people I don't know, especially online. I do feel comfortable on here though. I suffer from Paranoid Schizophrenia. I am on a very strong anti-psych medication and a few others. It can be debilitating at times. I deal with it on a day to day basis. I don't want to go into any more detail than that.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Thanks for sharing, Sano. I imagine that's not an easy thing to talk about given the stigma that disease has.

I don't have any unusual mental health issues, but I do suffer from severe depression and severe anxiety. I used to do a LOT of self-harm and have a suicide attempt in my past. I've been on sertraline at various doses - starting at 25 mg and currently at 100 mg - for the past 11 years, since the very beginning of my 9th grade year. That's the only reason I can function most days, but I still contend with particularly bad episodes, immense self-loathing, and a mighty powerful inferiority complex and feelings of worthlessness. I try to keep those under control, but as most of the folks on the Slack channel can probably attest, they get the better of me from time to time.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Sano wrote:Don't usually discuss my problems with people I don't know, especially online. I do feel comfortable on here though. I suffer from Paranoid Schizophrenia. I am on a very strong anti-psych medication and a few others. It can be debilitating at times. I deal with it on a day to day basis. I don't want to go into any more detail than that.

I was friend with a guy and no joke his name was actually James Bond. He was a great cook but also had Schizophrenia. If more than 2 people started to talk to him he freaked out. I do as well but not for the same reasons. He was a pretty cool guy.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

My girlfriend has pretty severe OCD. It's frequently a problem to get people to understand the way she reacts to certain things and that she's not trying to be rude or strange. It's not helped by the zeitgeist version of OCD when you bring it up. It usually results in people saying, "Oh I have that too," and blowing it off or misinterpreting it as simply being germophobic.

Sometimes I sort of cringe when people say something innocent like, "I have to 100% things because I have gamer OCD," since it kind of minimizes what can be a very crippling disorder. It doesn't anger me or anything because I get that it's just a joke but it feeds into the stereotypes and misconceptions.

But one silver lining is that while I've come across people who want to be jerks and pretend like mental disorders aren't a real thing I've also met a lot of people who are kind and accommodating and help make life a little more comfortable in any way they can.

I strongly believe de-stigmatizing mental disorders is something our society badly needs to work on along with improving mental health care in general.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Gunstar Green wrote:My girlfriend has pretty severe OCD. It's frequently a problem to get people to understand the way she reacts to certain things and that she's not trying to be rude or strange. It's not helped by the zeitgeist version of OCD when you bring it up. It usually results in people saying, "Oh I have that too," and blowing it off or misinterpreting it as simply being germophobic.

Sometimes I sort of cringe when people say something innocent like, "I have to 100% things because I have gamer OCD," since it kind of minimizes what can be a very crippling disorder. It doesn't anger me or anything because I get that it's just a joke but it feeds into the stereotypes and misconceptions.

But one silver lining is that while I've come across people who want to be jerks and pretend like mental disorders aren't a real thing I've also met a lot of people who are kind and accommodating and help make life a little more comfortable in any way they can.

OCD is just another side effect of severe anxiety. It varies in degree. I have curbed my OCD a lot but it was never that severe. My crippling anxiety comes into play for other things. Anxiety leads to people hoarding as well. I agree I hate how these things are reduced to that. It's not mental health but I seriously hate when people joke about heart attacks..I have a bad heart and it freaks me out when people say that.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

I always found this pic apt for how people like me feel. This pic was drawn by someone who also had a mental illness. Forgot I had this until I just saw it.

Joinjoina01

Post by Joinjoina01 »

Everyone has mental problem if circumstance pushes them into the crazy path.