DRM Free Music Downloads 2017 (Legal)

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

DRM Free Music Downloads 2017 (Legal)

Post by Jagosaurus »

Hey guys, title says it all. Where are you legally DL music these days?

Looking for it DRM free. Want to throw on a HDD for safe keeping, side load as third party music file to an Adroid, & move to USB as needed.

I'll be DLing mostly old & new rock of genre matters regrading availability.

I'm not wanting to buy & rip CDs. I'm not wanting anything tied to a website, streaming service, etc.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: DRM Free Music Downloads 2017 (Legal)

Post by noiseredux »

Is emusic still around?
marurun

Post by marurun »

If your local public library has Freegal, that's a way to go.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Will look into those. Thanks.

I'm starting at ground zero here. My only experience is ripping CDs, iTunes (hate it), & file share sites (been some years).

Any others?

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

install one of those Firefox plug ins on YouTube to convert vids into MP3s.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I do still buy used CDs, and sometimes the $5 CDs at Wal-mart. And then I rip them to shreds! Muah hah hah hah hahahahahahah!!!!!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Personally, I tend to prefer buying the CD still, since I can rip to whatever format(s)/bitrate I feel like. I only buy digital if that's the only (or logical) format to buy in.

However, far as I know, the majority out there now is (or can be) DRM free anyway. iTunes swapped to DRM free AAC in 2009, Google Play has been DRM free from the start, stuff like Autorip or digital music purchases from Amazon are basic MP3 files as well.

Most of what I have is Amazon, since they've got a lot of CDs listed for Autorip - basically, as soon as you check out, the album gets added to your Amazon music library to stream or download.

Offhand, where you mostly run into DRM now are hybrid situations, such as Amazon's Music Unlimited service. It's designed as a streaming service, but you're able to download DRM'ed tracks for offline use.
It's obviously worth double checking before starting to buy tracks from someplace though.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

isiolia wrote:Most of what I have is Amazon, since they've got a lot of CDs listed for Autorip - basically, as soon as you check out, the album gets added to your Amazon music library to stream or download.

I love Amazon. They have a ton of digital music now, and the auto-rip feature is great. Sometimes the CD is cheaper than the digital price, and you get it digitally anyway.

When you buy digital music from Amazon, it's in the cloud. You can download the mp3s straight away, or stream it (the Amazon music app is great). The auto rip comes in real handy when I buy vinyls, since it's not as easy to rip those. The mp3s are DRM free.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Ziggy587 wrote:
isiolia wrote:Most of what I have is Amazon, since they've got a lot of CDs listed for Autorip - basically, as soon as you check out, the album gets added to your Amazon music library to stream or download.

I love Amazon. They have a ton of digital music now, and the auto-rip feature is great. Sometimes the CD is cheaper than the digital price, and you get it digitally anyway.

When you buy digital music from Amazon, it's in the cloud. You can download the mp3s straight away, or stream it (the Amazon music app is great). The auto rip comes in real handy when I buy vinyls, since it's not as easy to rip those. The mp3s are DRM free.

This might be my solution. Like most folks, I already use Amazon often so it'd be easy to try out.

What I'm trying to avoid is the Google Play movie download scenario... where I can DL a movie but it's riddled with DRM, tied to the Google movie app, & hidden within folders in multiple files. That is frustrating & why I just ripped 100+ DVDS with Make MKV to get DRM free .mkv files :lol:. While it was worth it to have DRM free movies, I knew there were alternatives in the music world to ripping CDs.

Thanks man & appreciate the suggestions from all.

ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ziggy587 wrote:

Amazon has always been great with music. Even better if you're like me if you have 2 of their tablets, the Echo device, the Fire TV Stick, and the Amazon Music apps on the PC and my smartphone. Plus you can upload a limited number of your own MP3s to their cloud to have access across all your devices.

I also have AutoRip stuff and digital music purchases in addition to the vast Prime free library. Yeah. I love Amazon.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.