Video game music on your iPhone/iOS device

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
marurun

Video game music on your iPhone/iOS device

Post by marurun »

I just recently discovered a cool app for iOS devices called "modizer". It costs $2 but is essentially open-source. It incorporates a MIDI engine, a MOD/S3M/IT engine, and a bunch of game music engines from Audio Overload and VGMplay. It has an FTP server (inactive by default) and web browser capabilities built-in and includes custom bookmarks to popular VGM sites so you can easily download the compressed archives directly into the program.

The program doesn't remember playback settings or last track well when it is pushed out of memory by other apps, but it does seem pretty low on CPU load when playing. It also has a bunch of neat visualizers (something Apple has made difficult to incorporate with MP3 and AAC playback). It does alter the music a little, for example SNES tracks sound clearer, with less filtering and echo, and Genesis tracks sound more like a model 2 VA4 with MegaAmp mod (thank goodness).

http://yoyofr.blogspot.com/p/modizer.html
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Video game music on your iPhone/iOS device

Post by Tanooki »

Seems interesting, but not clear. Do you have the ability to search for music sort of like a radio station browse, or do you supply your own tunes (or both?)
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

There is a similar app for Android called ZXTune. Worth looking into if you're not on iOS.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Tanooki wrote:Seems interesting, but not clear. Do you have the ability to search for music sort of like a radio station browse, or do you supply your own tunes (or both?)

You have to download the music files, but there are bookmarks included (and open web access) to sites that have them for download. I don't like using cell data on the go for streaming music (I save that for wifi) so being able to put an entire game soundtrack on my phone for only 700kb is great. But I've always been fascinated by SPC, NSF, and HES files and the like.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm on both android(shield tablet) and ios (iphone5s) so either works.

I agree SPCs are amazing and they're so small so it's a savings on a limited space phone. It's quality work having a tool that'll just run those things on the go vs burning/downloading a pack of MP3s.

A lot of game music is so-so, but then you get these either nostalgic 8bit chiptune stuff from NES scores, or the sampled gems from the SNES from usually specific people (Koji Kondo, Nobuo Uematsu, etc) that are just smooth ear candy.