Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Post by Ziggy »

racketboy wrote:My only request is that we start with a 101 type piece and then we can add more in-depth and specific pieces to complement it. Just send me a note if you're serious about contributing :)

Tanooki wrote:Would scrapping/rewriting an existing out of date section be something of value?'

Hey Racket. I know you said you'd like to start with 101's, but I had the same sort of question about rewriting existing articles. A few of them could stand to be spruced up a bit, and it might be low-hanging fruit so to speak.

In particular, the SNES Defining Games article always bothered me a bit. Uniracers might be a hidden gem, but it's certainly not a defining game.

So I guess my question for you is, would you mind if we updated and/or rewrite some of the old entries?
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I'd shoot him an email Ziggy. Super responsive
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:In particular, the SNES Defining Games article always bothered me a bit. Uniracers might be a hidden gem, but it's certainly not a defining game.

So I guess my question for you is, would you mind if we updated and/or rewrite some of the old entries?

I'm kinda leaning that Uniracers could be valid in both categories. This is due to the game exclusive to the SNES. For the ones that know the game, it is synonymous with the SNES. On the other hand, many today are familiar with only the more traditional such as Mario, Kirby and Donkey Kong making Uniracers also a discovered hidden gem.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

CRTGAMER wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:In particular, the SNES Defining Games article always bothered me a bit. Uniracers might be a hidden gem, but it's certainly not a defining game.

I'm kinda leaning that Uniracers could be valid in both categories. This is due to the game exclusive to the SNES. For the ones that know the game, it is synonymous with the SNES. On the other hand, many today are familiar with only the more traditional such as Mario, Kirby and Donkey Kong making Uniracers also a discovered hidden gem.

I don't know about that. We might have to define what "defining" means here (no pun intended). I grew up with the SNES and I never heard of it until I read the article here. In fact, if it weren't for RB, I still wouldn't know about it! I've never seen it on any SNES lists or YouTube videos (of which I've seen my fair share of). It was only just recently that I saw a Cinemassacre video where Mike Matei referred to it as an obscure SNES game. Know one I knew had the game. I never saw it for sale in any store. I never saw it for rent in any rental shop, which includes the big ones like Blockbuster as well as the Ma and Pa shops (of which there were a lot of in the 90's).

Sorry to any Uniracers fans if it sounds like I'm shitting on your favorite game, but I'm not. I just don't see how it could possibly be considered a *defining* game for the console. I totally get it if you were one of the few that knew about the game that when YOU think of the SNES it's one of the games that you think of. So for another example, E.V.O. meant a lot to me when I was young. Of course, it was unheard of back then, but it's one of my favorites for the SNES (one of my defining SNES games) but I can understand how it's not a defining game for the console as a whole. That's why I can safely say that (and you might wanna sit down for this) Earthbound should also not be on the defining games list. Earthbound and E.V.O. are very similar, being unheard of games back when with less than stellar sales, and only gained recent notoriety and popularity due to the Internet and the retro game craze. That's why I use it as an example.

Sorry to derail, and I'll get off my soap box in a minute, I'd just like to make this one point. The Defining Games articles need to have some standard, otherwise they just become someone's Top X list.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Ziggy587 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:

I don't know about that. We might have to define what "defining" means here (no pun intended). I grew up with the SNES and I never heard of it until I read the article here. In fact, if it weren't for RB, I still wouldn't know about it! I've never seen it on any SNES lists or YouTube videos (of which I've seen my fair share of). It was only just recently that I saw a Cinemassacre video where Mike Matei referred to it as an obscure SNES game. Know one I knew had the game. I never saw it for sale in any store. I never saw it for rent in any rental shop, which includes the big ones like Blockbuster as well as the Ma and Pa shops (of which there were a lot of in the 90's).

Sorry to any Uniracers fans if it sounds like I'm shitting on your favorite game, but I'm not. I just don't see how it could possibly be considered a *defining* game for the console. I totally get it if you were one of the few that knew about the game that when YOU think of the SNES it's one of the games that you think of. So for another example, E.V.O. meant a lot to me when I was young. Of course, it was unheard of back then, but it's one of my favorites for the SNES (one of my defining SNES games) but I can understand how it's not a defining game for the console as a whole. That's why I can safely say that (and you might wanna sit down for this) Earthbound should also not be on the defining games list. Earthbound and E.V.O. are very similar, being unheard of games back when with less than stellar sales, and only gained recent notoriety and popularity due to the Internet and the retro game craze. That's why I use it as an example.

Sorry to derail, and I'll get off my soap box in a minute, I'd just like to make this one point. The Defining Games articles need to have some standard, otherwise they just become someone's Top X list.

Great post! I'm at fault too on the derail, but good discussion on your part. Makes sense too, how many knew of the game compared to the more popular titles? As a devout Commodore 64 gamer, I discovered Uniracers only when my friend's son showed it off on their new SNES. We knew of Mario, but what was that with the "Sonic" speed runs? The history side of course as mentioned in the 101 is also a great key note, in this case one of Rockstar's (Grand Theft Auto) earliest game.

For defining games the traditional names of course should be there, but a few exclusives as well that makes each console unique in its own? Perhaps the exclusives should be popular titles that sold well making for the defining mark?
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

Sounds like a "Re-defining the Defining Games on the SNES" thread needs to happen in the Nintendo forum. Love it.
miked
128-bit

Post by miked »

Super excited to see the wheels are turning on this. Can't wait to see new content on the front page again.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Tanooki wrote:Would scrapping/rewriting an existing out of date section be something of value?'

I might have it in me to re-invent the NGPC and Neo-Geo area since I've been deep enough into that for a time now.

Sure! Go for it :) Just lemme know when it's ready!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Flake wrote:I wrote that one back in 2011.

No but seriously, I would love to have more freedom from the site's existing format to write much more specific content. I have this weird itch to chronicle mastering Street Fighter Alpha 3 for the GBA for instance. Or going glitch diving on Kid Icarus for the Gameboy.

Racketboy was an SEO dream back in 2010 but the Internet has changed so much!

I'm cool with branching out some, but keep in mind, the more specific you get, the more limited audience you'll have.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Ziggy587 wrote:
racketboy wrote:My only request is that we start with a 101 type piece and then we can add more in-depth and specific pieces to complement it. Just send me a note if you're serious about contributing :)

Hey Racket. I know you said you'd like to start with 101's, but I had the same sort of question about rewriting existing articles. A few of them could stand to be spruced up a bit, and it might be low-hanging fruit so to speak.

In particular, the SNES Defining Games article always bothered me a bit. Uniracers might be a hidden gem, but it's certainly not a defining game.

I responded in that thread as well, but I'll repeat a bit here :)

I'm all for reviewing posts to be updated, but for the "Defining" series, one of the primary goals is featuring games that made the biggest impact at the time -- even around the time of the console's launch. That maybe mean that some not-so-timeless games are on the list. It's possible for some late bloomers could be added to the list.