Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ziggy

Re: Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:While not my camp yet (use PC emu personally), if we had a simple Raspberry Pi tutorial, that'd drive traffic and help people out as well.

Not even a tutorial, just a "check this out" Raspberry Pi article would get a lot of traffic. Those things are so popular right now. I would suggest an article that's more like a Retro Gaming 101 write up for it. It could mainly cover how you can use one as an all-in-one retro emulator (RetroPie) and then briefly show off other cool popular projects like Gameboy Zero / Super Pi Boy and the like.

Jagosaurus wrote:This RB thread is a great ongoing list of flashcarts & ODEs:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopi ... &hilit=ODE

I'd be all for if we wanted to turn this into an article for the main site. My suggestion would be to take the "What is a flash cart?" and "What are the main benefits of a flash cart?" part of that post and turn it into the article, then maybe briefly cover the most popular flash carts, but then link back to the thread for the individual cart write ups. Reason being is that the info/features of the flash carts have been changing so rapidly that the article would be quickly outdated if we put them there. If they're in the forum post, I can keep them up to date. The "What is a flash cart?" part is never going to change.

You might have noticed at the top of the linked thread I had plans for other articles as well. Disc drive emulators are the equivalent of flash carts for disc-based consoles. And in my mind flash carts, repro carts, homebrew carts, disc drive emulators, and backup devices like the Retrode all crossover in the land of preservation. Which, I think is important for more people to be talking about. I've been wanting to write these up for a while now, I just have a hard time getting my thoughts into words.

But speaking of... The "maker" community has really exploded in recent years. Never before has it been so easy to get your ideas produced in physical form. With 3D printing being accessible to many, and PCB manufacturing being very affordable, we're seeing more and more awesome stuff happen. People are doing amazing things with FPGAs and stuff like the Raspberry Pi. Then there's Kickstarter / crowd funding helping bring things to the public. There's really too many things to list, but that's a good thing. Since the RB articles stopped flowing, there's now an endless ocean of things to write about.

For example: Clone consoles use to be a cringe worthy thought, but not anymore. There's the Retron5, RetroUSB's AVS, the Revo K101, The GB Boy Colour. I haven't even seen a forum post here about the upcoming Super Retro Boy. And we really dropped the ball not having a NES Classic article. The traffic from that would have probably crashed the site.

Another example: Getting better AV output out of retro consoles. What we have available now is a zillion times better than what was available 5-10 years ago. The Hi-Def NES kit, the NESRGB kit, the UltraHDMI, to name a few. Then there's the modless, plug-and-play component cables from HD Retrovision. The XRGB upscalers. These things are amazing and each deserve their own article.

I'll stop there before we go too far into the rabbit hole. There really is an amazing amount of retro gaming goodness out there right now.

edit: Hell, even an article covering how awesome the maker community is right now would be neat.

Some other ideas I've long had for articles:

1: The 6502 processor. This processor had a huge impact in the world of computers, and one (or a variation of it) can be found in a lot of popular devices such as Atari, Commodore, and Nintendo.

2: The Burning Guide. The burning guide that I wrote has become out of date. I made a revision to update it, but it was never published. After thinking about it more, I would want to do more than just update it. It was written more as a how-to for burning games that you download. I would like to turn it into a how-to guide for reading/writing disc images, which is really what I was after in the first place. The info would be there should you choose to download games and burn them, but it wouldn't be blatant how to burn your pirated games. This would also expand the guide to learn how to back up your legit discs, which can tie into what CRT and Jag were talking about with things like ODEs, Open PS2 Loader, etc. Retro gamers use to say "backups" with an eye wink because they really meant "pirated games you downloaded." But we have legit reasons to backup our games these days because of disc drive emulators / HDD loading.

3: Power Supplies. I'm not sure if this would be good for a main page article, or better as a forum thread. Basically, I've just been compiling any info I've come across regarding power supplies and I've been wanting to organize it into a write up. It would cover listing the specs for OEM power supplies (confirmed by pictures of the actual PSUs, which were submitted by forum members in an old thread), and somewhat brief how-to's on diagnosing, finding replacements, repairing, etc.

Racket, if you're reading this, I guess I'll shot you an email if I get the chance. I would like to volunteer to write up some stuff, I just don't think of myself as the strongest writer. I think I can do OK (but just OK) if I'm more or less reviewing some piece of kit or some tech how-to, but that's about it. For example, I don't even know where to start for a 6502 write up. I can get a bullet point of all the interesting facts about it, but I don't think I'm a creative enough writer to spin them into something that would be a good read.

edit: Everything I said above, I posted it here so others can give me feedback. Point out what you think is a good idea or bad idea. Expand on something. Modify an idea if you think it's a good idea but not necessarily the right track. Et cetera.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Sarge wrote:As per some private discussion, I'm going to attempt to do a genre guide for NES RPGs. It will concentrate mostly on Western-released games, but I might branch out into the world of fan translations as well. Actually, that'd make a great sub-article.

I have no idea if this would be popular in the slightest, but I'd be up for writing a FDS RPG guide. I own almost all in disk format, and have played most as well. It's a small and very unique cluster of games.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Sarge wrote:As per some private discussion, I'm going to attempt to do a genre guide for NES RPGs. It will concentrate mostly on Western-released games, but I might branch out into the world of fan translations as well. Actually, that'd make a great sub-article.

I have no idea if this would be popular in the slightest, but I'd be up for writing a FDS RPG guide. I own almost all in disk format, and have played most as well. It's a small and very unique cluster of games.

Well, idk about other folks, but I'd read it. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

I will read anything bone writes about old games, even if I have played it 3 times more than he has and our opinions clash, because I like his writing and perspectives. Same with sarge and elkin, too
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@Ziggy, I couldn't agree more. I guess what I'm trying to describe is that "old meets new" technology movement.

Articles as simple as "How to Make Your Retro Consoles Lool Great on Modern TVs" would drive traffic.

@Bonez, I'd dig that.

Also, I'm about to jump into the world of retro computer emulation (outside of DOSBOX which started this infatuation). I'd love to see info you have on old computer platforms like the Amiga, Vic 20, Com 64, Atari 800, Atari ST/Falcon, Apple II, MSX, Sinclair, ZX, MSX, FM Towns... the list goes on. Not many sites cover those. There is a huge gap there IMO. I know I'm missing out on some great games.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

marurun wrote:Same with sarge and elkin, too

:D Aww, you're so sweet.

chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:While not my camp yet (use PC emu personally), if we had a simple Raspberry Pi tutorial, that'd drive traffic and help people out as well.

Not even a tutorial, just a "check this out" Raspberry Pi article would get a lot of traffic. Those things are so popular right now. I would suggest an article that's more like a Retro Gaming 101 write up for it. It could mainly cover how you can use one as an all-in-one retro emulator (RetroPie) and then briefly show off other cool popular projects like Gameboy Zero / Super Pi Boy and the like.

I think this is the best way to go at first. I do think there should be some more in-depth pieces as well, like setting up the new RGB and Component boards for the Pi, those have piqued my interest as a new, flexible 240p emulation source. We could also compare the Pi emulation to say PC, and give a good list of pros and cons.

In fact, do you guys think it's worth it to do a "240p Emulation" article? I know the HDTV article would be much more popular in general, but it is hard to get solid info on the range of 240p options out there and native resolution is very important to some.

Ziggy587 wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:This RB thread is a great ongoing list of flashcarts & ODEs:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=36353&hilit=ODE

I'd be all for if we wanted to turn this into an article for the main site. My suggestion would be to take the "What is a flash cart?" and "What are the main benefits of a flash cart?" part of that post and turn it into the article, then maybe briefly cover the most popular flash carts, but then link back to the thread for the individual cart write ups[...]

You might have noticed at the top of the linked thread I had plans for other articles as well. Disc drive emulators are the equivalent of flash carts for disc-based consoles. And in my mind flash carts, repro carts, homebrew carts, disc drive emulators, and backup devices like the Retrode all crossover in the land of preservation. Which, I think is important for more people to be talking about. I've been wanting to write these up for a while now, I just have a hard time getting my thoughts into words.

I think the flash cart thread is one of the strongest resources we have on the forum, and if it was made into an article, I think it'd be very popular but also be a valuable resource for anyone looking at getting one.

The ODE landscape is even more barren in regards to good info, I think for general information, an article based on what info we have in the threads would be the best single resource on the net (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Ziggy587 wrote:For example: Clone consoles use to be a cringe worthy thought, but not anymore. There's the Retron5, RetroUSB's AVS, the Revo K101, The GB Boy Colour. I haven't even seen a forum post here about the upcoming Super Retro Boy. And we really dropped the ball not having a NES Classic article. The traffic from that would have probably crashed the site.

100% Agree. Again it is hard to find a consice source for the "proper" clone scene without trawling multiple forums. An article just detailing what different approaches are (FPGA, software emulation, real hardware, etc), and what is out there would be great.

Ziggy587 wrote:Another example: Getting better AV output out of retro consoles. What we have available now is a zillion times better than what was available 5-10 years ago. The Hi-Def NES kit, the NESRGB kit, the UltraHDMI, to name a few. Then there's the modless, plug-and-play component cables from HD Retrovision. The XRGB upscalers. These things are amazing and each deserve their own article.

This would be good, Retro RGB is a good source for this but we could take it a step further. A good rundown of best AV quality available without modding (like this thread: viewtopic.php?p=380074#p380074) would be a good start. Just expand on what is aready there with some flavor text, then break down available mods by console with links.

Ziggy587 wrote:2: The Burning Guide. The burning guide that I wrote has become out of date. I made a revision to update it, but it was never published. After thinking about it more, I would want to do more than just update it. It was written more as a how-to for burning games that you download. I would like to turn it into a how-to guide for reading/writing disc images, which is really what I was after in the first place.

This would be a big help, especially for games from the PS2 era onward. I can't tell you how many CD-Rs I've ruined because of bad burns. I think the ripping guide would be better in the long run though, since HDD loading and ODEs are gaining traction.

Ziggy587 wrote:3: Power Supplies. I'm not sure if this would be good for a main page article, or better as a forum thread. Basically, I've just been compiling any info I've come across regarding power supplies and I've been wanting to organize it into a write up. It would cover listing the specs for OEM power supplies (confirmed by pictures of the actual PSUs, which were submitted by forum members in an old thread), and somewhat brief how-to's on diagnosing, finding replacements, repairing, etc.

I think documenting old PSUs would be really helpful. Maybe include some info about solutions that try to do it right like RetroDC and things like that?

I had a tough time finding a good video switch for anything other than composite recently. I have been thinking of putting some info together on recommended switches for component and s-video if anyone would be interested. If we all chimed in on what switches we use or which ones to avoid, it'd come together quick.

Jagosaurus wrote:@Ziggy, I couldn't agree more. I guess what I'm trying to describe is that "old meets new" technology movement.

Articles as simple as "How to Make Your Retro Consoles Lool Great on Modern TVs" would drive traffic.

Also, I'm about to jump into the world of retro computer emulation (outside of DOSBOX which started this infatuation). I'd love to see info you have on old computer platforms like the Amiga, Vic 20, Com 64, Atari 800, Atari ST/Falcon, Apple II, MSX, Sinclair, ZX, MSX, FM Towns... the list goes on. Not many sites cover those. There is a huge gap there IMO. I know I'm missing out on some great games.

I'm 100% behind the alternative computer article, and I think you're right in that an article titled "How to Make Your Retro Consoles Look Great on Modern TVs" would drive great traffic.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Maybe a guide about how to apply Translation patches and play them using actual cartridges or on actual hardware would be cool? Could cover stuff like Retron5 and Retrofreak, soft modded consoles, flash carts, Repros etc.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

@ chuckster: Good input. I think we're on the right track with these topics. And Jag is right, "old meets new" is what's hot in the retro gaming scene right now.

@ AJ: Those were exactly my thoughts. The Retron 5, repros, flash carts, etc all have common ground when it comes to translation patches and whatnot.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

alienjesus wrote:Maybe a guide about how to apply Translation patches and play them using actual cartridges or on actual hardware would be cool? Could cover stuff like Retron5 and Retrofreak, soft modded consoles, flash carts, Repros etc.

Specifically with regards to repros, something that might be good would be how to tell legit carts from repro carts.