Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
racketboy
Site Admin

Re: Booting Up Content Again in the Near Future - Who's In?

Post by racketboy »

Yeah, YouTube is emerged --that's fair. I deal with YouTube a ton in my day job, but I think it also depends on a person's consumption preferences.

It also take a different type of personality and work skills/habits to effectively do video. I could eventully see myself doing more interview videos in the future, but I don't think I have the personality to do the type of videos that many Youtubers do. It's a very different medium.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

racketboy wrote:It also take a different type of personality and work skills/habits to effectively do video. I could eventully see myself doing more interview videos in the future, but I don't think I have the personality to do the type of videos that many Youtubers do. It's a very different medium.

I was gonna say that, at least that I totally understand it. The rule of thumb is every minute of video takes an hour to make. That and, yeah, video production is an entirely different skill set. And I definitely get the personality thing. I've long thought about starting my own channel. I know I can have a lot of great content (subject matter) but I'm not convinced I would be a favorable personality.

Would you be open to forum members making videos for the Racketboy YouTube channel? I'm not suggesting anything huge, but rather an on occasion type of deal. Of course, a lot of consideration would have to go into what a Racketboy video should be, where the bar needs to be, etc. But yeah, I don't expect you to have the time for constant video production on top of your current load.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Oh for sure I'd be up for that. I would need there to be a certain standard of quality and I could give guidance on production. I've been behind the scenes on a 1 mil + subscription YouTube channel for 9 years so I know what goes into it. But I need team members to make up for what I do lack.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Cool. I'm glad you're into it.

I think we should create a new thread to discuss this further. Before ideas for content, I definitely agree that a few things have to be defined. As you said, standard of quality (I think there's a lot that should be discussed here alone). Format is another thing. Sticking to the same format helps brand recognition. Also, I feel like you and/or person(s) you appoint should have to approve certain aspects of the video (to be defined) before it even goes into production. And, of course, approve the video after it's made.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I love the youtube idea. I thought about that this week as well. Having multiple folks contribute to a YT channel would be interesting as long as quality control is in place. I'd enjoy recording Skype interviews with indie developers (DC, Jaguar, Neo Geo, Genesis, SNES scene), devs who were in the game years ago, etc. I think audio of interviews laid over a nice background or footage of game in question running, would be fine as well. A lot of folks digest YT only. I've seen several podcast post video segments of the podcast (either audio or actual cameras footage) on YT to cross promote to podcast & YT channel.

Nice Nick. Cool background in this area. Not sure why, but I though you were a software developer.

Posting this here after I confirmed with Nick so I am fully committed...

I will be writing an article on The State of Jaguar Emulation in 2017.

Also, in the future I'd like my second article to be over the Recent Jaguar Homebrew and Indie Scene. We've seen multiple cart & box releases over the past few years (I'd say 20+) and even more releases when you count digital only and the CD medium. A new SD flash cart and CD emulation on this cart is in the works. I fully expect this scene to explode even further with this available. The Jaguar is a console thatfans and haters always argue about how powerful it could have been & how difficult it is to program for... so it attracts developers who seem interested in this odd beast. I would argue the new dev scene is nearly on par with the Dreamcast indie scene. Saying "no way!?"... see below.

I wanted to share several examples of recent Jag homebrew and Indie releases here as a preview. These only include physical releases. I know I'm missing some & I haven't even touched on games that are digital binaries for flash cart (SKUNKboard) and burned CD only. Some of these even support the rotary controller which was planned but never officially released by Atari (released within mod community only). The scene is thriving! I'd like RB to get some of the associated coverage on the site. I want to put a quick synopsis of these and others in one place, similar to our very own 2015 Homebrew Dreamcast Article.

Thoughts on this article idea? Did you know these existed?

Some of the recent and notable Jaguar homebrew and indie releases:

Multiple ST Ports with Cart & Box.
Along with a Brett Hull Hockey box.
ST ports by CJ of Reboot
Boxes by Gatzee

Custodian
by Piko - cart

Robinson's Requim
port by Songbird - CD

Impulse X
by Mathias - cart & CD

Another World
port by Removers of Jagware - cart
By far, the oldest on this list being a few years old, but wanted to share. Not to be confused with Flashback which was released during retail Jag life.

Alice's Mom Rescue
by Orion - cart & CD

Elansar & Philia (Elansar sequel)
by Orion

Flappy McFur
by BitJag - cart & CD

Soccer Kid + Frog Feast
port and release by Songbird - Dual Cart

Rebooteroids
by Reboot - Cart

Xenon 2
Bitmap Brothers blessing :shock:
ported by CJ of Reboot (new music) - cart

Small Preview of Digital/CD burn only:
Tube
https://youtu.be/Y7PzSY6fA_U

Downfall
https://youtu.be/Cx0xOOpDaFE

Edit: placed pics in spoiler tabs so I don't crush your Netscape browser :wink:
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Sat May 27, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I hope I'm not jinxing myself or something, but I feel like my writing style, habits, and such have greatly improved over the last 5 years. I'm also taking my time more, so that probably makes a huge difference, but I'm pretty excited about what I'm working on right now.

I'm in the middle of the Games That Defined The Xbox and a re-write of the Rare and Valuable Atari 2600 titles. Along the way, I've also jotted down a bunch of other ideas.

Some are going to be research of historical topics I'm interested in but I don't think have been written up in a good fashion (or at least very accessible).

I'm in a very big bookwork phase right now and I'm looking forward to sharing what I've learned!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

racketboy wrote:I hope I'm not jinxing myself or something, but I feel like my writing style, habits, and such have greatly improved over the last 5 years. I'm also taking my time more, so that probably makes a huge difference, but I'm pretty excited about what I'm working on right now.

I'm in the middle of the Games That Defined The Xbox and a re-write of the Rare and Valuable Atari 2600 titles. Along the way, I've also jotted down a bunch of other ideas.

Some are going to be research of historical topics I'm interested in but I don't think have been written up in a good fashion (or at least very accessible).

I'm in a very big bookwork phase right now and I'm looking forward to sharing what I've learned!

Nice! Looking forward to those.

The old school gaming news threads have me thinking...

Those would be quick articles & would drive hits. For example, when the Sega Forever service official gets revealed, put out a quick article on it. Later down the road there can be a review. When the RetroN HD (NES HDMI clone) was revealed, same scenario. We could write that today in 30 minutes. They could also be more low key, featuring an upcoming SD cart (NGPC is about to be released!), homebrew game, etc.

It's low hanging fruit that people are interested in. We don't have to be a news site by any means. It's more a "Hey this cool! Take a look and follow the development & release" type article.

There's a lot of "new meets old" products coming out that would be very easy and popular articles IMO. They would be less daunting to write and research versus our typical write ups.

Maybe this is a conflict of interest, but when relevant there could even be affiliate links if folks wanted to buy the product. Not sure if the ad rev is covering the site cost. Just an idea.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote:
racketboy wrote:I hope I'm not jinxing myself or something, but I feel like my writing style, habits, and such have greatly improved over the last 5 years. I'm also taking my time more, so that probably makes a huge difference, but I'm pretty excited about what I'm working on right now.

Nice! Looking forward to those.

The old school gaming news threads have me thinking...

Those would be quick articles & would drive hits. For example, when the Sega Forever service official gets revealed, put out a quick article on it. Later down the road there can be a review. When the RetroN HD (NES HDMI clone) was revealed, same scenario. We could write that today in 30 minutes. They could also be more low key, featuring an upcoming SD cart (NGPC is about to be released!), homebrew game, etc.

It's low hanging fruit that people are interested in. We don't have to be a news site by any means. It's more a "Hey this cool! Take a look and follow the development & release" type article.

There's a lot of "new meets old" products coming out that would be very easy and popular articles IMO. They would be less daunting to write and research versus our typical write ups.

Maybe this is a conflict of interest, but when relevant there could even be affiliate links if folks wanted to buy the product. Not sure if the ad rev is covering the site cost. Just an idea.

I actually went that route at the very beginning of the blog, but after a while it feels like this obligation that you have to stay on top of. Some people may thrive on that setup, but it got old after a while. I also found that I got more traffic (especially long term) to the guides and such as they have a longer shelf-life.

Now, if we're more picky on what "news" we write about, give some insight to add value, it could work. I just want to put my little warning out there :)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

racketboy wrote:I actually went that route at the very beginning of the blog, but after a while it feels like this obligation that you have to stay on top of. Some people may thrive on that setup, but it got old after a while. I also found that I got more traffic (especially long term) to the guides and such as they have a longer shelf-life.

Now, if we're more picky on what "news" we write about, give some insight to add value, it could work. I just want to put my little warning out there :)

Yeah, not trying to be IGN or Katoku. For example, a quick little news story on the RetroN HD, succinctly mention how it compares to the already available Retron 5 and Analog NT mini, etc. Too in depth would require a dedicated clone article and alienate many folks searching.

I can definitely see the guides getting more long term traffic. News is only relevant for so long.

Speaking of news... two more Atari ST to Jaguar ports are getting cart & box releases. It's a fun time to be in the hobby! I'm very interested in Commando...
$46 for cart only, $64 for cart and box
Order thread

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I'm still slowly chipping away at the NES RPGs. I haven't forgotten! I'll figure out how I'm going to structure the article eventually. I may reserve most of my verbiage for the absolute classics, then hit on the games I'm less familiar with in smaller doses. In other words, pretty much all the WRPGs. :lol: