Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

What's your opinion of GMO food sources?

They are absolutely safe to eat.
64%
They are probably safe to eat.
21%
They are absolutely unsafe to eat.
7%
They are probably unsafe to eat.
No votes
More research must be done to determine safety.
No votes
I have an opinion not on this poll (post to explain).
7%

Total votes : 14
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

What's your opinion of GMO food sources?

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:51 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetically_modified_food

Just wondering what the general consensus is around these parts.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Re: What's your opinion of GMO food sources?

by marurun Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:01 pm

Based on the research I've read, I believe most GMO crops are indeed safe for human consumption, and in some cases, such as golden rice, more beneficial than non-GMO crops. But it's hard to generalize about GMO crops, since the introduction of new genes means you have to test all over again. I know GMO is used as a blanket designation, but scientifically speaking, each GMO variant needs to be tested and evaluated on its own terms.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 pm

marurun wrote:I know GMO is used as a blanket designation, but scientifically speaking, each GMO variant needs to be tested and evaluated on its own terms.

I actually agree with you. But for the purpose of a broader discussion, I used the description "general consensus" for that reason.

I'll add that with all the new developments with CRISPR, I think GMO is only going to increase in use. And so it's interesting to discuss IMO.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:18 pm

Nearly everything we eat is a Genetically Modified Organism. This has been the case for a long time now; it's not a modern trend. Animal husbandry is as old as the book of Genesis. Selective breeding of crops was a major development in early human civilization. Whether our ancestors knew it or not, they were modifying the genes of the plants and animals they wanted to eat.

The only difference is that we are much better at it now. We have a firmer understanding of genetic science.

Seems like a first-world problem to me. The anti-GMO crowd always reminds me of the anti-vax crowd. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bit of overlap between the two groups.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:22 pm

There is a branch of the anti-GMO people who got there by getting pissed at the admittedly shitty business practices of Monsanto. I used to work with a guy like that, but myself and another coworker were actually able to get him to split GMO from Monsanto GMO and as a consequence he was willing to admit to himself that GMO in itself is not bad; like anything it can be applied in good or bad ways.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Yeah, I think the basic practice is perfectly fine, an extension of what we already do/did via selective breeding and the like.

Getting to the point where something that can/does naturally propagate itself is subject to IP laws and all is kind of silly, but that's on the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:32 pm

I hate absolutes, so I went with probably, leaning heavily towards the absolute.

Given that I work at a very ag-focused college, I at least get some exposure to the types of research that goes on in the industry. But we've been selectively breeding for years, this is just another level in that. I have no problem with GMOs at all. :)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:57 pm

Oh, CRISPR is going to be super exciting. And also lead to some spectacular failures. Now that these kinds of modifications are becoming easier we must absolutely vet our supply chains. Modifications must be tested, and only sold when demonstrated safe. But we must also be sure we're not getting food from places that may start using these technologies without appropriate safeguards. I have always rejected talk of "Frankenfood", but CRISPR opens the door to that maybe actually being a thing, if not carefully monitored.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:59 pm

Tweaking genes in food ain't gonna kill us. You want to talk health risks, look at use of chemical pesticides, not genetic modification.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:10 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Tweaking genes in food ain't gonna kill us. You want to talk health risks, look at use of chemical pesticides, not genetic modification.

Well, those two are related. One of the most prevalent GMs is Round-up Resistant. Used properly farmers can use less pesticide, but not all farmers use it properly. Some use it as an excuse to just dump MORE Round-Up on their fields. At least, that's what some opponents claim. I have no data whatsoever about actual pesticide usage patterns. But I know weeds can develop resistance to Round-Up, so that particular GM has a sort of end-life of a sort.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever