What's your opinion of GMO food sources?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean

What's your opinion of GMO food sources?

They are absolutely safe to eat.
64%
They are probably safe to eat.
21%
They are absolutely unsafe to eat.
7%
They are probably unsafe to eat.
No votes
More research must be done to determine safety.
No votes
I have an opinion not on this poll (post to explain).
7%

Total votes: 14

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: What's your opinion of GMO food sources?

Post by samsonlonghair »

Much like, "GMO," the word, "chemical," often gets misused to sound like something scary on the fringe. Literally everything is made of chemicals (with the possible exception of purified elements such as noble gasses).

Certain pesticides have been proven to be dangerous to us or to the environment. On the other hand, losing an entire season's harvest to boll weevils and aphids isn't exactly good for our health either. As in so many other things, the answer is to find a moderate balance.
marurun

Post by marurun »

You know, this issue is actually pretty important to me. I'm a liberal, and I'm for protecting the environment. But I'm also for feeding people good, healthy food, and many of the objections to GMO are the same objections to vaccinations: paranoid non-science/anti-science. The GMO and VAX issues are two anti-science bugaboos that plague the left, and it frustrates me, being someone who's also on the left. There are those who point to the political right and claim Republicans are anti-science, and on some issues the party is, but there's a bit of throwing stones in glass houses going on until the left's own anti-science nuts are put to bed.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm with you there, Maru.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

samsonlonghair wrote:Much like, "GMO," the word, "chemical," often gets misused to sound like something scary on the fringe. Literally everything is made of chemicals (with the possible exception of purified elements such as noble gasses).

Absolutely right. That's why I made sure to specify chemical pesticides.

I'm also with Maru 100%.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I'm also with Maru 100%.

This is Maru, star of the upcoming cat-in-box fighter Maru 100%.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I voted. But considering where I come from on this kind of stuff I hopefully don't need to expound much.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

MrPopo wrote:There is a branch of the anti-GMO people who got there by getting pissed at the admittedly shitty business practices of Monsanto.

I read about the subject and it seems most of the claims made against Monsanto, like the "suing farmers when their plants pollinize other farms" simply have little basis.

They do not seem worse than the average agricultural company. Which is not high praise, but I think it puts things on perspective.

As far as GMO goes, I share the views shared in this thread, particularly the views that it is no different than husbrandry or artificial selection. Bananas are a good example.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

GMO is a very blanket statement. Before they were using labs to genetically manipulate crops people for hundreds, thousands of years would take certain traits from a pair of plants and attempt to just breed that stuff as well for the best color, flavor, texture, longevity, size, etc. Hell go back far enough carrots didn't even start out orange and bananas are supposed to have seeds.

It makes me laugh when you see people whine how GMO is the death of us all and then they go right on and eat a long established style of GMO food. The stuff is safe and it would shock me if something really did end up screwed up, miraculously missed in a hell of a lot of testing, then came out and people started to drop from some illness or whatever.

GMO makes for ideal food, and finds ways to improve it further. GMO rice among others help to cheaply in large numbers feed poorer nations on the whole helping curb starvation.