Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Fragems
Next-Gen

Need some International Car Help :P

by Fragems Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:30 pm

So basically I'm having a bitch of a time tracking a specific part down for my right hand drive jeep. What I'm looking for is called an Idler Arm it's for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler X. The part seems to be pretty much none existent here. Idler arms in general don't seem to be very common let alone RHD ones :P and I was wondering if anyone in Europe or Japan could take a look at some online auto parts stores or eBay and see if they can find me a part # or site I can import it from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
lwcook
128-bit

Re: Need some International Car Help :P

by lwcook Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:07 pm

The more common name you'll find that part by is a Pitman arm. Try searching for that and you'll probably have better luck.

Also, researching the issue, you shouldn't have a problem using a LHD part as referenced here. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/what-do-you-think-about-using-lhd-pitman-arm-rhd-jeep-1160027/index2.html
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:31 pm

Nope, pitman is different than idler arm. Both on the track bar but the pitman goes on the steering box I believe, idler on the opposite side. Both common parts around 30 bucks apiece. You shouldn't need to replace unless you feel play in both arms, just tug on them with the car in park and see if you can move by hand.

You would think they'd have autozone in australia but no. I was curious and checked. You know they have to have a shit load of jeeps that need parts at some point or another.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:55 pm

Well my Jeeps a little different then the standard LHD :P. Luckily I have my dads jeep here to compare.

Here is the standard left Hand drive. I don't think they even have an Idler arm or at least it's a completely different setup if it does.

Here is the RHD Jeep Wrangler I use.

Here is the pitman arm which is connected to the idler arm via a bar.

Idler Arm.

Here is a basic description of the difference between the pitman and idler arm.

What we usually call the pittman arm is the arm that attaches to the drag link directly from the steering box and initiates steering movement and is located on the left.
The idler arm is located on the right side of the drag link and moves in tandem with the pittman arm

It's reversed since I have a RHD but it's the same concept.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:05 pm

Yeah you're right, you have the same thing just reversed. The pitman arm is on the track bar, death wobble part lol, connected to the steering box, idle arm connect to the same track bar but frame. Idle arm is easy to change pitman is too but you have to line it up the same degree as the one that came off. Might as well do both since they sometimes come as a package. You'd think they'd be interchangeable with your steering since it's only a lever moreless, but I guess maybe not? Did you check for any play in the 2 parts? That could he your whole reason of vibrations instead of firestone diagnosis. Idler arm causes vibration, pitman loose steering, track bar your shit is all over the road lol.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:23 am

Ask your post office coworkers if they know anyone with a broke down rhd Jeep to sell for a parts car.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:03 am

I'm pretty much the only person with a RHD vehicle the rest of them use left hand drive and just drive from the middle seat :P. The postal service doesn't really help source vehicles or parts either found my Jeep through eBay and had to make a 2k+ mile round trip to get it :P. About the only place I can think of around here that might have some info is the meter maids since they have a few of the same jeeps.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever