Self-Improvement Thread

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Self-Improvement Thread

Post by Xeogred »

deads = deadlifts?

I'm not sure how I feel about those... just looks like a recipe for a bad back?
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Yes deadlifts. Yes with bad form, you risk back problems. One of the top lifts though, you are working everything, so can't be ignored lol. And that's another thing. Lift what you can lift with proper technique, not what you think looks cool to others in the gym.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Well, I guess now would be a good time to air out some dirty laundry. I've come a long way in a short period of time. The last couple of years were pretty rough, with a couple of run-ins with the law and a couple of "suicide attempts", one of which landed me in a crisis unit (NOT doing that again). For my entire life I've struggled with diagnosed depression and anxiety. Which obviously was amplified due to a phase of chronic drinking. I've been prescribed medication but never stuck with it. Long story short, I've stuck with my medication for almost a year now. As much as I hate feeling like I rely on it, it seriously does wonders and I don't even want to know where I'd be if it weren't for taking them. My quality of life has greatly improved honestly. I quit drinking cold turkey a couple of months ago when it started to impact my responsibilities. That's when I realized I needed to get my shit together. Also, due to my anxiety I had never had a job in my life, not that I didn't try. I just always bombed interviews or gave up because I was such a nervous wreck. However I got my first job last year (at 27 years old) and have been there for 6 months now, and it's a huge huge thing for me, as now I have the independence and sense of self-worth that I've always desperately needed. I've cut out negative people/influences in my life. Which honestly is just about everyone I used to associate with. Due to this I don't really socialize and am a bit of a hermit, but I'm very introverted to begin with so this doesn't bother me even though it may seem unhealthy or something to other people. Overall I'm extremely happy with my life at this point and the changes that I have made. I literally feel like a different person.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

That's awesome, harper. I'm glad you're looking out for yourself, and I admire you overcoming all that you have had to overcome. If you ever need support, this is a great place for it (even if we are internet strangers).
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Something to consider if you start feeling like you're "depending" on the medication that's keeping your mood stable; you also depend on food and water or your body will start getting pissed at you.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Very true. And the same can be said about other types of medications as well. I've come to accept it really. It's a very small price to pay for peace of mind. I pretty much had to hit rock bottom to realize this, but better late than never.