Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
TSTR
Next-Gen

Re: Self-Improvement Thread

by TSTR Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:25 pm

Hell yeah dude! If I had to be at a desk for an extended period of time, I'd definitely invest in something like that. Gotta keep it pumpin!
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:09 am

Hi all,

for those of you that can't or don't want to go to a gym, and also as Ack mentioned some difficult bodyweight exercises (one-arm pull-ups are probably really hard), I like the progressions in this site:

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/exerci ... ns_12.html

It looks intimidating because there are so many different exercises, but in each category you just need to find where you are at - or start at the top with the easiest version - and do that for a while until you "level up" to the next difficulty. Also you don't need to to the whole routine - as I don't have a pull-up bar when I can't go to a gym (e.g. traveling) I warm-up, do one of the squats, one of the vertical push-ups, and one of the push-ups, and one of the planks, and then stretch out and finish.

If you invest in a pull-up bar, you can do the whole set with pull-ups, leg raises etc.

If anyone wants to try it and has doubts let me know and I'll help if I can.

For those of you that can and are willing to go to gyms and do free weights, this is a good place to start, and there is even an app for the extremely simple routine:

https://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Lots of squats, they are good for you.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:37 am

Haven't done crap since dec 23, gained 9 pounds back, and hurt me knee to the point where I can't do cardio.
Yesterday went to a sauna jacuzzi type place and made my knee feel better.
This morning I woke up and went downstairs and did back and biceps on the bowflex. Just a warm up since it's been weeks. Got to the market and just bought chicken and veggies.
Even though my job is going away, I might be getting fired this week from lay offs,I gained weight,
I'm broke as hell and this Jan is crazy with the bills, I'm getting tested right now and I'm going to break thru this get down to 206 get money in my bank kill one credit card bill and get a better job by jun 21
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:49 am

@mas - Love the fire. Crush it dude, you can do it!

Ivo has some great recommendations for programs there. The bodyweight stuff I'd been doing is similar to that setup, and the program I'll be working with the weights is basically a cross between SL5x5 and Starting Strength (another solid looking program/helpful and informative book). If I'm not mistaken, SL is derived from SS as well.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:15 pm

LET THE KILLING BEGIN

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Nice.

I don't consider myself out of shape (hiked 6.5 miles up and down forested hill terrain today for example), but I've been thinking of getting some extra equipment soon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBUNAO/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B1N0R6C/

Though to be honest, the self-improvement I need to work on is my apathetic disdain in general. A lot harder than hiking that's for sure.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
stickem
Next-Gen

by stickem Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:35 pm

TSTR wrote:LET THE KILLING BEGIN

That looks like an accident waiting to happen lol
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:38 pm

AHAHA yeah, I better keep a phone handy so I can holler at 911 if I need to. If I still can, that is...
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:50 pm

Iron Gyms (first link) are pretty legit. I have never used mine on the floor yet or anything though.
Ivo
Next-Gen

by Ivo Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:07 am

TSTR wrote:AHAHA yeah, I better keep a phone handy so I can holler at 911 if I need to. If I still can, that is...

Get some safety pins installed there somehow, so you can drop the bar on them (instead of on yourself), or don't even push it with Bench Pressing unless you have a spotter. Not joking here.

Also, is that... joined together by duct tape?
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever