Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: Self-Improvement Thread

by Ack Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:52 am

I've considered it, I'm just also quite busy unfortunately. I had a lot on my plate last year, and it's looking like I'll have a lot going on this year too.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:01 pm

Good stuff Ack. I think everybody could use a random completely offline weekend or so every once awhile to reboot. It can definitely feel good and whenever I do it, I get even more gaming and things done and feel pretty relaxed.

If you're interested in a more intensive yoga program check out DDP Yoga. Although I like the breathing and meditative stuff others incorporate. But he's not really about that. His shorter vidoes are only 20-30 minutes, so it feels easy enough for me to fit in the morning usually. I definitely feel better both mentally and physically whenever I do yoga. That's even if I wake up aching or have some pain, burning that off helps way more than just doing nothing.

My bouts with social anxiety have been pretty weird. I worry it's a life long effect after taking anti-depressants mentioned earlier because it feels like that's when it started. Or that being more secluded after high school developed it a bit. More recently I worked for about a month or two at Costco in 2015 and being surrounded by hundreds of people really helped me come back from it quite a bit. It seems like something you just have to really step through, simply going to the grocery store and powering through things like that builds up the tolerance again. I still have a lot of anger and anxiety whenever I drive though, I'm guessing it stems from a double impact car wreck I was in years ago. I just hate driving and wish all the USA was designed for public transportation everywhere instead, I sure would love to not own a car...

Music always helps my moods. Weirdly enough I've noticed heavy metal often relieves bouts of anxiety for me, when you'd maybe think it would do the opposite haha.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:05 pm

When I was younger, say my late teens and early twenties, I had a problem with depression. Around my mid twenties that depression mutated into furious anger, and anger became my crutch up into my early thirties. From my early thirties and here into my late thirties, anger has subsided into a malaise of apathy. If I've got a problem with anything these days, it's apathy for sure. Last year was a seriously stressful year for me, and to be crude let's just say it burnt out all the give a fuck I presently had.

So now I'm mentally trying to rejuvenate myself to move beyond apathy and into a more positive and constructive outlook. I guess it doesn't help that my Enneagram is type 1 reformer, meaning that I never think anything is good enough, especially myself. I basically have this guy in my brain at all times (drive):
But then combat him with this guy (apathy):
Obviously the healthy option is moderation of both extremes, but finding that moderation has been difficult for me lately.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:08 pm

@Ack - I feel you on those panic attacks, man. All of a sudden feeling like the world is closing in on you and you're about to have a fucking heart attack at the same time--NOT COOL.

If any of y'all are having this shit happen to you, DO NOT FUCK AROUND AND PASS GO, SEE A DOCTOR. Benzos have been an amazing tool in my recovery process. Haven't had to take any in a while, but you can rest assured that if that shit starts happening to me again, I will get a -lam, -pam, -thankyouma'am Rx in my hands faster than Sonic hits a loop-de-loop.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:25 pm

Quick update—down to around 204-5 now, which is ~30 lbs less than when I started giving a shit about myself. Gonna have to go down ANOTHER waist size here soon.

Still gotta clean up the plates and bar for my weight set, along with putting together the new bench I got. Been kind of outta action for a bit due to sickness/snow, but still motivated.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:26 pm

I've stopped running on the treadmill every morning (too loud for the kids) and have switched to an old-school exercise bike. One of those ones that feels "sandy." Y'all know what I mean. I'd like to eventually switch to one of those bike trainer things that allows me to transform my actual bike into a stationary bike. In due time...

I listen to my iPod and watch mute CNN while riding. Good times.
Ack

by Ack Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:43 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I've stopped running on the treadmill every morning (too loud for the kids) and have switched to an old-school exercise bike. One of those ones that feels "sandy." Y'all know what I mean. I'd like to eventually switch to one of those bike trainer things that allows me to transform my actual bike into a stationary bike. In due time...

I listen to my iPod and watch mute CNN while riding. Good times.

No, listen to Necro's The Sexorcist while watching episodes of Kimpossible on mute. Trust me, when it syncs up, it's incredible.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:48 pm

Is there a benefit or downside to a treadmill vs running outside? Totally serious.

I really want to do something cardio related before I get too old for it or something. I dread it though since I have asthma. Really getting back into the groove with DDP Yoga though, I did one of the harder workouts which runs for about 55 minutes or something last weekend and it was epic haha. His other ones I normally do are only 20-30 minutes in comparison. I have to imagine yoga and these help out with cardio a bit.
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:44 pm

Before I get into this, let me say that I am not an expert, and all my advice should be taken accordingly.

TREADMILL VS. RUNNING OUTSIDE

With the treadmill, you get the advantages of: specific control over terrain intensity (speed/incline), climate, stat readouts (debatable accuracy), cleanliness, less joint stress, and saving equipment (shoes) wear and tear. However, it's a fucking treadmill. Unless you're super focused, you're gonna have to make it exciting.

With outside, you get the advantages of: fresh air, scenery, endless variation in terrain for intensities, and feeling less restricted (i.e. I'm actually doing something, rather than just pushing dick on some machine like a hamster). You're gonna beat up some shoes, stress your joints harder (depending on where you go, say a track is more treadmill-like than a path in the woods), and have to deal with weather.

But overall, in the past I've found running more fun than the treadmill. Maybe that's the hippie in me coming out, but there's just something about being in nature that feels invigorating.

That said, my cardio stuff is done on an elliptical that my girl purchased years ago. There is a convenience factor with machines that can't be understated.

#ramble
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 pm

I recently made an equipment purchase that I've found to be of benefit. If you've got a desk job and want to get some kind of exercise while you're sitting on your ass for 40+ hours a week, I recommend this:
I've been averaging 20 miles a day on resistance 5 of 8. Definitely better than nothing.*

*I just mean "nothing" while working. I do exercise in the evening after work.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever