Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

2017 gaming/anime/whatever convention ROLL CALL

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:39 am

Thought this would be a good way for Racketeers to meet up.

Don't be like me and go to a con and then realize after the fact that Dishwasher and Baby Mustang were also there.

I'll be at PortConMaine June 23rd and 24th.

Where are y'all going?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: 2017 gaming/anime/whatever convention ROLL CALL

by fastbilly1 Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:24 am

Current schedule is:
Seishuncon - February Atlanta. Ack will be there aswell, we are giving a few panels on movies.
MTAC - April Nashville. I am typically there to carry stuff for my wife.
Dragoncon - September Atlanta. I am doing Saturday only, probably Saturday night only. But if a project comes through, I may not make it at all.
GMX - October Nashville. I will probably run half a dozen panels for them again.

There are a couple other smaller shows that I end up at, like Akaicon - Nashville August, and HAMAcon - Huntsville Summer sometime, but those are always last second things my wife gets pulled into.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:45 pm

Awesome. Wish I could hit up multiple cons per year.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:23 pm

I use to run a con, so I would go to up to fifty (50) a year for marketing. When you do that, all the other con runners and vendors get to know each other. So you go to shows to see friends more than to be at the event. To the point of the guys who run Seishuncon and GMX/MTAC were at my wedding, and the con chair of Seishuncon has a key to my house - despite living a state away.

For local shows, I get asked to do panels as a last minute backup - if a guest has to cancel. The main conchairs know the quality of my panels, so I have been called as late as the morning of to run a panel. My wife and I keep about ten (10) different panels prepped at any time. They get cycled out yearly. I endedup running the Futurama panel at Dragoncon several years ago - with Billy West, John Dimaggio, and Phil LaMarr, because the Director in charge of the Animation Track knew I was at the show, could cover it, and her MC was vomiting. I guess it is a situation of knowing the right people at the right places.
marurun

by marurun Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:33 pm

That's cool, man. I never made it down to DragonCon, but I went to ChattaCon a couple times.

My big yearly con is Origins, in Columbus, OH. I go for friends and for the Smithee Awards. If you like bad movies you should read up on the Smithee Awards.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

by fastbilly1 Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:06 pm

Update: GMX is on hiatus this year, and MTAC is looking to be a no go for me. Possible project that weekend
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:13 am

I'm going to Retroworld Expo in Connecticut this October. I may also be on a VGM panel there, but nothing's official yet. I'll update when I've got more deets.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever