vch.ca
No votes
85%

Total votes: 13

Anapan
Next-Gen

RB '16 Recipient redux

Post by Anapan »

I've consulted the members who've participated in the charity and are the only members invested thus-far (please PM if notification wasn't received - time is short and participation is low).
A consensus among donors was requested and verified to hold another vote.

I'm Canadian Eh? so a selection of children's charities was gathered from my government's list of the best, as ranked by the percentage of donation transferred to recipients. They are all the best my leaders came up with, and are ranked by the percentage of collected funds that is transferred to donors.

#1 : Terry Fox foundation - I know I ran every year for my entire education for a good reason.
#2 : Alberta Children's Hospital foundation. I have a couple of co-workers who have had kids treated there. The kids are happy now.
#3 : Vancouver Coastal Health. From their site: Our hospital foundations raise millions of dollars every year to help pay for specialized equipment, support medical research and improve patient care.
#4 : Still can't publicly say anymore. It isn't me, and 100% will be transferred to recipient via Paypal.

I encourage anyone to let us (or me via PM, if necessary) know what you think of this redux vote.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
jp1
Next-Gen

Re: RB '16 Recipient redux

Post by jp1 »

Switched it up and voted member. I have faith that nobody would have been nominated without their knowledge for anything but the best of reasons.

Expect something via pm from me today or tomorrow. No idea what just yet, but I'll purchase something if need be.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

jp1 wrote:Switched it up and voted member. I have faith that nobody would have been nominated without their knowledge for anything but the best of reasons.

Agreed. If there's a legitimate need on this board, I vote that we help that person. We're a family, after all.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

I may be the odd-man-out, but I really wish I knew SOMETHING more about this RB member who needs assistance. I understand wanting privacy, but I'm considering throwing in something this year (will have them sorted out this weekend), and I'd like to participate with just a little more confidence.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

marurun wrote:I may be the odd-man-out, but I really wish I knew SOMETHING more about this RB member who needs assistance. I understand wanting privacy, but I'm considering throwing in something this year (will have them sorted out this weekend), and I'd like to participate with just a little more confidence.

I was feeling like this a little, but knowing that Anapan is a good dude I decided to trust his judgement on the matter. He always plays a substantial role in the auction, and as such, I believe his motives for choosing said member would be justified.

Hell, if it helps someone get back on their feet after hard times...that's good enough for me.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I voted member as well. If we can help one of our own in need I am all for it.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I voted for a member as well, since it's a community here, and a lot of established charities will have far more potential sources for donations.

At the same time, of course, it has a bit more potential to be awkward. If not this year, then in subsequent ones. Some folks may not feel comfortable accepting donations, and others might feel slighted that they didn't, etc. Things that aren't really an issue with established charities.

Again though, personally, I'm more in favor of a direct approach. Similarly, I'd just rather give money directly, rather than use it to pay for shipping on items I'd just as soon keep. :? So, assuming that we do go with a member, I will donate, just probably not via auction items this time.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I'm actually relieved that there were some votes the other way; There's no guarantee that member would accept anyway.
I always have unneeded and unused hardware, and I found that the charity is the perfect format to reduce clutter. I prepare for it every year; When I see a good deal on a console that I already have, I consider an upgrade/uptrade based on the condition - I gotta have good hardware hooked up. I always have extra games - dupes or duds whatever - I buy more than I play, and I only have room for the best. I like that the stuff goes back to the community, whether for resell or personal use is irrelevant. At least it all goes to my favorite online community.
The way I see it, if something sells for less than market value - good! I've always gotten a good deal in the forum marketplace - especially when requesting games or hardware, and our charity auction should be the same.
If something gets in a bidding war, also good - charity gets more.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage