Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: The Distribution of Users’ Computer Skills

by casterofdreams Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm sorry I don't understand the context.

How is Google not a reliable source?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:00 pm

I read the aforementioned article myself and find the results a little far fetched. I am skeptical of the results and the methodology.

Also, Google has helped me solve countless computer problems.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:00 pm

marurun wrote:"digital natives," trying to make the case that kids are somehow inherently tech savvy

I know a fair amount of teenagers by proxy. They are adept at using smartphone operating systems to launch apps. That's about it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:45 pm

casterofdreams wrote:How is Google not a reliable source?

I'd say because relatively little actually is. Google is still a very useful tool...but you can wind up with fake, old, or even straight up malicious results returned from it (though that's fairly rare). Similar to how email is a good and useful tool, but you can still wind up with a phishing email making it past the filters.

There's a lot out there to potentially filter and make sense of, and not everyone can actually discern between the good or bad...or even realize that they need to. Maybe that means they give out their banking information, maybe it just means they install six toolbars and fake antivirus.

Not that much of it is limited to computer use, of course. Just that it's easy to "not know better" if someone is already pushing the current limits of their knowledge just to scrape by.

Maybe not what marurun meant by it, but I think it's a fairly reasonable statement. Kids have to get taught that not everyone out there is their friend, and these days that's not just getting into a stranger's van, but not clicking the link promising free movies (or whatever). I mean, there are a lot of adults yet to learn the latter. :lol:
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:37 pm

You could dumb down the interface to be nothing but pictures on buttons, and some idiot will still find a way to screw it up:

https://youtu.be/hmUVo0xVAqE

and also
https://youtu.be/hmUVo0xVAqE
Last edited by J T on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:40 pm

Good user interfaces are not dumbed down; they're intuitive.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:37 pm

If someone just used "Google" as the name of their source, yeah, that's dumb. But using Google to find whitepapers that are legitimate sources is common practice for countless students.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:43 pm

As someone who has been the de facto IT technitian for my Dad's office for the past 4 or 5 years, I can definitely say this statistic is believable. Not all, but a decent enough percentage of older folk (50 and up years old) are just totally hopeless when it comes to computers or technology. The amount of times I've been dragged out of the house to just reinstall printer drivers, reset the modem, TURN ON THE TELEVISION (no I'm not kidding); it just makes you wonder how these people drive to work sometimes X(
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
marurun wrote:"digital natives," trying to make the case that kids are somehow inherently tech savvy

I know a fair amount of teenagers by proxy. They are adept at using smartphone operating systems to launch apps. That's about it.

Huh. I was going to ask, ages would be interesting to see here. But I guess this makes me feel like myself and older millennials (I guess) are in some strange limbo land having grown up in the 90's and grew with a lot of tech, computers, etc. But perhaps kids today are only versed with phones and tablets, nothing too dirty or intricate. I guess in a weird roundabout way maybe my mom fits the teen skillset, since she's on FB a disturbing amount, but just a few years ago I had to help her turn on the computer one day. Had to push that power button.

Should also take into consideration the sad fact that, some people just straight up don't want to learn things or put in any effort. My roommate for example. Had to help him hook up a computer (he's 30). In 2013 when I built my first PC I had only some experience messing with things in classes years back, but had never built anything from the ground up. I got it done because I was interested and just read the manual and did some research. I guess that's not fun for everyone though.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:18 am

As a field technician, I'm impressed by the number of people who do know their way around computers. My clientele is mainly people twice my age.

Although that flowchart on the first page fits well. Even I have to use Google many times, it's as invaluable as my flash drive of utilities and even my toolkits. Finding someone with a similar issue usually fixes the one I come across.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever