Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Actually good PC hardware / software news sites?

by Exhuminator Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:43 am

It seems like all the sites I used to read to keep up with the latest developments in PC hardware, software*, networking, things of that nature, have really gone to crap. Can some of you technological enthusiasts help by posting links to sites that are good? (Bonus points for sites that also keep up with smartphone technology.)

*I'm talking about non-gaming software.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Actually good PC hardware / software news sites?

by noiseredux Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:47 am

not sure what you consider good or crap, but I regularly read Maximum PC as far as non-gaming specific hardware/software goes.
marurun

by marurun Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:12 am

Sites like Tom's Hardware and Anandtech aren't as interesting now as they used to be, and they do run a little gaming focused, but they aren't bad, either, and they do look at non-gaming hardware as well.

I actually like the Ars Technica system guides. They always provide non-gaming options and information.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:51 am

Arstechnica tends to do good coverage when they do coverage. Their OS reviews (which include iOS/etc), for instance, tends to be the most comprehensive, and they do cover IT topics and things as well. Main issue is really that they cover a lot of different things, and still don't do the kind of volume that the more blog/feed style sites do.

Tom's can be good for some articles, just so. many. ads. Anandtech has slowed a lot after Anand got hired by Apple...but if/when they do full CPU reviews and things they tend to be good still.

Those are still largely the ones I tend to just visit on a regular basis. If I'm looking for something different I'll probably just end up searching and/or looking on forums.

I do agree that a lot of the big sites seem to be less now, but I think in large part it's a shift in media trends.
Last edited by isiolia on Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 am

I was going to say Ars Technica as well. They are rarely the first to break the news, but their reporting has better depth and is better researched than any other technology news source I can name.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:06 pm

I read Ars Technica from time to time, it's moderately decent. I still check PCWorld once in a while too. I guess I'm just looking for something hardcore like Slashdot used to be back in the day. I hadn't checked Tom's Hardware in a while, it's not too bad at this time.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:40 am

http://www.logicalincrements.com/
I do not care about banter, and I only like tested results. It may be out of date, but after being clued-in I use this site as a decent barometer of the hardware I'm upgrading to.
Nothing works without being bus-speed compatible.
The mechanical keyboards guide is above and beyond any other I've read (despite not being updated in years)

It's how I built my tower - Enthusiast. 2 years ago and still good. Still can't support UHD GTA5 best textures, but Mortal Kombat X+ recognises my hardware and makes the beautiful 1080p vsync continue with every update, while noticeably improving the graphical presentation.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 am

Anapan wrote:I do not care about banter, and I only like tested results.

You might like these two sites:

http://cpuboss.com/

http://gpuboss.com/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

by SNESdrunk Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:25 am

Exhuminator wrote:
Anapan wrote:I do not care about banter, and I only like tested results.

You might like these two sites:

http://cpuboss.com/

http://gpuboss.com/

Thank you, these are great, I've been looking for a replacement to X-Bit Labs ever since they just sort of faded away
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:04 am

Agreed - Very good! Thanks!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever