Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
J T
Next-Gen

Re: What were your or was the most common toys of the 80's

by J T Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:48 pm

While looking for images, I found this interesting interview with Timothy Clarke, who helped create the Boglins and Sectaurs. He also worked on some Jim Henson shows.

http://halloweenlove.com/hl-exclusive-i ... hy-clarke/
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:56 pm

mas wrote:Next year I want to really detail my 80's room. So I want to add a cabinet with a bunch of 80's toys. So for anyone who grew up in the 80's we all know the toys. Transformers, go joe's Star Wars, thundercats, he man etc. So I know most of the toy line up but what I want to ask is for those who had these toys what I want to do is like grab the most common of some of the toys.

Not only toys, but what about other things that really stood out in the 80s? The music for me the biggest influence, in addition to toys perhaps include a variety of 80s stuff?

See Back Future II, ooh that cool Ice Cream Soda Fountain.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

by Jmustang1968 Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:59 pm

I had GI Joes, He-Man, and Thunder Cats. A friend also had a ton of the MASK figures which I liked a lot as a kid.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:47 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:
mas wrote:Next year I want to really detail my 80's room. So I want to add a cabinet with a bunch of 80's toys. So for anyone who grew up in the 80's we all know the toys. Transformers, go joe's Star Wars, thundercats, he man etc. So I know most of the toy line up but what I want to ask is for those who had these toys what I want to do is like grab the most common of some of the toys.

Not only toys, but what about other things that really stood out in the 80s? The music for me the biggest influence, in addition to toys perhaps include a variety of 80s stuff?

See Back Future II, ooh that cool Ice Cream Soda Fountain.

Yeah I'm going to do this for next year. Maybe even say this on the resolution thread for 2017.
1. Get an arcade mini cab with 80's iconic game figures on sides.
Get a black 2600 model
Buy a couple of neon arcade and no smoking or get neon arcade related signs and lights.
Find a boom box or vinal record player
Collect some of our favorite toys
Re design my game room to make it more classic.
It's going to take time and I know I can do it
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:50 pm

Forgot to also add
Rotary phone or dial phone
Old cable box
Find an older vcr
Older tape deck player
Walkman
Etc
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:07 pm

I'd suggest finding at a flea market or goodwill as they're kind of common, one of the old bell phones or princess (bell) phones. The first is your stereotypical front facing rotary phone (or push button) with the solid tone body and usually gray face plate/buttons with the coiled cord -- needs no power, the small jolt from the phone jack in the wall is all it needs. The princess is similar, it's the slender one that sits on the base where it's narrow and just long enough for the hand piece. They're a boon to have, all the crap today requires a dumb battery/electricity which is a joke if you live anywhere where weather knocks out power.

VCR/Walkman, find an old Sony. The most 80s looking VCR I can think of are the mid decade stuff with the huge facing buttons on the system itself in the front, usually color coded too entirely or with the ink for the function (red button or red big dot for record.) Walkman is a walkman of that era, easy enough to find with or without a tape deck on it. Just remember to get your totally 80s VCR tape rewinder, be kind, rewind! :P
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

by jmbarnes101 Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:18 am

Great thread, I had a lot of the toys listed on the first page, or at least toys from those lines anyway. Like Mas I think I want to pick up some stuff like Soundwave with Ravage, He-Men figures, a couple Joes, some Muscles like Hand and Fridge, and some Gobots or Orbots. So much good stuff I had as a kid.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=14867&p=149112#p149112

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), Gamecube (Pokemon, Purple JPN modded), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega CDX, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x)
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:32 am

Gobots get boring fast unless you stick to the Super Gobots as they're just not well made or take a beating as well as a Transformer as Bandai just cheaped out big time. I had over a dozen of them and got rid of the crap, only kept the Super Gobots which were part of Machine Robo DX (the 80s german tank, and the yellow super beetle.)

Might as well throw this in here for fun if anyone wants to browse for ideas. This link is a pictorial spread of 70 Transformers of this post and they are of each transformation. Some just have the +1, and then I have Sixshot so there's 7.

http://s232.photobucket.com/user/tanook ... ansformers

If someone is looking for ideas, browse, goes from the second/third biggest (Omega Supreme and Metroplex) down to the tiniest micromaster cars.

If that's too much, here's a list. Broken by faction, name, job, and completeness. Almost nothing there is lacking parts as I don't like picking up loose ends (gets expensive.) http://tanooki.byethost16.com/transformers.html

Not yet added are Whirl, Rampage and Tantrum both Predacons. I have parts for them in the mail. Also on that link, my other robots (mainly 70s/80s Japanese robots) and Bandai Ultraman Spark Dolls I found oddly locally earlier this year.
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:48 am

Lmao had to throw in your collection huh tanooki. Man your stuff looks great. Congrats to you buddy.
If anyone has anything from the 80's please post it
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:56 am

mas wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:Not only toys, but what about other things that really stood out in the 80s? The music for me the biggest influence, in addition to toys perhaps include a variety of 80s stuff?
Yeah I'm going to do this for next year. Maybe even say this on the resolution thread for 2017.

1. Get an arcade mini cab with 80's iconic game figures on sides.
Get a black 2600 model
Buy a couple of neon arcade and no smoking or get neon arcade related signs and lights.
Find a boom box or vinal record player
Collect some of our favorite toys
Re design my game room to make it more classic.
It's going to take time and I know I can do it

I was thinking about the 80s music, listening to Thompson Twins. What was the one instrument that really stood out in the 80s that is rarely is heard in today's songs? The 50s had the Saxophone leading to the electric guitar booming huge in the 60s and 70s. Yeah a Gibson Guitar cool for display, but what was really 80s iconic?

Oh, definitely the Electronic Drum with its unique synthesized sound! The full size units pricey and take up room. Interesting that the Band Hero drum sets look similar.

I own two not as elaborate compact units. A Yamaha with four pads and works great with drumsticks detecting how hard you strike. No, I'm no drummer, but fun to hit the pads.

For real 80s nostalgia, I also own the first edition Synsonic Drum by Mattel. History significance due to early Electronic home drum by same company who came out with first handheld LED games, another thing to collect Mattel Football!

http://www.mikedolbear.com/story.asp?StoryID=3957

Vintage View: Synsonics Drums

And now for something completely different….

It’s difficult to work out how to categorize this month’s Vintage Views subject because ostensibly the only thing which qualifies it for inclusion is the fact that it’s 33 years old! That said, the Synsonics electronic drum story is nothing if not interesting. For a start the unit was made by arguably the world’s largest (and therefore richest) toy company called Mattel - which also created Barbie and Action Man!

The original unit sold for $100 in 1981 (£99 in the UK) and you do see them advertised on eBay in America for considerably less than their original price. Even though it didn’t end-up being a professional item (whatever Mattel planned for it) its sounds were actually quite powerful in a 1980’s, Roland TR 808 sort of way - although neither product’s sounds were even vaguely realistic. But that wasn’t the point, it was a drum kit in a box.

The rectangular drum unit was like a larger than usual effects pedal in a molded plastic box and had five on-board analogue voices, four of which could be triggered from circular rubber pads, sitting proud on top of it, or by one of 18 rubber buttons set below them – two toms, snare and hi hat/cymbal. There were eventually two models available - one called Stereo ‘Pro’ with two built-in speakers.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever