Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
darsparx
Next-Gen

Re: Direct me to the drama please

by darsparx Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:08 pm

I hope that's only directed towards the two of you...I definitely don't see myself as no hipster. I really hope having the odd love for vintage stuff I do doesn't make me one. Especially since I can't stand the stark white designs some modernists apparently love >_<
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:12 pm

miked wrote:Still, when I do stop by it seems like I learn something new just by reading a few posts in the forum, and it kind of boggles my mind why this never gets turned into an article for the front page. Yeah the forum is what you could call active but it seems like this place maybe has 100 people actively posting, and it feels like less every time. With a dead front page it almost feels like this community doesn't want to grow anymore.

It sucks to swing by and see you guys bickering about politics in the world thread. i honestly miss what this site used to be. A positive place to learn and talk about old games. It never came across as big headed, or highly opinionated, but mostly factual. Probably the closest thing i have ever encountered online that felt like true gaming journalism. Whether it be from a viewpoint of nostalgia, or whether you just never stopped playing these games in the first place, you could always learn something new. And remember folks, its not possible to be nostalgic about something you never stopped doing. :D

Personally, I enjoy the banter of the World Thread. Well except when some got personal with name calling. There are great posts there expanding discussion. I must say, this year's election certainly has been involved and active compared to elections of the past. One unique thing about discussing Politics on a Forum is you never get interrupted. Oh and never discuss politics with your Dentist; I did know better on that one. :lol:

Exhuminator wrote:The thing is, I have never cared about the articles, but rather the forum. None of the articles have ever enlightened me personally, as I already knew everything I saw there. But rather, I found the forum discussions about gaming to be a lot more interesting. Because even if I already knew what the people were talking about, I at least got to understand their reasoning for the opinions they held.

So the forum is the important part of this site for me. It's why I come here. I enjoy talking to actual adults about gaming in a mature, informed, and respectful sense. I can't get that in real life, none of the other adults I know IRL (sans one) are into gaming at all. Thus if I want to reminisce about classic vintage gaming with a fellow 30-something year old, Racketboy's forum is ideal. Or if I want an educated opinion on a 1995 JRPG before I take the plunge into it, I can get that here. So it is the body of knowledge and informed community that the retro gaming forum here represents, that I find the biggest and best thing about Racketboy. Honestly I don't care about articles, despite the fact that yes they are well written, and yes they help pay for the site to stay online.

The Hidden Gems Articles many years ago is what got my curiosity thru a Google search. Agree, the heart of Racketboy is the Forum, which also get Google Hits. I posted numerous Guides in the Guides section of the Forum with others adding to it. The Forum is great for unedited points of view and easy update of OP Guides as new things are discovered.

Anapan wrote:I know what attracts hits! It's Cats and Memes! I have a Cat!

But seriously guys, I do need to fix up the wall so it only shows the Plasma - you guys could help fix it.

:lol: Yeah, cats are always a good standby to bring in hits! How many cats do you have in your home? We are up to four; one more for my wife to be certified Crazy Cat Lady. :D

My newest cat, a stray kitten goes nuts pulling the cables off my consoles, I imagine yours have a climbing kick going up that big screen. Instead of the official expensive covers from Best Buy, hit Home Depot. All kinds of wire covers can be made from Plumbing PVC, Door Thresh Hold, Baseboard, Gutter, etc.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

miked
128-bit

by miked Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:24 pm

Exhum:

I would be lying if I tried to claim you and GG are incorrect. Times have certainly changed. I suppose I get most of my retro info via youtube nowadays. Gotta love that tube baby.

Being that I'm just not all that social of a person, the articles do mean a lot to me though. I still use the hidden gems/defining games ones when i get a new console or get into emulating something new. Definitely just different strokes and all that jazz.

Honestly I was surprised to see mjmjr leave. Guy had lots of knowledge and those racket man skits were great. Im sure it was something more than the politics thread that made him quit, but if this place has about 50 members actively posting, how many is it going to have next year?

Even forums seem like a dying thing these days. I wouldn't expect new articles or tapping into social media to suddenly get this place booming with thousands of new members, and I don't think me or anyone else would really want it like that. The community is close, and it should certainly stay that way, but if new content would bring in just a few new peeps it doesn't seem like a bad thing.

For sure though its nice to see y'all patch things up. I would hate to see other knowledgeable, established members leave.

Anyway, I still feel new content would help this place a lot and it certainly couldn't hurt it. Heck I'm even going to try it your way and start posting again. Due to some major life changes I have more time on my hands than I have had in years. Its probably good to get out of my little anti-social bubble too.

Edit: CRT, don't get me wrong I don't think the politics thread should go away or anything. We are people and everyone has opinions on many different topics, but it was certainly getting pretty ugly in there...

I do love the guides you make and have used a few of them, but sometimes they feel a bit too long and jumbled up. Maybe get an index going on or something?
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:02 pm

I wouldn't mind some new articles, myself. At some point, I need to take to some writing again.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:51 pm

miked wrote:I get most of my retro info via youtube nowadays

Yes Youtube is a bastion of video game research potential, once you look beneath its grody veneer of pandering Let's Plays and Unboxing videos. :wink:
miked wrote:Honestly I was surprised to see mjmjr leave.

From what I understand he's a very right wing conservative Christian, and he was routinely upset by the greater number of left wing non-religious liberals that frequent the forum. I'm not 100% on that, just seemed that way from what I saw. If that's the case, then I don't know why he couldn't look past those differences. For example, Sarge is a right wing conservative Christian and he gets along fine with the rest.
miked wrote:but if this place has about 50 members actively posting, how many is it going to have next year?

Depends on the effort that the forum members put into maintaining its health. A steady stream of new threads about interesting topics helps. Lurkers actually registering and posting in discussions helps. Registered members who post rarely choosing to increase their posting frequency helps. Long time rivals looking past their differences and deciding to not fight each other helps. Putting deeper thought into a post, and making it interesting to read as well as beneficial to the discussion helps. ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT VIDEO GAMES HELPS
miked wrote:I'm even going to try it your way and start posting again.

Please do, fresh perspectives and extra personalities are always a boon to any forum.

As for new articles; remember folks I only said they didn't interest me personally. However I don't think I'm in the majority, and new articles may very well stimulate renewed interest in folks joining the Racketboy fold. But more so; I think a healthy, friendly, and knowledgeable forum would do even more to accomplish that goal.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:29 pm

I think forum upkeep is a very important goal, possibly the most important for the good of the site. The thing is getting new people interested to keep the lifeblood going, because in my time here I feel like we've lost more people than we've gained, although that might just be me.

I'd love to get into more retro discussion, but as my thread on emulation supposes, the cost is keeping me out. As soon as I get some emulation set-up done, I'll try my best to jump in and throw down some convo, seeing as I'll need some recommendations on Super-Fami and and Turbografx games.

I still think articles are important though for grabbing attention- since Youtube has been mentioned, has there been any thought put into making videos? I don't think we need anything fancy, seeing as Did You Know Gaming has done so well with still images and stock footage. I think neo-retro is a great place of interest to consider as well. I think our advantage could come in as being (potentially) the go to source for newbie retro-gamers to hop in. Looking at it now, without the help of the forum and articles here, I'd have completely given up on retro and stuck with modern out of spite and lack of interest through ignorance.

And the sub-forums... unless we get activity up, we have that "mega-thread" issue previously mentioned (by dsh, I beleive?). For example, if I want replies and to not lose the thread to the wind, I better off posting in the "How is your PS1 gaming going" or "Random Gaming thoughts" thread than I am creating a new thread to talk about Harvest Moon: Back to Nature.

Just a random jumble of thoughts from a very tired student trying to think of something useful.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Hmmm, I guess I registered on the forum in April 2009, which predates some of the Survival Horror articles, but I thought for sure that's how I stumbled upon RB in the first place. Guess I'm not sure anymore, but it was definitely one of the articles. Easy to say the internet was still pretty different just merely 5+ years ago though.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Since the subject has come up, I joined because of the forums.

It was a direct reference in fact, from applequeso, that brought my attention here. And I spent a few hours that night browsing through topics and enjoying all the discussion before I signed up.

I read the articles some time later, and I've always enjoyed them, but the forum is where it's at for me.

I really need to start posting again.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:51 pm

I miss AppleQueso. :(
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
CFFJR
Next-Gen

by CFFJR Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:55 pm

Yeah, I do too.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever