Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

by Ack Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:18 am

Yeah, Sisters is likable for a lot of reasons, but it falls far short of greatness. I thought it was an ok watch.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:29 pm

AND I’M BACK! Work and life got a little crazy, and I just caught up on 7 pages of this thread. Man this thread is awesome this year. More terrible movies than I remember in the past. A few thoughts before my recent adds. I will be watching some movies this weekend but still squeezing in horror via podcast, streaming, & a novel.

I actually watched Troll 2 in the early 90s as a kid. My aunt who I’ve mentioned several times in this thread let me watch it. Out of everything, what I remember is the tree growing out of his fingers. This scared me more than the trolls! :lol:

Did anyone else watch 2009 remake/boot of Night of the Demons? I actually like this one! It was really over the top but it worked for me. Also… there was nudity in the red band trailer. Seriously… !? Never seen this. Entire movie was on YouTube in 2010 when I was hunting it.

Recent Spooks:
Geeze… nuclear fall out scares the crap out of me. This was a cool episode dealing with the fear of the end of the world. While not their standard take on horror… it definitely had me in their shoes and a bit freaked out. I’ve been through 2 hurricanes unfortunately (directly in them, didn’t have power for 3 week once and had to help the state troopers chainsaw our way back into the town through downed trees!) so natural disasters trip me out a bit.

The No Sleep Podcast: The Nuclear Incident on Bumblebee Lane

Okay, this first video is interesting. I had no idea Chuckie was inspired by a real doll.
5 Horror Movies Inspired by True Terrifying Events (YouTube)

This one is okay.
5 Strange & Mysterious Videos That Need Explaining (YouTube)

Alright… I bit on this thinking it was too click bait for me & was entertained. Creepypastas are interesting to me. It’s essentially internet folklore... a digital campfire story. Is there any truth in origins of this one? Who knows… but a fun watch.
The Rake | The Scariest & Most Mysterious Creepypasta Monster | Documentary (YouTube)

Reading this one now: DOOM Knee Deep in the Dead

About halfway through. I’m going to wait until I’m finished to leave my thoughts. I’m a big DOOM fan so I can’t decide if it’s making too critical overal or causing me to like certain parts more than I probably should!

2016 Month of Horror so Far:
Podcast - Count: 16
• Stuff They Don't Want You To Know: The Secret World of Psychopaths
• The No Sleep Podcast: Borrasca
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Woman Made of Glass
• The No Sleep Podcast: Dead Arm
• The No Sleep Podcast: Sisters in the Snow
• The No Sleep Podcast: You Are What You Eat
• The No Sleep Podcast: My Little Sister
• The No Sleep Podcast: Stories for My Daughter
• The No Sleep Podcast: The House in the Field
• The No Sleep Podcast: How Many Fairies
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Tall Man of Briarbell, Missouri
• The No Sleep Podcast: We Were Soap
• The No Sleep Podcast: An Open Letter to Reality Three
• The No Sleep Podcast: A Taste Worth Savoring
• The No Sleep Podcast: Neither Here Nor There
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Nuclear Incident on Bumblebee Lane

TV/Streaming - Count: 11
5 Creepiest & Most Huanted Locations in World (YouTube)
5 Terrifying Ouija Board Experiences & Gone Wrong Stories (YouTube)
5 Incredibly Creepy & Chilling Paranormal Photos (YouTube)
5 Terrifying & Convincing Videos of Ghosts Caught On CCTV Cameras (YouTube)
5 Darkest & Most Sinister Haunted Hospitals in The World (YouTube)
The Mysterious Stardust Ranch | Aliens, UFOs & Paranormal Activity | Documentary (YouTube)
5 Horror Movies Inspired by True Terrifying Events (YouTube)
5 Strange & Mysterious Videos That Need Explaining (YouTube)
The Rake | The Scariest & Most Mysterious Creepypasta Monster | Documentary (YouTube)
• Halloween Wars S6 E1
• Halloween Wars S6 E2

Movies - Count: 3
• Backcountry

• Scream (re-watch)

• Alien 3

Novel: 1
• DOOM Knee Deep in the Dead
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:39 pm

Jagosaurus wrote:Did anyone else watch 2009 remake/boot of Night of the Demons? I actually like this one! It was really over the top but it worked for me. Also… there was nudity in the red band trailer. Seriously… !? Never seen this. Entire movie was on YouTube in 2010 when I was hunting it.

yup! And I agree - it was actually a lot of fun. I thought they did a great job with it, and remember the original is a favorite of mine. I notice a lot of folks seem to dislike Shannon Elizabeth by the way. I don't.
Ack

by Ack Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey Jagosaurus, if nuclear war movies are something you're into, check out The Day After. It's a made-for-TV movie that goes into graphic display on what would happen in the wake of a nuclear strike on America.

I also admit that I have read those Doom books. The first one follows the level design so closely that I recall actually learning a few new things about the game as a result.

29. Monster in the Closet

Thank God for Troma.

Monster in the Closet is a spoof on 1950s monster movies and their extreme straight laced paranoia. A monster comes out of closets and attacks residents in a small California community a little north of San Francisco. A young man who desperately wants to become a journalist gets the story as a prank from an office rival and goes up to investigate, where he meets a pair of biology professors, the town priest, a little boy, and a constantly spitting sheriff. Soon the monster is revealed, the military arrives, and they quickly find all of their weapons are useless. It comes down to the astonishingly handsome journalist, the attractive blond professor, and the little boy to overcome the monster...and they fail too. Despite this, the film has a happy ending once people realize all they have to do to defeat the monster is destroy their closets!

Yes, it's stupid...though it's also very good in parodying much of 1950s film. It was obviously made by someone who knew the types of movies he was aping, and Monster in the Closet comes replete with numerous send ups, references, and homages to classic horror films as well as serial series and comic books. For example, there is a five minute parody of the infamous Psycho shower scene. The lead journalist is a bespectacled everyman named Richard Clark of the Daily Globe in a very subtle Superman reference. Hell, the movie ends with "'Twas beauty killed the beast" right out of King Kong. There are also quite a few stars of the 1940s, '50s, and '60s, including John Carradine, Claude Akins, Henry Gibson, Howard Duff, and Donald Moffatt.

Overall I thought the movie was delightful. It's not something I'd consider the best ever, but it does what it does, and it does it well. It's consistently entertaining, though it doesn't exactly inspire fear. While I never really found it laugh out loud funny, it has enough humor to keep things interesting. I appreciated the monster design(particularly once I discovered it was Kevin Peter Hall in the suit) and had a good time. That's about all I could ask for.

Also the kid in this movie nicknamed "Professor" was actually a very young Paul Walker in his first role. This was also the first film role for singer Fergie of The Black Eyed Peas, though she already had some experience doing voice acting and television work.

29/31

1. Late Phases
2. Ghoulies
3. Nightbeast
4. Tombs of the Blind Dead
5. Return of the Blind Dead
6. The Ghost Galleon
7. Night of the Seagulls
8. Chopping Mall
9. Bad Moon
10. C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D.
11. Dead Heat
12. Varan the Unbelievable
13. The Milpitas Monster
14. Shock
15. Kingdom of the Spiders
16. Ghoulies II
17. Waxwork
18. The Curse of the Werewolf
19. Island of Lost Souls
20. Child's Play
21. Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders
22. Jack Frost
23. Howling II: Your Sister is a Werewolf
24. 976-EVIL II
25. Zoltan, Hound of Dracula
26. Ghoulies III: Ghoulies Go to College
27. Uninvited
28. Troll 2
29. Monster in the Closet
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:08 pm

@ Noise, yeah I was pleasantly surprised by that remake.

Good time for me to comment on Rob Zombie Halloween remakes you guys touched on earlier. First... there's Danielle Harris. +1 out of the gate!

I really dig the first film. It does everything very well. Agree with the comment it's almost a prequel is some regards. The psychiatrist character really adds to the story to me.

For those who don't know, Danielle Harris was the little girl (young Jamie) in Halloween 4 & 5. VERY cool she is in these. In addition to being eye candy, she does a great job.

The second film is a bit too artsy for me. The PSTD angle & focusing on the camaraderie between survivors was original. I'll give it that. Worth a watch, but not as good as the first.

@Ack, wow it is the highest viewed TV film in history & I've never heard of it. Will look into it more!

Hm, didn't know Paul Walker was in that one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:55 pm

Danielle Harris rules.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:58 pm

Apparently she's the young girl in Halloween 4? haha...

Not sure how I feel about approaching those Rob Halloween movies. I mean, I guess the fact that they're probably way different might be appealing. But yeah, not sure I'm that interested.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:56 pm

The early complaints in this thread of Michael not bring scary and the tone being a bit dull are definitely addressed. Zombie steps it up with his level of shock factor & gore. Much to my surprise, there's much more back story added.

I think the changed direction turned off some purist of the series. It was a welcome make over to me. It isn't as intense as 1,000 Corpses but it is much darker than the original. I watched Halloween when I was 11 or so for the first time & it didn't scare me. This however, would have. I'd advise checking it out.

Watch the Zombie Halloween 2 once IMO. It merits one viewing because it's unique. Not my favorite & I see why some hated it but I appreciate it in some weird way although it's not my style. The opening scene really kicks off quick. That also stands out.

Edit: I was home from work, running a fairly high fever when I first saw Zombie Halloween 2. There are some trippy dream & PSTN scenens. Mixed with fever driven loopiness & much needed rest... man, I had some weird dreams after :lol:
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:14 pm

i watched a movie on Amazon called KILLER NERD
when the TROMA distribution title card came up i should have known
it was terrible
the end
Ack

by Ack Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:52 pm

GENTLEMEN! IT IS FINISHED. 31 HORROR MOVIES IN 31 DAYS.

I will do write ups for the final two movies tomorrow, including one I watched in honor of Michi. But for now, the marathon concludes.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever