Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Ack

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

by Ack Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:43 am

noiseredux wrote:
Michi wrote:A lot of things about that movie still make me cringe.

But blissfully it all has to do with things that are supposed to make me cringe and not something technical, so yay-rah for that.

Bathroom scene and Mia's hand for me. Nuff said.

Syringes and "Why does my face hurt" lady for me.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:04 pm

THEY LIVE

I finally saw this John Carpenter classic for the first time. I love the premise of this movie that a special pair of sunglasses helps the main character to see the subliminal messages constantly pumped into his head. I had seen some of the iconic OBEY CONSUME imagery before, along with the bug-eyed creatures, but it was good to finally see it in its proper context. I didn't know it was going to star Roddy Piper (RIP) or that Keith David would be in it. I was like "Oh my god! It's the guy from Community's last season!" He was a pretty buff dude in his younger years. Keith David's acting was alright, but Roddy Piper. Oh man. He's either mellow or screaming and nothing in between. It was pretty bad, but as a Wrestlemania kid of the '80s and knowing he recently died, it was still kind of a treat to see him in this anyway. I really enjoyed the film, mostly for the concept and the imagery when the world is seen through the sunglasses. This is one film though, that I think could benefit from a reboot.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Ack

by Ack Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:51 pm

Having seen five movies starring Roddy Piper, I promise you, he never changed. It doesn't matter how bad the movie is, he always entertains.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:40 pm

I love They Live and would heartily support a remake. Keith David should still be in there somewhere too, he's awesome.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:34 pm

I didn't post this but a few nights ago I watched Scream 2. Figured I would follow up with the series sequel. Its actually better than I remembered. I dont intend to follow up with Scream 3, instead i'm going to watch The Exorcist within the next few days. My wife has never seen it and its my favorite horror film, so its time to educate.

An American Werewolf In London - New to me
Re-Animator - New to me
Scream - Rewatch
Scream 2 - Rewatch
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:04 pm

Nice to hear on Scream 2. I'll get to it!

But Dawn of the Dead is next for me. Still not sure how I feel about zombie movies, but I really love the apocalyptic or survival scenarios. Night of the Living Dead was awesome so I'll probably hit up the main Romero stuff before branching out. Other than that, I guess I've only really seen the 28 Days Later movies and don't remember caring for them much. Shaun of the Dead was fun.

Might be sacrilege to you guys, but... I didn't really care for The Exorcist. The bed possessed scenes were awesome though.
Michi
Next-Gen

by Michi Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:39 pm

Last night I watched:
Ack wrote:Image

Having done so, I must concur with Ack's assessment. It was most definitely good for a laugh. Of course, I found out during the opening credits that it was a Troma movie, so it makes sense that I was still able to find it terribly amusing despite its rancid badness.

A couple of thoughts:

I like how when people are killed by the gun they leave a cartoonish outline of human-shaped ash on the ground in their wake.

Ack made no mention of the fabulous 70's hair. There is much fabulous 70's hair. This film was made in the 80's.

I'm not sure if the monster is supposed to be a bullet sponge, or if the blindingly shiny disco suit is in some way bulletproof.

Why is the sheriff involving civilians? Shouldn't he be trying to do the opposite?

Half the men in this film sport marvelous mustaches.

I'm not sure what the point of the biker subplot is, other than to showcase that even the smallest of towns has at least one smelly, irredeemable asshole that deserves to be eaten.

That basement is far too small for the monster not to hear what's going on.

Cottage cheese on a hot dog is an apt comparison.

That portrait of a woman in the mayor's house is actually very nice. It's too good for this film. It deserves better than this film.

Given the level of intoxication of the mayor and his assistant (?), my first thought was that "if the monster eats the two of them, he's going to get drunk off his gourd." This did not happen. *sad face*

The smelly, irredeemable asshole was not eaten. I am disappoint.

Again, why is the sheriff letting the civilians out and about with loaded weapons? I kept expecting one of them to shoot the other.

They're really milking this 'blindly walking around in the dark' scene.

Jamie is an idiot.

So yeah, pretty entertaining in a ridiculous sort of way. Amazon actually has a lot of Troma movies up for free streaming. May I suggest to anyone who is interested: Monster in the Closet. Also full of decent effects, poor acting and with the added benefit of cheesy, intentional (and sometimes unintentional) humor.

Also, I just noticed that Prime has added Rifftrax Live: Manos the Hands of Fate to their lineup. I'll have to keep that in mind for later.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:52 pm

Xeogred wrote:Nice to hear on Scream 2. I'll get to it!

But Dawn of the Dead is next for me. Still not sure how I feel about zombie movies, but I really love the apocalyptic or survival scenarios. Night of the Living Dead was awesome so I'll probably hit up the main Romero stuff before branching out. Other than that, I guess I've only really seen the 28 Days Later movies and don't remember caring for them much. Shaun of the Dead was fun.

Might be sacrilege to you guys, but... I didn't really care for The Exorcist. The bed possessed scenes were awesome though.

Romero's first trilogy of zombie films are all classics. Zombies are far and away my favorite horror movie monster. I'd recommend, after the Romero trilogy, Return of the Living Dead and Dead Alive.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:07 pm

We've been watching Buffy (the show) lately so thought we'd pop this in. I LOVED this movie as a kid. Watched it a million times. Now it pales in comparison w/ the TV show, but it is still a lot of fun. Weird seeing the likes of Ben Affleck in a tiny role haha. So 90's though. I really do enjoy this... but, ultimately the problem is the Buffy character is just not as deep nor compelling as in the show. It's like a germ of an idea - that Joss Whedon himself seems to lament as well.

I've read that there's a Buffy comic called Origin based off his original screenplay that I'd really like to read.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

by Nemoide Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:16 pm

strangenova wrote:Romero's first trilogy of zombie films are all classics. Zombies are far and away my favorite horror movie monster. I'd recommend, after the Romero trilogy, Return of the Living Dead and Dead Alive.

I'd personally add Land of the Dead as a worthy addition to Romero's "trilogy." But even I can't recommend Diary of the Dead or Survival of the Dead...

Tonight's horror media was an extremely strange movie called The Baby. I got it on blu-ray thanks to Severin Films having a "we're about to lose the license" sale on this along with four other movies. I'm planning on watching them in order of least-personally interesting to most and The Baby certainly sounds like something I'd never buy on my own.
The premise is that a social worker signs on to investigate the case of "Baby" a full-grown man treated like an infant by his mother and half-sisters. It's revealed that Baby is developmentally normal and is given negative reinforcement (via a cattle prod) whenever he shows signs of walking, talking, standing, or otherwise acting in any way older than a baby. There's all kinds of weird sexual subtext (or text-text in a couple cases) and the final act takes a turn for the demented as the movie suddenly gains a body-count and has an ending that I can really only think of as twisted and perverse. If not for those murders at the end, I wouldn't consider this the kind of horror movie that fits with Halloween but... it comes together as a certain kind of nutzoid horror.

The only movie I can think to compare this to is Spider Baby but without the comedic elements. Even so, this movie defies comparison. It just goes to WEIRD places and ends up being TOTALLY INSANE. This movie is a special kind of strange. The kind of strange I associate with horror film festivals. I'm glad I saw it! I might use audio clips as samples in music if/when I start making more electronic music. I also might just put the disc on eBay if it becomes a rarity. In the meantime, I'm just pleased to have another ultra-bizarro movie in my collection.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever