The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Post by noiseredux »

Sleep/hibernation is how I took it, yeah.

I also want to note - as one of the few people who loved Prometheus - that I enjoyed it even more in hindsight having watched Alien again and having both fresh in my mind.

Also, I think if I really had to choose I'd rank Alien over Aliens. I'm pretty mostly sure.

Also also, I'd like to say that face-huggers probably scare me more than Xenomorphs.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah I like Alien more. But Aliens is one of my top favorites as well. The Alien Queen is insanely awesome and it's cool how Cameron came up with the design himself, I believe. I've at least seem some drafts he drew up and Giger gave him his blessings I think. I wonder if Ridley Scott has ever chimed in on the Queen? I know there's that infamous deleted scene in Alien where you see Ripley burn a bunch of eggs showcasing that the Alien was asexual or something in one concept. But the Queen design is so awesome, I like to imagine that's the canon.

My favorite delete scene is probably the one where they get some radio transmissions. The sound effect is so damn creepy and awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_VnoLyrfdY

Do you guys know of the alternate musical scores for Alien? I think it supposedly has some different cut out there, maybe it was theatrical only. Or I'm just confused and that there's just not a complete release of the OST.

http://www.alesserfate.com/2014/04/rema ... ginal.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(soundtrack)

Jagosaurus wrote:Alien is such a great movie. I owned the VHS & then rented it on Google Play last year. The cleaned up version in widescreen HD is amazing. I managed to get a DRM free HD mp4 copy recently (thanks to make mkv) & it's one I'll always have on my HDD & revisit. I own the collector's edition BR of Blade Runner (prefer the theatrical cut). Yeah, Scott nailed these movies. Visuals... hell, everything hold up! Crazy to think they're '79 & '82 respectively.

Kind of funny but despite Blade Runner being my favorite movie, I've only been watching the 2007 Final Cut. I can't recall what I originally saw before that version, but I think it was some director's cut. I think the theatrical cut has always sounded good though from what I've heard. But the narrated version sounds... haunting, in a bad way. It's like I just don't know if I can bring myself to watch a weird potentially tainted version of my all time favorite movie, but the curiosity is always there. I own the 5 disc BD set so I should try out the other versions sometime.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

The face huggers are way worse to me also.

I'd put Alien over Aliens. I do think you're not going to beat the atmosphere of Alien so they handled Aliens perfect, make it a completely different tone. Great in its own right.

I've never watched the deleted scenes from Aliens. IIRC I read there's one that completely changes the "cycle" of how a xeno is created. Speaking of that cycle, I loved Prometheus as well but geeze that gets kind of convoluted as far as the cycle to create a xeno. I remember googling all the theories & it just made it more confusing lol.

I am a bit obsessed with space and the possibility of life out there so I loved the take on engineers. Overall, a very solid movie I rank over Alien 3 & 4.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

ALIEN > ALIENS
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I love you guys and this thread so much right now. :lol:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The original is the best in the series. My three-year-old was even begging to watch it yesterday.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Whatever, dudes. Game over, man. Game over.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I had a busy weekend.

8. Chopping Mall

You know what I like? Horror movies with capable protagonists. That is what I love about Chopping Mall. Eight teenagers get trapped in the mall with a trio of killer security robots. What do they do? They stock up on firearms, use propane tanks to improvise booby traps, and turn gasoline containers into makeshift firebombs. They try to figure out how to get around the robots to escape or shut them down. They set up traps to trick the robots and survive. Yes, they occasionally let their emotions get the better of them, and many of them get killed as a result, but they're not morons. I found them worth rooting for.

Chopping Mall is not a perfect movie at all. There are a lot of weird oddities to it, like why the killer robots suddenly have laser cannons and why nobody thought that maybe lightning could mess with the transformer which they stuck on the roof. But it's an entertaining romp through the mall, it knows exactly what kind of movie it is, and it has fun with honoring some B-film greats in the nasty pizza restaurant. I had a blast watching it.

9. Bad Moon

Unfortunately the same can not be said for this werewolf movie from Eric Red, writer of such greats as The Hitcher and Near Dark. In this film, a journalist named Ted in Nepal runs afoul of a giant wolfman, which murders his girlfriend and claws him up in the midst of the movie's sole sex scene. Ted returns to the US and then moves to his sister's place after a few months. However his sister has a dog named Thor who immediately knows that something is amiss.

This results in a feud between the werewolf and the German Shepherd, which sounds good on paper but doesn't work in execution because I don't believe a 100-pound vicious dog can so easily take a 300-pound vicious werewolf which has been shown to pick people up with one hand and toss them around like rag dolls. And while the practical effects for ripped flesh and werewolf jaws are quite good, this movie unfortunately suffers from mid-90s CG effects, leading to one of the worst transformations I can think of.

Also note, the main antagonist Ted's motivations feel a bit weird. Sometimes he seems like he doesn't want to hurt people and wants to solve his problems. Then he goes full homicidal on his own family because...what? Because love doesn't stop him from being a werewolf? Ugh.

Nice dog though.

10. C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D.

Ah, comedy horror. This movie is terrible, but it's ridiculously, hilariously terrible. I love CHUD 2. I know I have bad taste. I don't care. CHUD 2 is hilariously awful and awfully hilarious. It's incredibly stupid, it knows it, and it runs with it. Laugh at the CHUDs behavior. Thrill to its theme song(not as good as Are You Ready for Freddy, but it's up there). Have a blast with Robert Vaughn in my second favorite of his movie roles. Sure, it doesn't beat Pootie Tang, but nothing beats Pootie Tang. Pootie Tang is a modern American masterpiece. Suck it, Citizen Kane.

Basically a couple of teens lose a cadaver for a biology class, so they sneak into a hospital and steal a top secret military bio-weapon, a CHUD named Bud. Bud wakes up in a bathtub after getting electrocuted with a hair dryer, and suddenly the teens think they're onto Weird Science. Unfortunately for them Bud is a bit more interested in eating brains, converting the townsfolk into his brethren, and falling in love. This leads to marvelous moments such as a CHUD poodle mauling a postman, awful CHUD dance moves, and even a subtle guest appearance by Robert Englund. Also one scared little girl who thinks she is having a nightmare, and an ending that would make Joe Dante weep with joy for how much everyone loves the movie Gremlins.

God bless you, CHUD 2, you glorious piece of trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYmjf7-S1eE

10/31

1. Late Phases
2. Ghoulies
3. Nightbeast
4. Tombs of the Blind Dead
5. Return of the Blind Dead
6. The Ghost Galleon
7. Night of the Seagulls
8. Chopping Mall
9. Bad Moon
10. C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D.
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Maybe this is the wrong place for this but I'd like to get some recommendations for fun / scarey movies for kids (girls) ages 6 to 8. Basically nothing gory or too realistic. Psychological fears ok I guess. I want my kids to get scared and scream but don't want to fuck up their childhoods.

Right now their threshold for scariness is about Goosebumps and Scooby Doo.

Anyone have any classics for me to consider? Is Goonies a good Halloween movie? Little Shop of Horrors?
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

chupon wrote:Maybe this is the wrong place for this but I'd like to get some recommendations for fun / scarey movies for kids (girls) ages 6 to 8. Basically nothing gory or too realistic. Psychological fears ok I guess. I want my kids to get scared and scream but don't want to fuck up their childhoods.

Right now their threshold for scariness is about Goosebumps and Scooby Doo.

Anyone have any classics for me to consider? Is Goonies a good Halloween movie? Little Shop of Horrors?

Coraline is a really good movie, have you seen that one? Written by Neil Gaiman and directed by Henry Selick, the guy behind The Nightmare Before Christmas.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.