The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Post by Michi »

Nemoide wrote:The Baby

Ah yes. What a wonderfully bizarre film. I caught it on TCM quite a while ago and did a write-up on it. Weird premise, but ultimately very disturbing. I recently picked up a horror pack collection at the thrift store that included the film with five other cult classics. Eventually I'm going to have to give it another watch. Creepy stuff.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Scream

I've already commented on renting the VHS. I obviously have some nostalgia for this one. I want to emphasize how big this movie was when it came out. I remember all of my older sister's friends talking about it. I was a bit young for the target audience but got into it after she told my parents to just let me watch it :)

I've heard "hardcore" horror fans rip this movie, but I think it's great. Those genre snobs need to remember Scream helped revitalize the genre!

Overall, I really enjoy this one. I catch something new every time. Wes Craven nails it.

2016 Month of Horror so Far:
Podcast - Count: 9
• Stuff They Don't Want You To Know: The Secret World of Psychopaths
• The No Sleep Podcast: Borrasca
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Woman Made of Glass
• The No Sleep Podcast: Dead Arm
• The No Sleep Podcast: Sisters in the Snow
• The No Sleep Podcast: You Are What You Eat
• The No Sleep Podcast: My Little Sister
• The No Sleep Podcast: Stories for My Daughter
• The No Sleep Podcast: The House in the Field

TV/Streaming - Count: 3
5 Creepiest & Most Huanted Locations in World
5 Terrifying Ouija Board Experiences & Gone Wrong Stories
5 Incredibly Creepy & Chilling Paranormal Photos

Movies - Count: 2
• Backcountry

• Scream (re-watch)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Scream is in my top tier perfect movies. I like to think I'm in the "hardcore" horror fan audience. It fucking rules. I've seen it soooo many times and I never tire of it.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

SCREAM just gets the whole meta thing sooo right.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

IIRC someone was watching Scream for the first time so obvious 20 year old spoilers below :)

I never caught the reference to The Town that Dreaded Sundown when they talk about the town curfew. I watched that reboot last year so guess that's why I realized what they were talking about.

I never caught Drew Barrymore mentioning only the first Nightmare of Elm St was good & the others sucked. Craven only directed the first & New Nightmare, right? That's funny.

As always, the scene following Stu getting stabbed is hilarious. "I think I'm dying here man... You hit me with the phone you dick" :D cracks me up every time.

Also, anyone notice Drew Barrymore, Sidney, & Stu all live I borderline mansions? Geeze, those houses are huge. Economy is good Woodsboro.

EllertMichael
Next-Gen

Post by EllertMichael »

http://lotdg.blogspot.com/

The Land of the DoughyGuy has started his annual Halloween marathon that you can stream with VLC. 1st week is packed full of awesome 80's slasher flicks
If you have the homebrew channel on your Wii you can stream it through ShoutcastTV with the WiiMC app
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I had the day off which meant I could watch TWO spooky movies *and* read a horror comic with time enough to spare for other things!

First movie - Teen Wolf:
I love werewolves, I was a fan of the 80s cartoon adaptation of this as a small child, and I've known about this movie for well over a decade but somehow NEVER SAW IT BEFORE TODAY. Well, I'm definitely not inspired to watch Teen Wolf Too after seeing this. I didn't like it! What I want from my werewolves is at least some sort of bestial quality: a metaphor for socially unacceptable desires, a hunger for sex and/or violence, and a human character who is to some degree tormented by their guilt of being the monster that they are.
This movie has none of that. Instead the werewolf is, for some reason, SUPER POPULAR and once Michael J. Fox's character transforms, they're instantly the most popular kid in school? I guess they try to show there violent side of werewolves in one scene in which the Teen Wolf tears off a guy's shirt at a dance... but since that guy sucker-punched him immediately beforehand, his response doesn't seem especially frightening.
Some of the comedy in the movie works: I like how the basketball coach is profoundly useless. But mostly it's a lot more teen comedy than anything horror inspired. Oh well, I'm glad I can cross it off my list.

After that I watched Bloody Birthday! This was definitely better than I expected. It's a "killer kids" movie and even though it's not as classy as The Omen or Village of the Damned it's pretty good for what it is, which is more of a slasher-film. Even though this film was released in the 80s, I got a pretty strong 1970s vibe. The story is pretty bare bones: three babies are born during a solar eclipse and I guess because of that they're evil. So they start killing people because their birthday is coming up and they want to kill people? There's not much of a motivation, but with kids as the killer, it makes for a more interesting slasher than typical "homicidal maniac" fare and it's especially engaging to see how they both commit and get away with their crimes. The male gaze is alive and well in this movie: there are multiple scenes in which boys peep on naked ladies. Boobs are always a plus!

Finally a comic book: Berni Wrightson: Master of the Macabre #1
I know a little bit about Wrightson: his illustrated version of Frankenstein, the sequel comic Frankenstein, Alive, Alive, and the Dark Horse mini-series City of Others. I knew his reputation from old Warren Publishing horror comics (I know they had Creepy and Eerie... maybe others? And Vampirella?), but I've never read any of those. And that last point is important because this is just a color reprint of stories from Warren stories! These are some quality horror tales! The first one's a loose adaptation of Frankenstein, followed by an awesome story about a man hunting for a lake-monster, and an adaptation of Edgar Allen Poe's "The Black Cat."
Let me tell you, these are definitely all high-quality horror comics! They blow away the Marvel and DC horror stories from that era that I'm familiar with. Now I'm inspired to look into getting some reprints of Creepy and Eerie! I know Richard Corben did work for them too and I love his stuff as well.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

watched Child's Play while decorating over the weekend. Seen it enough times to not pay full attention. That kid is still annoying.

The first Alien is still amazing. Still makes me jump. OMG.

A Kevin Williamson movie I never saw. Fun... basically The Thing in a high school.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Bluray Alien is such a treat. Looks better than modern films. Same with Blade Runner.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Teenwolf... ah the basketball scene is what I remember most. Even as a kiddo I never really liked this one.

The Child's Play director was just the guest judge of Halloween Wars on Food Network. This one scared the mess out of me as a kid!

Alien is such a great movie. I owned the VHS & then rented it on Google Play last year. The cleaned up version in widescreen HD is amazing. I managed to get a DRM free HD mp4 copy recently (thanks to make mkv) & it's one I'll always have on my HDD & revisit. I own the collector's edition BR of Blade Runner (prefer the theatrical cut). Yeah, Scott nailed these movies. Visuals... hell, everything hold up! Crazy to think they're '79 & '82 respectively.

Question & spoiler about Alien:
I never really understood why the xenomorph seems lethargic in the last scene on the satellite pod ship? It's bad A all movie, then gets groggy after a nap? Hibernating perhaps? How do you guys interpret that scene?

The Faculty... Not sure why but I dig this one. Maybe because it's a Sci fi horror team scream movie with Usher and Fast & Furious Mia? Interesting and memorable. Nice reference to The Thing.