The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well Top5s is continuing to put out awesomely creepy videos this months and I continue to watch! The CCTV one footage is great. The ghost cab rider gave me chills. :shock:

5 Terrifying & Convincing Videos of Ghosts Caught On CCTV Cameras

5 Darkest & Most Sinister Haunted Hospitals in The World

Halloween Wars S6 E1
And the guest judge was...

Halloween Wars S6 E2
And the guest judge was...

For those of you who don;t know, this is a "cook off" type show with a pumpkin artist, a sugar artist, and baker on each team. There's a judge from the horror world in some fashion and they eliminate a team each week. Here some examples of their work:

Now that's a pumpkin carving :shock:

2016 Month of Horror so Far:
Podcast - Count: 9
• Stuff They Don't Want You To Know: The Secret World of Psychopaths
• The No Sleep Podcast: Borrasca
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Woman Made of Glass
• The No Sleep Podcast: Dead Arm
• The No Sleep Podcast: Sisters in the Snow
• The No Sleep Podcast: You Are What You Eat
• The No Sleep Podcast: My Little Sister
• The No Sleep Podcast: Stories for My Daughter
• The No Sleep Podcast: The House in the Field

TV/Streaming - Count: 7
5 Creepiest & Most Huanted Locations in World (YouTube)
5 Terrifying Ouija Board Experiences & Gone Wrong Stories (YouTube)
5 Incredibly Creepy & Chilling Paranormal Photos (YouTube)
5 Terrifying & Convincing Videos of Ghosts Caught On CCTV Cameras (YouTube)
5 Darkest & Most Sinister Haunted Hospitals in The World (YouTube)
• Halloween Wars S6 E1
• Halloween Wars S6 E2

Movies - Count: 2
• Backcountry

• Scream (re-watch)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ack

Post by Ack »

The Exorcist is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen. I found it absolutely hilarious and laughed the whole time I watched it. I still need to get around to seeing Cruising at some point.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Michi wrote:I know prfsnl_gmr was going to watch this this year, so I'll stick this behind a spoiler tag.

You remembered! Thank you! (I have it on my pile of horror movies, but I still haven't watched it yet.)

strangenova wrote:Watched The Exorcist last night, still my favorite scary movie. I believe it's the psychological assault that gets to me. Werewolves, serial murderers and zombies are all things you can fight against...possession is not.

You should watch Oculus (2013). It's a pretty great horror film, and I still haven't figured out a way that the protagonists could have avoided their fates.

I haven't been able to post as much this year, but I am still on the Horror Express! Recently, I watched:

Shutter Island (2010) employees a lot of film noir conventions, and it is only barely a horror film. The subject matter (a U.S. Marshal investigating a woman's disappearance at an isolated and mysterious hospital for the criminally insane), the sound editing, and the frequent use of horror conventions push it over the edge, however. Moreover, the film is incredibly well-acted and each shot is beautifully constructed, alternating between imagery reminiscent of a mid-century postcard and the bent perspectives of gothic horror film (or a game in the Resident Evil franchise). I highly recommend it, but you should not go into it expecting an unadulterated horror film experience. (You should, however, expect another great Martin Scorsese film.)

The Conjuring (2013) is a paint-by-numbers haunted house film that does nothing new but everything right. Accordingly, it does not quite reach the heights of the best films in the genre, but it is nonetheless an incredibly well constructed horror film that is easy to recommend to anyone looking for a fun, seasonal movie.

The Invitation (2015) is a delightful slow burner about a man attending a dinner party with his ex-wife, her new husband, his new girlfriend, some old friends, and...some other people. The hosts are serving excellent wine, but the party get progressively uncomfortable and progressively strange. The first hour moves very, very slowly, and I was questioning whether it was even a horror movie. The last 30 minutes erased all doubts from my mind, however, and I ended up thoroughly enjoying this excellent film. (I also appreciated its unexpectedly realistic ending.) It is currently streaming on Netflix, and I highly recommend it.

prfsnl_gmr's 2016 List of Unspeakable Horrors!

Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Ack wrote:The Exorcist is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen. I found it absolutely hilarious and laughed the whole time I watched it.

...what was funny to you? Or am I missing some joke somewhere?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I second Oculus. I was pleasantly surprised by that one.
Ack

Post by Ack »

strangenova wrote:
Ack wrote:The Exorcist is one of the funniest comedies I have ever seen. I found it absolutely hilarious and laughed the whole time I watched it.

...what was funny to you? Or am I missing some joke somewhere?

Satan's antics. The scenes with hardcore possessed Reagan shouting "Fuck me, Jesus" while thrusting at herself with a crucifix, spidercrawling down the stairs, pissing on the carpet after insulting an astronaut, and vomiting green soup while hurling insults, all while grinning the whole time...stuff of dark comedy gold.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

noiseredux wrote:I second Oculus. I was pleasantly surprised by that one.

Oculus and The Invitation are both good.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Ack wrote:...stuff of dark comedy gold.

:lol:

Yeah...My wife and I noted stuff like that during The Conjuring. We kept asking, "Why did the ghost do that scary but completely unnecessary thing?" The answer was inevitably, "Just to f*ck with 'em!"

EDIT: Also, Jagosaurus, I love your varied approach to the thread this year. Keep it up!
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

I love The Exorcist and saw it in the theater with William Friedkin giving a talk afterwards a couple years ago. That's how I knew about the connection to Cruising.

Here's an impressive NES rendition of the Exorcist theme:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... XSCexs2TqY
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
EDIT: Also, Jagosaurus, I love your varied approach to the thread this year. Keep it up!

I think we all knew it'd be interesting when I started off discussing a killer bear movie...
:lol:

I commute to work so the podcast are a good way to sneak in some horror during drive time. Mrs. Jagosaurus isn't big on scary movies but can handle creepy in short burst so she does like those YT vids by Top5s. It's a good way to get her in the Halloween spirit.

This is my 6th year watching Halloween Wars. It's a fun, family friendly show that will still get you in the Halloween mood. I posted an image earlier of just the pumpkin zombie but here is the entire piece. The vampire is made of cake. One of my favorites. Rob Zombie was the guest judge for this episode.

__

Hm, Invitation looks like it might be up my alley. Thanks.

The Exorcist chip tunes are great!

I dig Scream 2. Not that 1 is extremely serious, but 2 and 3 definitely have a lighter tone to me as well. 4 brings it back closer to 1.

Did anyone else enjoy the Scream TV show? Sure, it wasn't amazing or as clever as the movies, but I thought it was entertaining and I was surprised at the level of gore for a MTV show. I also like the whole idea of the podcast within the TV show.

Spoiler here to the endning but one of my favorites GIFs came out of Scream 2!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5