The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: The 2016 October Horror Marathon

Post by noiseredux »

one of my absolute favorite movies of all time.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Yup. It's definitely a keeper.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, the marathon continues.

3. Nightbeast

A fanged red alien in a disco suit arrives in a small town, melts a bunch of folks into stars with his laser pistol, and then mauls people for no real reason. Meanwhile, a renegade biker dude with a bad attitude beats and murders his girlfriend and then attacks the sheriff, while the mayor has the governor over for a house party that he refuses to cancel like he was in Jaws or something, and the sheriff tries to maintain order and get everyone out of town...when he's not too busy suddenly awkwardly having sex with his deputy. In fact, I want to share a quote with you from one of my favorite websites(which sadly appears to no longer be updating), BadMovies.org:

BadMovies.org wrote:The embarrassing sex scene does take place after Lisa finishes her shower. I was quite horrified when Cinder got naked and they flopped onto the bed. The actress playing Lisa was tan, while the actor playing Cinder was, ah, not tan. Take a nicely browned hot dog and put it on your plate. Now, dump a cup of cottage cheese on it. There, you have an idea of what the sex scene looked like.

To say Nightbeast is a little rough around the edges is to put things mildly. The acting is largely atrocious, but the gore and the evil alien's appearance are both well done...except for his clothes:

I like to think that he traveled 10 trillion miles only to miss disco, and that's why he's killing people.

Nightbeast is notable for a couple of reasons: first, it is actually a remake by scifi/horror director Don Dohler of his first film, The Alien Factor, and second, the soundtrack was handled by one J. J. Abrams. Yes, that J. J. Abrams. Nightbeast was the first movie he ever worked on.

Should you see it? Eh, it's probably not worth spending money on. Which is fine, because the movie is actually streaming for free on Amazon Prime.

3/31

1. Late Phases
2. Ghoulies
3. Nightbeast
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Oh my. That suit looks gloriously horrible.

I may have to watch this later.
Ack

Post by Ack »

If nothing else, Michi, I think you will find it good for a laugh. I admit I was writing jokes for it in my mind the entire time I was watching it.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

strangenova wrote:
Anyone recommend any other werewolf centric horror movies? I've seen Cursed as well.

Have you seen Trick r Treat?

I've been meaning to see Ginger Snaps for some time now.

While not scary, but action horror, I like how the Underworld series handles the lycans.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I finally got around to:

Backcountry

First off, it creeped me the eff out as expected. Something about being lost in the woods and at the mercy of a huge beast you can do almost nothing to fend off. The director got a little too "artsy" with his shots the first 15 minutes, but this calms down once the couple actually enters the woods. He did a great job capturing the isolation and hopelessness. He also really hit the mark on how quick a weekend camping trip can turn into a deadly situation. If you're looking for a different horror experience, check out some killer bear in Backcountry. It sits between genres as it's a gorey, and likely too intense of a thriller for casual watchers but yet not quite typical horror. I could see this making it difficult to find an audience. It's definitely memorable and will have you on the edge of your seats and cringing at times.

Other Additions

Check out the links in spoiler below for some creepy YouTube videos by Top5s. He does great work and covers the paranormal pretty often, even outside of October. He definitely ups his game for Halloween though. I'll be watching everything he puts out this month. Not your typical "count down" channel. So far, stay away from Ouija boards!

I've listened to more of The No Sleep Podcast (6 tales so far for Halloween!). I'll keep note of them in the spoiler MTD tab, but only mention specifically within thread if an episode really stands out. They're all well done.

2016 Month of Horror so Far:
Podcast - Count: 7
• Stuff They Don't Want You To Know: The Secret World of Psychopaths
• The No Sleep Podcast: Borrasca
• The No Sleep Podcast: The Woman Made of Glass
• The No Sleep Podcast: Dead Arm
• The No Sleep Podcast: Sisters in the Snow
• The No Sleep Podcast: You Are What You Eat
• The No Sleep Podcast: My Little Sister

Movies - Count: 1
• Backcountry

TV/Streaming - Count: 2
5 Most Haunted & Creepiest Locations in World
5 Terrifying Ouija Board Experiences & Gone Wrong Stories
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Being lost in the woods without a bear is creepy, so...

Can you listen to single eps of No Sleep, or is it like a continuous season?
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

Jagosaurus wrote:
strangenova wrote:
Anyone recommend any other werewolf centric horror movies? I've seen Cursed as well.

Have you seen Trick r Treat?

I've been meaning to see Ginger Snaps for some time now.

While not scary, but action horror, I like how the Underworld series handles the lycans.

No I've never seen that, and speaking of Underworld...there is a new one on the way.

Ok so tonight I watched Re-Animator. Another one I hadn't seen and had been meaning to for sometime. I've always heard mixed things about this movie and after watching it for myself I can say that I enjoyed it thoroughly. I like horror movies like this, it reminded me of Dead Alive, with its grotesque creatures and effects. I didn't know this was based off of Lovecraft til his name appeared on screen.

An American Werewolf In London - New To Me
Re-Animator - New To Me
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:Being lost in the woods without a bear is creepy, so...

Can you listen to single eps of No Sleep, or is it like a continuous season?

You should always bring a bear on a camping trip.

You can listen to singles. It's an anthology style podcast, so essentially 20-30 min audio dramas. Free version lets you listen to 2-3 (of 5) stories released.

As a disclaimer, if you start out with S7 finale, "Borrasca", it's pretty dark. Well done, but man...

@nova, definitely check out Trick r Treat.